Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Schroth 4pt. Harness Install

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
for these installs, on the driver's side, where does the lower right side install into? the oem seatbelt buckle?
bump..
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
bump..
Sir. If this is the harness in question then it mounts to the lower right seat bolt on the drivers seat

I run the AutoControl which is a 3 pointer but uses the same lap belt

EDIT: Here is the PDF install instructions http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Ra...structions.pdf

Joe

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jun 21, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Sir. If this is the harness in question then it mounts to the lower right seat bolt on the drivers seat

I run the AutoControl which is a 3 pointer but uses the same lap belt

EDIT: Here is the PDF install instructions http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Ra...structions.pdf

Joe

hey thanks - not the same but pretty much the same, especially for the lap portion. so I guess it does connect to the seatbelt buckle portion, according to the diagram. Hard to get to without removing the seat though.. were you able to do it without taking the seat out?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
were you able to do it without taking the seat out?
Got to remove the center console for sure to get at the bolt.

Ive removed the front seat for other things but dont remember needing to do that

Joe
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Got to remove the center console for sure to get at the bolt.

Ive removed the front seat for other things but dont remember needing to do that

Joe
gotcha - i will look into that for this weekend then.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any one can post plz where I have to screw my 4 point harnesses
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's pretty simple - they screw in where your stock belts are. For the lap belt, you anchor those portions to the bolts that currently hold the female portion of the stock buckle on your right, and the bottom portion of the stock lap/shoulder belt anchor on the floor to your left. The shoulder belts will anchor to the stock seat belt anchors for the rear passenger that would normally sit right behind the driver. To expose them, you just pop up the rear seat bench cushion by pulling to the two white plastic tabs forward that are exposed along the seam between the rear carpeting and the bottom of the rear seat bench cushion. You can keep all the stock belt hardware in place and just bolt the Schroth stuff on top of it. Make sure you route the Schroth belts through the holes in the seatback. May want to use some Loctite when you put the bolts back in so they don't loosen up, or review the service manual and torque to spec.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pulled this down from WayBackMachine to repost with the pics for anyone researching (like me). Thanks to the OP and WayBackMachine.

The installation of a 4 pt harness in your EVO is one of the few mods that will make you faster (For AutoX) as opposed to making the car faster.

Total Time for this install: 1-2 Hours, depending on your mechanical inclination, and if you have little hands to get at the console side bolts.

Tools Necessary:
Ratchet
17MM Socket
17MM Open End Wrench
You could do the whole thing with just a wrench, but it would take a lot longer.

First: Check that all the parts necessary for installation were properly included in the box, and that all latch connections are in working order.

Now on to the fun.

First remove the rear seat base by pulling on the two seat latches (ARROWS) one at a time, and lifting front of the seat. Then work the seat forward until it is free and can be removed, leaving you with.

The bolts we are going to be working with are the stock Seat belt anchor bolts (Arrows)

Lay the rear connection belt out to get the orientation of the attachment points correct and remove the inner bolt (Driveline tunnel side). Place the harness attachment eyelet on the bolt first , and then replace the stock seatbelt hardware. Screw the bolt back into its original location. Once the bolt is part way in, you will need to bend the attachment tab (Arrow) for the harness so that you can position it correctly to come through the opening in the seat. Take your time on this, as repeated bending will weaken the part.

Repeat this process for the outside bolt. Again bending the tab (Arrow) as necessary for proper clearance through the seat base.

If you are doing a passenger harness as well, repeat these steps on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Once the rear harness pieces are in place, you can replace the rear seat base. Take your time feeding both the harness and stock seatbelt pieces through the slots in the seat base. Once the rear edge of the seat base is firmly in place, you can push down the front into the latches, and you should hear them click. When both sides are latched, and you can not lift the front of the rear seat up from the floor, you will be done in the back and it will look lovely like this.

You now need to thread the harness through the front seat back holes, and make sure that you orient all the belts correctly (forgot to get a picture of this). You may need to unhook the shoulder strap from the receiver side of the lap belt as the lap belt plug would not go through my seat without using more force than I was willing to.

Once the harness is through the seat, and laid out correctly, you can start with the outside lap belt bolt. You can slide the bolt cover for the outside bolt up the belt so that you can get your socket on the bolt (Arrow) for removal.

With the bolt removed, place the lap belt tab on the bolt behind (installed closest to the b -pillar). Once you start fastening the bolt, make sure to orient the tab (Arrow) so that it does not block the ability of the stock attachement piece to pivot on the bolt as it was designed to.

Next comes the small hands part. The bolt for the console side of the lap belt is actuall on the seat frame rail. Sliding the seat all the way back helped me to get an open end wrench on this bolt (Arrow). Once removed you place the lap belt tab onto this bolt behind (closest to the seat rail) the stock belt part.

Take your time with this as it is a tight space, and you do not want to cross thread this bolt. Once this bolt is done, you can repeat on the passenger side if necessary.

Now that you have all the connections to the car complete, you can connect the two harness parts together.

Now you are ready to go out and drive with your new harnesses

The beauty of this harness system for me is that it can be neatly tucked away when not in use for AutoX, and I can still use the stock belts for normal street driving. To stow the harness, you simply need to disconnect the inside should belt from the lap belt so that the shoulder belts can be taken out of the seat back. There is plenty of room next to and under both seats to stow the harnesses out of the way.

The rear section of the harness can simpy be slipped into the space between the rear seat base and seat back. Unless you look closely, it is hard to tell it is even there.

The other great thing about these for me, is that they also do not interfere with my sons seat in the back.

Finally,
A couple of warnings.

1. Make sure that you pay attention to the orientation of the stock hardware before removing any bolts. You want these piece to go back into place the same way they were removed.

2. The drivers side inside latch piece has the wiring for the ECU to know if your seatbelt is fastened. Do not go all ape when working on this piece and break that wiring.

3. When using the harness, ALWAYS tighted the lap belt fully first. This will prevent the shoulder harnesses from pulling it up, and out of a safe position when they are tightened.

4. Close the drivers door at least half way before getting into the harness. Unless you have strangely long mutant arms, you wil not be albe to reach it once buckled in.

Now strap in and enjoy, as these type of belts will hold you firmly in place so that you can concentrate on your driving instead of holding yourself in place.

Last edited by mistersquishi; Jul 18, 2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice writeup. I wish I took pics when I installed my Buschur quick release harness bar. Wasn't too much different in terms of install