Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Schroth 4pt. Harness Install

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2004, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schroth 4pt. Harness Install

The installation of a 4 pt harness in your EVO is one of the few mods that will make you faster (For AutoX) as opposed to making the car faster.

Total Time for this install: 1-2 Hours, depending on your mechanical inclination, and if you have little hands to get at the console side bolts.

Tools Necessary:
Ratchet
17MM Socket
17MM Open End Wrench
You could do the whole thing with just a wrench, but it would take a lot longer.

First: Check that all the parts necessary for installation were properly included in the box, and that all latch connections are in working order.

Now on to the fun.
Old May 21, 2004, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

First remove the rear seat base by pulling on the two seat latches (ARROWS) one at a time, and lifting front of the seat. Then work the seat forward until it is free and can be removed, leaving you with.

The bolts we are going to be working with are teh stock Seat belt anchor bolts (Arrows)

Lay the rear connection belt out to get the orientation of the attachment points correct and remove the inner bolt (Driveline tunnel side). Place the harness attachment eyelet on the bolt first , and then replace the stock seatbelt hardware. Screw the bolt back into its original location. Once the bolt is part way in, you will need to bend the attachment tab (Arrow) for the harness so that you can position it correctly to come through the opening in the seat. Take your time on this, as repeated bending will weaken the part.

Repeat this process for the outside bolt. Again bending the tab (Arrow) as necessary for proper clearance through the seat base.

If you are doing a passenger harness as well, repeat these steps on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Once the rear harness pieces are in place, you can replace the rear seat base. Take your time feeding both the harness and stock seatbelt pieces through the slots in the seat base. Once the rear edge of the seat base is firmly in place, you can push down the front into the latches, and you should hear them click. When both sides are latched, and you can not lift the front of the rear seat up from the floor, you will be done in the back and it will look lovely like this.
Old May 21, 2004, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

You now need to thread the harness through the front seat back holes, and make sure that you orient all the belts correctly (forgot to get a picture of this). You may need to unhook the shoulder strap from the receiver side of the lap belt as the lap belt plug would not go through my seat without using more force than I was willing to.

Once the harness is through the seat, and laid out correctly, you can start with the outside lap belt bolt. You can slide the bolt cover for the outside bolt up the belt so that you can get your socket on the bolt (Arrow) for removal.

With the bolt removed, place the lap belt tab on the bolt behind (installed closest to the b -pillar). Once you start fastening the bolt, make sure to orient the tab (Arrow) so that it does not block the ability of the stock attachement piece to pivot on the bolt as it was designed to.

Next comes the small hands part. The bolt for the console side of the lap belt is actuall on the seat frame rail. Sliding the seat all the way back helped me to get an open end wrench on this bolt (Arrow). Once removed you place the lap belt tab onto this bolt behind (closest to the seat rail) the stock belt part.

Take your time with this as it is a tight space, and you do not want to cross thread this bolt. Once this bolt is done, you can repeat on the passenger side if necessary.
Old May 21, 2004, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Now that you have all the connections to the car complete, you can connect the two harness parts together.

Now you are ready to go out and drive with your new harnesses

The beauty of this harness system for me is that it can be neatly tucked away when not in use for AutoX, and I can still use the stock belts for normal street driving. To stow the harness, you simply need to disconnect the inside should belt from the lap belt so that the shoulder belts can be taken out of the seat back. There is plenty of room next to and under both seats to stow the harnesses out of the way.

The rear section of the harness can simpy be slipped into the space between the rear seat base and seat back. Unless you look closely, it is hard to tell it is even there.

The other great thing about these for me, is that they also do not interfere with my sons seat in the back.
Old May 21, 2004, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Finally,
A couple of warnings.

1. Make sure that you pay attention to the orientation of the stock hardware before removing any bolts. You want these piece to go back into place the same way they were removed.

2. The drivers side inside latch piece has the wiring for the ECU to know if your seatbelt is fastened. Do not go all ape when working on this piece and break that wiring.

3. When using the harness, ALWAYS tighted the lap belt fully first. This will prevent the shoulder harnesses from pulling it up, and out of a safe position when they are tightened.

4. Close the drivers door at least half way before getting into the harness. Unless you have strangely long mutant arms, you wil not be albe to reach it once buckled in.

Now strap in and enjoy, as these type of belts will hold you firmly in place so that you can concentrate on your driving instead of holding yourself in place.
Old May 21, 2004, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

...price, where to order?

Thanks
Old May 21, 2004, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Belts were purchased from SoloPerformance.Com.

It was less right at $400. for both drivers and passengers, with the shoulder pads (though only one set of shoulder pads is installed at this point cause the other was backordered.)
Old May 22, 2004, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Nice write-up. Is there a 5-point version?

Last edited by g6civcx; May 22, 2004 at 06:59 PM.
Old May 22, 2004, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Not unless you're willing to replace your seats, and/or cut holes in the bottom cushion...
Old May 22, 2004, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

great write up man! im hoping to do this as well. and knowing that it's a clean installation and can be tucked away for normal driving is a great relief. just that i wanted to see that done and not experiment by myself thanks man, u made my night
Old May 27, 2004, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The writeup is great.

I just installed a sparco four point harness. The installation is almost the same. Pics enclosed.
Attached Thumbnails Schroth 4pt. Harness Install-sparco.jpg  

Last edited by chinalfr; May 27, 2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old May 27, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

before someone chimes in about the dire warnings about safety bla bla bla....

these belts are DOT approved for street use.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

I'll be getting these exact same belts. About the pads, I'm very surprised to see how nice the purple pads look in the evo. I was thinking about getting blue or red pads, but now I have to consider purple too.... great... thanks

good job
Old Jul 27, 2004, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

I'm putting in a belt tomorrow or the next day. I was planning to just pull the front seat out of the car to get to the bolt by the center console. Unless I'm looking at the car crosseyed I think this would be the easy way. I'll time the lap belt part and report back
Old Jul 28, 2004, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

no no no..... take out the center console instead, thats what I did. Open that lid in the console and at the bottom you will find two screws. Take those screws out and with the parking brake fulling engaged, pull out the center console. Be careful though, the wiring for the IC sprayer switch on in the front and you don't want to go yanking on that. I just pulled the back of the console up enough to get my wrench on the nut. Very easy.

Quick Reply: Schroth 4pt. Harness Install