Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilovers in Winter

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alleggerita
If you have to you can protect your coil overs with vaseline, grease, Boeshiled, etc. But ultimately chlorides (eg salt) is not an ideal environment for stainless - 316 is the better than some. You might want to read up on chloride corrosion and stainless steel
Wow. You're the only person I've ever seen besides myself mention this. Any time I install coilovers, I coat them with a light layer of lithium grease. I've never had trouble adjusting coils because of this.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are at the mercy of what quality standards the manufacturer. Metallurgy is a big part for rust. But steel will usually always rust, the use of higher grades help slow that, but it's always matter of time.

The key is to create a barrier between the outside environment and the surface of your coilover. This is why many on here suggest lubing up the coilover in grease or vasiline. For winter going overkill can help protect against the salt + snow/water that coat our car's underbelly.

I have had my kit on for now two winters and no problem. When I talk to a few tuners and Rally Racers, their advise has been to always take apart your coilover at least every 6 months for inspection and lubrication. It sounds overkill, but if your going to run it every winter, it doesn't heart to get an alignment after adjusting the ride height. Costs me 100 dollars every 6 month for alignment. Which I think is acceptable.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just so we're all clear....do not put anything on the shock shaft itself.

- drew
Old Jan 4, 2012, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bogoonthegogo
Thansk for all your input guys, I will have to think about thsi coilover situation because its cold here in boston and salt sucks
I'm running mine through the winter, I ran coils and even bags through the new England winter, I was more worried about air ride then coils.

I just installed new ISC coils 2 weeks ago. I have since been washing my car weekly. I also will use brake cleaner and spray down my coilovers every week. BUT since we have yet to see snow, there is nothing to worry about
Old Jan 4, 2012, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
Used coil overs is almost code for stripped because of corrosion. To the guy in New Mexico, while I think you might get cold your 'winter' is a vacation for people from Ohio.

Another central OH evo..... those seem very rare to me
Old Jan 4, 2012, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Wow. You're the only person I've ever seen besides myself mention this. Any time I install coilovers, I coat them with a light layer of lithium grease. I've never had trouble adjusting coils because of this.
But...don't most coilovers come with grease/oil to apply as corrosion protection (as stated on the bottle)???? Perhaps I only purchased quality coilovers? really? I don't think so.. who's parts didn't have corrosion grease/oil to apply? Your comment confuses me
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pssst
BUT since we have yet to see snow, there is nothing to worry about
AMEN to no winter in new England lol

I'm personally running stance gr pro+ and before I put them on I used a Teflon lock spray called lock ease and is working really really well it levee a light Teflon film on the coilovers and is only about 5$ at any auto or home improvent store got mine at benny's
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
But...don't most coilovers come with grease/oil to apply as corrosion protection (as stated on the bottle)???? Perhaps I only purchased quality coilovers? really? I don't think so.. who's parts didn't have corrosion grease/oil to apply? Your comment confuses me
Unfortunately, you must reapply this oil / grease over time. What ever comes with a kit will likely not last more than a month or two. You should regularly service your coilover to ensure you have adequate protection. Especially if you live in a place where heavy salting is a way of life.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Unfortunately, you must reapply this oil / grease over time. What ever comes with a kit will likely not last more than a month or two. You should regularly service your coilover to ensure you have adequate protection. Especially if you live in a place where heavy salting is a way of life.
oh yeah no doubt... but at least you know to do it for corrosion purposes... bearing grease lasts a while (it also collects all types of grit too, but....)
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so are you guys saying that a sleeve would be best? and then maybe coat the metal with grease under it? like two different things to protect them.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
Used coil overs is almost code for stripped because of corrosion. To the guy in New Mexico, while I think you might get cold your 'winter' is a vacation for people from Ohio.
NM has real, valid winters. I have shoveled my Evo out of 3 feet of snow or more there several times. Just because it doesn't get below zero and has "Mexico" in the name doesn't mean the winters aren't valid and real.

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
KW's are the only coilovers I would consider truly "winter proof" due to their construction. Some of the more recent AST, Ohlins, Bilstein, etc are pretty darn good in that regard, but not perfect.
When I asked Bryan at JRZ about this, he said their units should hold up relatively well but of course it would shorten their span between rebuilds, unless I was really good about coming home, removing the wheels and cleaning them off. He said that would really help. I would think the same applies to other suspensions. I've put Apexi and JIC though NM winters, never doing this and they ended up with scratched up worn shock tube surfaces from the debris.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There are a few that do hold up fairly well. KWs are just the ones that are "bullet proof." Many others are almost as good. I think Myles ran his set of JRZs through a winter and they were fine later (though I'd definitely take extra special care of them).

- Andrew
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
posted this in another thread but..

bump for this.. i've been thinking about this lately.. good idea to run through a touchless wash in this case?

i've been thinking about that, or throwing some distilled water or vinegar + water mix on the coilovers.. thoughts?

there's nothing in the car wash etc that i need to concern about?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
How good coilovers are pretty much depends on how much you pay for them. The stock suspension, maybe with a spring change, is usually better than a cheap coilover plus no winter problem.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Whats the proper way to clean the threads on coilovers? Simple green and a tooth brush? Since you arn't supposed to turn the spring perches will that be enough to keep them from seizing? Or must you turn them and brush in there as well, and follow up with an alignment?