Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

bov/intake

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2008, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bov/intake

i've seen on youtube a clip of the AMS perf intake produce the "whoosh" you hear similar to a bov. my goal for my first mod is to get the whoosh sound (i like it.), what would you recommend? new bov or intake (again, its hard to judge the volume of the intake)?

also, how difficult is the bov to install yourself? assuming i'm a complete noob? thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

lol are you serious????

It's not that hard at all to install yourself, car might run like crap since your VTA though. HKS or Agency Power will get you the "whoosh" sound

Last edited by btownsoccer22; Nov 28, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 07:22 PM

yeah i'm pretty new to tuning. i mostly just read around on here and pick up what i can understand, lol.

what's VTA? and what would i need to do to install, and not run like crap?
Old Nov 28, 2008, 08:15 PM

dont be to hard on the guy!!! least he's tryin to learn!! just keep reading man more you read the more you learn
Old Nov 29, 2008, 01:37 AM

http://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1021339vw2.jpg

Try this...AMS intake and HKS SSQV BOV recirculated.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aviators
what's VTA? and what would i need to do to install, and not run like crap?
VTA is vent to atmosphere. And it does, well exactly what it says. When you let off the throttle on a boosted vehicle, and the little door slams shut, the air that is being forced through your engine from your turbo has to go somewhere. It can either be recirculated back through the turbo which is what your stock valve does, or it can shoot out into well, the atmosphere, hence creating the "whoosh" sound you are familiar with. Only problem is with a VTA BOV and stock everything else in many cars, especially Evos, your car will run rich (too much gas not enough air) everytime you let off the throttle. This can cause your car to bog and stall and cause other annoying daily driving problems. my advice, avoid a VTA BOV unless you absolutely MUST have the "whoosh" sound, although I think the stock diverter valve sounds pretty bad *** as it is....
Old Nov 29, 2008, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

LOL....

Or you can just buy one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fake-Turbo-Sound...3A1|240%3A1318
Old Nov 29, 2008, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

Spend your money on an intake...
Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Just get the AMS intake
Old Nov 29, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

if you just want the swoosh sound get an open element intake like the ams intake and the stock BOV will produce the"swoosh" sound or you can just a get a cone filter and take the airbox off. This will produce the swoosh sound as well.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by MR_Lance
VTA is vent to atmosphere. And it does, well exactly what it says. When you let off the throttle on a boosted vehicle, and the little door slams shut, the air that is being forced through your engine from your turbo has to go somewhere. It can either be recirculated back through the turbo which is what your stock valve does, or it can shoot out into well, the atmosphere, hence creating the "whoosh" sound you are familiar with. Only problem is with a VTA BOV and stock everything else in many cars, especially Evos, your car will run rich (too much gas not enough air) everytime you let off the throttle. This can cause your car to bog and stall and cause other annoying daily driving problems. my advice, avoid a VTA BOV unless you absolutely MUST have the "whoosh" sound, although I think the stock diverter valve sounds pretty bad *** as it is....

Originally Posted by EvoX_SA
if you just want the swoosh sound get an open element intake like the ams intake and the stock BOV will produce the"swoosh" sound or you can just a get a cone filter and take the airbox off. This will produce the swoosh sound as well.

makes perfect sense. thanks a lot for that explanation. i think i'll just go ahead with the ams intake, and forget the bov for now...
this may not even make sense, but if get the ams intake and remove the airbox, will that still work okay? will it maybe produce a louder sound?
Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

the AMS intake replaces the stock air box. It will produce a definite sound that you can here in the car and people on the streets will hear it as well.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

if you want the whoosh you'll have to get on ebay or the for sale and get a greddy type s....the hks sounds like a daM* bird chirping....do yourself a favor and get the intake and intercooler piping by the same company (buschur, ams, ets, etc) so it will all match up
Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:34 PM

intake

I have a ets intake and its loud enough where you can hear it . I had the agency power bov but it made the car idle all wrong and would almost cut off.. Intake is your best bet
Old Nov 30, 2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by EvoX_SA
the AMS intake replaces the stock air box. It will produce a definite sound that you can here in the car and people on the streets will hear it as well.
perfect. thanks a lot for all the help.