Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Is MR version of the Evo X undesirable for tuning?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove both models and got the MR. I had it tuned to 300 whp and it is what I want. 99.9 % of the time it will be on the street , a few track days are planned. If I wanted 400+ whp and a stiffer ride and a window rattling exhaust I would have went for the GSR. Maybe one day I will go for the 400whp, by then more knowledge and upgrades will be known on the SST. Most negative posts are from people who have not driven it. Even AMS said the tranny is radical when they tuned it. From a roll an equally powered car is toast, snapping off shifts at 7500 rpm's while the peddle is pinned is nuts. my 2 cents.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by navidf
My MR is currently at 341 wtq and 308 whp. All is well but I hate the normal mode in auto, but when shifted manually, it is ok. The sport and s-sport mode shifted manually or auto are awesome. I come from a modded 2005 STI and this feels so much better to me. I am in control of the car as I want it as it was in my STI. The only thing I miss is not being able to shift to my desired gear manually with one move ie going from 6 to 4 needs 2 taps, other than this I am loving the car. Without the tune: milage 15-16 mpg, driving experience frustrating in the higher RPMs, with some mods and tune: milage 17-18 (same driving routine) and the driving experience exhilarating. I am waiting on some star specs Dunlop Direzzas and an alignment to complete phase 1.
What kind of mods have you done? Where did you go for a tune or is it a reflash?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

See this link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...you-think.html

Originally Posted by smoothlude
What kind of mods have you done? Where did you go for a tune or is it a reflash?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:17 AM

wow. can't believe there is still so much hatred toward the SST. I love manuals as much as the average car guy, but let's face it. we all know how to heal-toe downshift, clutch kick, double-clutch, left foot brake (which has nth to do with manual), etc. but 90% of us are not as great as we like to think we are.

the point is to watch trends. these auto-manual gearboxes are the future, we're just affraid of it. there's a reason Formula, Grand Touring, Rally cars, etc all use sequential shifters: They're better! of course the SST is nothing like those, but the point is all high-end companies are making more and more trannies like it. Shift faster, easier, and don't miss gears (even the best drivers have their share of bad shifts).

You think mitsubishi is just catering to a diff customer? that's like saying "you can get the special race package with seat warmers and a bike rack".. people forget MR stands for Mitsubishi Racing. They don't offer extra cup holders. There's no "green" engine option. It's meant to be the best of the best... eventually. Hence the name "Evolution". by the end of the X era (XIX) the SST could easily be the undisputed king.

The world is changing. Until then my track car will be a manual. if i were as good as i thought and could get sponsors, i'd be all for sequential. but i love this SST stuff for street cars. the day they take over, all the manual-or-nothing lovers will just have comfort amongst themselves, like fat women telling each other they're beautiful...

though beauty is in the eye of the beholder. get what fits you. and love it. let's keep making all types of trannies better and stop hating.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PR_Mivec
it is not the same

automated engine fuel and timing can be controlled or altered where as the auto tanny is not.. because you can argue it is sst, double clutch blah blah,, but it is still automatic

the tranny it self is a non serviceable item making it sophisticated crap (pardon me those who have mr)

i have a close friend w/ an MR and another one W/ a Ralliart and both fried the tranny because of power.. solution.. 5speed tranny
No torque converter = not an automatic (come on man!)

I have been a manual only guy, absolutley hated the thought of not having a clutch pedal, and despised automatics with a passion all my life. I still hate automatics, but the first time I drove the xMR I was sold!

A manual has been my choice because it is the most efficient/effective way to get the most out of a car. I now believe that proper twin clutch transmissions like the SST fill that role. The less time you have to spend taking your hand off the wheel to shift the better, that is why rally cars have dog boxes and shift levers at steering wheel height.

It is only non serviceable because no one has released upgrades yet. Just like the BMW and VW SMG/DSGs were at first.

Once clutch pack upgrades for the xMR become available and tuners figure the SST ecu out WHP/WTQ numbers will go up. The GSR cannot handle 500-600WHP without a serious clutch upgrade, so why sell the MR short because it cannot (as far as we know) handle more than 350tq flywheel stock.

I am tired of reading about how bad people think the xMR is, and how their dumb *** friends fried a transmission (most likely just the clutch) in one with too much power. They knew that would happen, why didn't they wait for a clutch pack upgrade? If they just wanted to be guineea pigs and test the limit that is fine. But no one whines about all the clutches that get burnt in the GSR. And plenty of GTR transmissions have blown up just from using the launch control, without even adding power.

The xMR has it's faults, but they should be kept in proper perspective.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO-IX-MR

I have been a manual only guy, absolutley hated the thought of not having a clutch pedal, and despised automatics with a passion all my life. I still hate automatics, but the first time I drove the xMR I was sold!

A manual has been my choice because it is the most efficient/effective way to get the most out of a car. I now believe that proper twin clutch transmissions like the SST fill that role. The less time you have to spend taking your hand off the wheel to shift the better, that is why rally cars have dog boxes and shift levers at steering wheel height.

It is only non serviceable because no one has released upgrades yet. Just like the BMW and VW SMG/DSGs were at first.

Once clutch pack upgrades for the xMR become available and tuners figure the SST ecu out WHP/WTQ numbers will go up. The GSR cannot handle 500-600WHP without a serious clutch upgrade, so why sell the MR short because it cannot (as far as we know) handle more than 350tq flywheel stock.

I am tired of reading about how bad people think the xMR is, and how their dumb *** friends fried a transmission (most likely just the clutch) in one with too much power. They knew that would happen, why didn't they wait for a clutch pack upgrade? If they just wanted to be guineea pigs and test the limit that is fine. But no one whines about all the clutches that get burnt in the GSR. And plenty of GTR transmissions have blown up just from using the launch control, without even adding power.

Right on! I can't have said it any better. The more I drive my MR and figure its ways...amazing tranny and car.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by izzyevo
Right on! I can't have said it any better. The more I drive my MR and figure its ways...amazing tranny and car.
Thanks! Amen brother!!!
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
btw clutch upgrade and transmission cooler for the SST is in development and should be for sale within a month.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

couldn't agree more
i get sad and depressed when people talk sh*t about the SST and the MR..
Old Apr 16, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pcasupreme
couldn't agree more
i get sad and depressed when people talk sh*t about the SST and the MR..
This is a good time for ou to walk away from forum **** talk and just admire your ride as it was meant to be.
you should try playing COD and see how you feel after all the negativity.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

I'm all for this type of transmission tech to mature into something better, just so long as it is done with other peoples money for the first few years. When average shops and people at home can change the clutches without spending 30 percent of the cars value on the trans, then it will probably become a bit more popular.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by izzyevo
This is a good time for ou to walk away from forum **** talk and just admire your ride as it was meant to be.
you should try playing COD and see how you feel after all the negativity.
play counterstrike 1.6, i can handle the **** talk, its just we MR and SST owners have to stick together

Last edited by pcasupreme; Apr 16, 2009 at 08:14 PM.