Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Which flash is better?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which flash is better?

I am new to the EVO X and i just ordered my catback and HKS drop in filter so far.

Next, i am thinking of getting my ECU flashed and that's all i am going to do the car.

so, i've read that i can do:

1- Mail in flash with Vishnu Tuning (Vish), and i read that they got close to 80hp and 80lbtrq. wow...

2- I can order a Cobb thingy and i can upload the map/flash myself without down time.

both are in the same price range.

now, the question i have is the performance that i will get from each and which is better (beside the obvious downtime with Vishnu)

Any opinion advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get an AP
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

I am apologizing before I even start... If you call the AccessPort a Cobb "thingy" you would be wasting that system due to your lack of knowledge, the vishnu tune wouldn't be a bad idea since he is a renowned evo tuner, but another option you have is an ECUTEK flash. From an inexpirenced evo owner/driver I think an Ecutek flash would be your best solution since your tuner is dealing with all the tuning. IF there is no authorized Ecutek tuner in your area then the second best option is the mail-in tune. But you can always gain knowledge of your AP once you own it... once again im sorry if this offends you...
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

All methodes provide the same types of hp numbers. I say go in to a local shop, or drive a distance and get a custom map tune for your car. Thats what I plan on doing when I hit 2k =)
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
A mail-in tune is to be avoided unless it is customized to your car by e-mail. That is what Mellon and TTP do on their Evo 8/9. I do not know if they have this service for the Evo X. Each Evo is different and waht works on one Evo does not work on the other.

I know this from experience tuning the X so far. I have had two Evo Xs with a drop-in filter (one with a Works and the other with HKS) and nothing else. Each one needed a different fuel map to get to the desired AFR as logged by a wideband. Furthermore, the timing profile was different. One car was more resistent to knock than the other. With a mail-in flash you cannot get the desired AFR/timing on YOUR car. It is based on some other Evo X.

Mail-in flashes are to be avoided, unless they are customized to your car. Find a good local tuner and get a custom tune.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Project_Evo
All methodes provide the same types of hp numbers. I say go in to a local shop, or drive a distance and get a custom map tune for your car. Thats what I plan on doing when I hit 2k =)
I just posted the same thing, but you beat me by a hair
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Deep Motoring
I am apologizing before I even start... If you call the AccessPort a Cobb "thingy" you would be wasting that system due to your lack of knowledge, the vishnu tune wouldn't be a bad idea since he is a renowned evo tuner, but another option you have is an ECUTEK flash. From an inexpirenced evo owner/driver I think an Ecutek flash would be your best solution since your tuner is dealing with all the tuning. IF there is no authorized Ecutek tuner in your area then the second best option is the mail-in tune. But you can always gain knowledge of your AP once you own it... once again im sorry if this offends you...

Not offended at all, in fact, i am very ignorant and new to the terminology.

I love the car.

btw, i called it a "thingy" because i don't know what to call that little device they have.

I see, its AccessPort?

Thanks for the advice
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:00 PM

Its hard to find someone in Michigan.

I visited a shop called Jan Speed Industries and they said they don't have any software for the X yet.

that sux.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tekno
Not offended at all, in fact, i am very ignorant and new to the terminology.

I love the car.

btw, i called it a "thingy" because i don't know what to call that little device they have.

I see, its AccessPort?

Thanks for the advice
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3942 Bam!

And thanks for being honest, anyone on here would be lying if they said they weren't ignorant. I once said something about a car from that line in FnF about the manifold... Didn't even know what a manifold was. I also called Hoosier - hos-E-A one time, thinking it was some fancy French brand. Gotta start learning somewhere. No one is born a doctor, just some have the ability/time to understand it all better

If the Vishnu tune is the same price, and you have no local tuners who can do ECUTEK or EcuFlash then get the AP for sure.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:52 AM

The Cobb AP is a blast. I have had mine for 2 weeks and am impressed with the additional power.

Part of your decision should be based on how much you intend to mod.

If you're staying more or less stock, then there are definitely some advantages with the AP. Also gives you complete flexibility to change maps as needed, or even flash back to stock in about 3 minutes.

If you go this route, I recommend that you shop the vendors on this forum and request prices via PM. You should not have to pay full retail.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AP- dont waste your money on any thing else. with the AP you can change many times then sell when you dont want it anymore. investment i say
Old Apr 25, 2009, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

AccessPORT gets my vote. Loads of support and great vendors out there for the COBB AP.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 08:27 PM

get it tune at a shop bro, i drove 11 hrs to cali just to get it tune and trust me, you'll be very very happy.