Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aftermarket Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield????

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield????

Who is interested in seeing a turbo exhaust manifold heat shield that is design for aftermarket exhaust manifold? I have not seen anything like this being sold. The heat shield would be bolted to the exhaust manifold bolts. The enclosed area would be oversized to fit the larger exhaust manifold. The heat shield would have to be a two piece design so you can have access to the exhaust manifold bolts. The heat shield would incorporate a small top vent with a flap over top, just like the stock heat shield.

This is something I am looking for. Unfortunately I don’t have the tools or the metal fabrication techniques to manufacture something like this. I would like to see a vendor design something like this.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Here's my new setup:

MAP short-runner exhaust manifold with a custom heatshield to protect the plastic valve cover! I also got MAP's firewall and sensor shields, but those are production pieces with pictures on their website so I didn't bother taking any. The manifold is coated internally with MAP's black ceramic (same that's on my turbo).

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9990004-post45.html
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

i would deffinitly be interested
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

i have a tomioka mani btw
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

I emailed map performance about that turbo manifold heat shield and they said they would only make it if they had 10 buyers.
I like the turbo manifold heat shield that map performance made, although i think they should have made it cover over top of the manifold and part of the turbo like the stock heat shield.

I am sure one of these manufactures would make one but i think we need to show some interest in the product. I could make some getto fab heat shield, but it not something i want. I prefer a clean OEM look.

Many other people are just suggesting running exhaust wrap. I hate the exhaust wrap. It looks ugly. It soaks up water and causes corrosion on your manifold. I prefer some thing more aesthetically pleasing.

I also dont believe that ceramic coating the exhaust manifold is enough to reduce the heat radiation.

Its important to run a heat shield on the evo X since the turbo is so close to many other components. AMS shows that one of their cars started on fire because of the lack of heat shield
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...atch-fire.html
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
I emailed map performance about that turbo manifold heat shield and they said they would only make it if they had 10 buyers.
I like the turbo manifold heat shield that map performance made, although i think they should have made it cover over top of the manifold and part of the turbo like the stock heat shield.

I am sure one of these manufactures would make one but i think we need to show some interest in the product. I could make some getto fab heat shield, but it not something i want. I prefer a clean OEM look.

Many other people are just suggesting running exhaust wrap. I hate the exhaust wrap. It looks ugly. It soaks up water and causes corrosion on your manifold. I prefer some thing more aesthetically pleasing.

I also dont believe that ceramic coating the exhaust manifold is enough to reduce the heat radiation.

Its important to run a heat shield on the evo X since the turbo is so close to many other components. AMS shows that one of their cars started on fire because of the lack of heat shield
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...atch-fire.html
that last point you made about AMS's situation is what makes me need a heat shield. thats the scariest thing I can think of :x

yeah, deffinitly interested in a heat shield.

in the design you showed, does that basically eliminate the need for the gasket to the head?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...old-cover.html

I think this may be what your looking for. I bought one, and it works great, plus gives a cool look. Everyone asks, "wow, whats that"? lol
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWDralliart09
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...old-cover.html

I think this may be what your looking for. I bought one, and it works great, plus gives a cool look. Everyone asks, "wow, whats that"? lol
this only fits the stock exhaust manifold. he wants one for an aftermarket tubular
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:00 PM

What website can I buy a exhaust manifold heat shield from?