Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Come on now Mitsubishi... Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:51 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by UFO
So, my car is the only car that suffers from the 5K hesitation, MAF issues, dash rattle, 2nd/3rd gear grind, and has the seats falling apart. Really? Hey, I bought mine in February too; we're special.
My second X is better than my first.
STIs have the chipping in the rear too. You have to address it with mudflaps ASAP, or the striking from rocks will just continue.

I have no hesitation, but I am tuned.
Never had staples showing on seats in either X.
No gear grinds in this X, but 2nd and 3rd on the last one.
Never had any pillars come loose.
Never smelled clutch except first day of ownership on previous X.
No MAF issues.

I do have maddening rattles. The glove box is one, ashtray is another, and the last is somewhere between the driver side doors.

I am sorry you've had these issues.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UFO
Yeah, my C pillars randomly fall off too .
I went to the parking lot and took a picture...here we go.

I'm glad I havent had any passengers on the backseat. It's f'n embarassing

but, this car has been fast since I took delivery in June 09. However, I had it reflashed because of the erratic idle.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:53 AM

IX MR my last Evo by far is the fastest Evo stock out here in the US....driven all RS and GSR VII and IX.. nothing compared to the IX MR
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO
You see, I don't believe that. The gearbox is notchy, the paint is terrible, all of them came with a horrible tune and there is a design problem with the seats. Unless the stealership fixed all of that before you bought it then you will have experienced at least one of those.
The X is not perfect, that's for sure. The notchy gearbox, subpar paintjob are little annoyances that I've learned to live with. I've had no problems with the seats (even have an infant carseat in the back), there are occasional squeaks, but had an 07 camry which was worse... even BMWs squeak too.

I can't really fault Mitsu for the terrible tune, they probably made it this way since your average Evo buyer loves to mod and immediately puts performance bolt-ons to the car (intake, exhaust, etc.) which leans it out. If they didn't give the tune some allowance, mods would lean it out too much and start knocking the engine, thus increasing the risk of damaging it.

You have to admit, the X is a LOT of car for the money. You can't expect everything to be topnotch for a $30K car. But, for a $400 tune... you get at least 60whp more which is quite adequate for a DD (even on a newb track). Invest an additional $3K into the car and 100whp over stock should easily be attainable (FQ-400 performance, anyone?).

Last edited by tipoytm; Jul 13, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by teamnemesis3
my 2nd AND 3rd gear grind all the time unless i shift a certain way....

weird thing is that everyone else about 5 PErsons.. who have drivin my car "friend and co-workes btw" and did not let them know about the problem"2nd and 3rd" I then ask them is ther anything wrong with the car??? the answer is always NO NO NO greabox "NO" cluch "NO" it "shift smooth" lol....

main reason I haven't tooken it to the stearship^^^^ everything is else perfect no seat problem no rattle etc.

my car now has 1.5 k and it's still slow so it ain't getting any faster bro
my co-worker who owns a IX MR didnt say anything about the 2nd gear being notchy either.

As I've previously mentioned before, Its easier to engage 2nd at 3,000rpm. I dont have any problem from 3rd to 2nd. It's always 1st to 2nd.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:59 AM

TRUE ^^^^^^^ I have noticed that if you shift at a higher RPM it's 100 times BETTER from 1st to 2nd
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

It's probably the reason why my co-worker with IX MR didnt feel the notchy gears. When he test drove mine, I told him to drive it like he owns it. He was shifting at higher RPMs. But when I was in his stock IX MR, my brain was pressing against the back of my skull. It's that crazy fast! I thought it was just a X hatred. But those IXs are f'n quick!!!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:54 AM
EvoM Administrator

This is NOT a comparison thread to the CT9A, but a problems observation thread. VIII and IX owners that want to troll this thread ought to think long and hard before doing so.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:59 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
My second X is better than my first.
STIs have the chipping in the rear too. You have to address it with mudflaps ASAP, or the striking from rocks will just continue.

I have no hesitation, but I am tuned.
Never had staples showing on seats in either X.
No gear grinds in this X, but 2nd and 3rd on the last one.
Never had any pillars come loose.
Never smelled clutch except first day of ownership on previous X.
No MAF issues.

I do have maddening rattles. The glove box is one, ashtray is another, and the last is somewhere between the driver side doors.

I am sorry you've had these issues.

It's almost as if I don't have any protection there at all. I would hate to think what the rears would look like without them.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Could be the 5k hesitation is too aggressive with the timing advance, despite the rich tune. When people say "rich is safe" that may be true but within reason. There is a point where it is washing the cylinders with fuel and causing extra wear. Running so rich that the car backfires and hesitates with overly advanced timing is a poor way to release a car to the public in my opinion.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:14 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by UFO

It's almost as if I don't have any protection there at all. I would hate to think what the rears would look like without them.
I moved my RAs as far out as I could without showing a gap. I have 4k on this car, and it is black. I put the flaps on immediately after purchase, and have nary a chip.

My last one was blue. At 4k, that car looked sandblasted, destroyed with no flaps.

I get made fun of for how far they stick out by other Evo owners, but they have worked great for me. I'd adjust them all the way out to right before they gap if I were you. If you want added insurance, that xpel film is supposed to work. I just haven't found a need for it.

I am really very sorry for your troubles. I'd say you are in the top 1% of owners with major issues from the factory.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

I cant stand my mysterious rattles

Last edited by Noize; Jul 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:26 AM
EvoM Administrator

Please leave Evo VIII and IX comparisons out of here, everyone. I am tired of cleaning this thread. One side says something, the other side gets butthurt and feels the need to respond. Its a vicious cycle and all it is doing is taking the thread off topic.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

For some who say the problems should be expected from a $30k car.... There are other Japanese cars for well under $30k that are built to a higher standard.... Also, some MR owners paid way over $30k for there's. So, I disagree with that statement, and say that NONE of these issues should be so prevalent in almost every X. Sure, the occasional squeek and loose part is expected, but damn... Mine, fortunately, has only a few of the issues. But one of note, was an oil leak from the timing cover? Don't know exactly the part's name, but regardless, there was a TSB for it out. The service dept called the main service # to confirm that its covered under warranty (why it wouldn't baffles me), and they still haven't called me back with the confirmation... Is there ANY way I'd have to pay for something that has a TSB out for it?? Also, I asked them to check the clutch and notchy gearbox, and the guy came back and said everything felt normal (even though it was only the 2nd X he had ever driven...). Oh, and can you guys push up the back part of the headliner above where the passengers' heads would be? Is it supposed to be THAT loose?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

I've had numerous issues, terrible paint, fabric on the seats coming loose, 9 out of 10 shifts from 1st to 2nd are jerky as all get up (you have to shift perfectly in order for it to be smooth, have had the passenger side aero kit replaced 5 times, rattles like a mother, they refused to reflash the car, when the car is cold third gear grinds terribly so, car has refused to shift for me before on the highway. Yes, the clutch grabs well, something just isn't right with the transmission and I've told them repeatably and yet the refuse my claims each and every time!!! Not to mention the car runs terribly rich, I defiantly have enough issues to file a lemon law claim, next time maybe I wilL???

This by all means is the cheapest car I've ever purchased for 41k! At times I would purchase it all over again and at other times I want out of it! It's simply has too many flaws for a car that cost this much, I could handle all the other issues but the transmission and paint! Those upset me the most!

Quick Reply: Come on now Mitsubishi... Seriously?