Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Come on now Mitsubishi... Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its YOUR car not the evo. take that list to the dealership
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UFO
So, my love/hate relationship with the Evo X continues.
  • Looks like somebody took a shotgun to the rear door area due to rock chips - I haven't had a problem with this, but my car is silver so it may hide it. I also have the OEM lip kit, which takes some of the beating from rocks.
  • Seats constantly coming apart (fixed by an upholstery shop) - Nope
  • Interior C pillar coverings randomly falling off - Nope
  • Rattle in dash, near windshield, that neither I or the dealer can find. It's driving me crazy. - My glove box did this until I took all of my crap out of it. I think it was a CD rattling against the side of the glovebox, because it hasn't happened since. The rest of the dash has been fine, and I even pulled it apart to install a nav unit.
  • Rattle under steering wheel that was 2 nuts that weren't even finger tight. - Nope
  • Car hesitates at 5K RPM. Stealership refuses to reflash - Nope
  • MAF is blown right now. Driving round in limp mode until I can get it taken care of - Nope
  • 2nd & 3rd gear still grind. Stealership says nothing is wrong - Nope. My 2nd is notchy when cold, but I've never had a gear "grind."
  • Car still smells like burnt clutch everytime I get on the gas in earnest - Nope
  • Is it really this slow? - Perrin Stage III on mine, not slow. :-)
  • Had the hood latch recall done (although mine was fine) and now the plastics down there don't fit - Nope
See bold text.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xtremist

This by all means is the cheapest car I've ever purchased for 41k! At times I would purchase it all over again and at other times I want out of it! It's simply has too many flaws for a car that cost this much, I could handle all the other issues but the transmission and paint! Those upset me the most!
New Subaru's have the same crappy paint but their primer is just as bad so 08 Imprezas are rusting. I have some chips but at least the primer is still there. As well at least EVO X owners don't have to worry about the rod knock before the car hits 5000 miles such as with 09 Subaru cars with the 2.5L turbo engine.

Not saying that the EVO X is the definition of quality but all the Japanese manufacturers are having the same paint issues and the guy next to me at work has taken his Civic in for six unscheduled visits to the dealer in less than a year and only one for me which was for CEL wich the latest flash has corrected. As well a guy at work with a new Nissan Titan that everytime it rains fills his interior and the dealer can't seem to find the leak.

Bottom line is that there are thousands of parts on vehicles and sometimes **** happens. People seem to think that every vehicle rolling off the lots should be perfect well that has never been the case and never will. As well manufactuers are mandated to install more and more equipment in cars all the time adding more complex parts and systems. Problem is many of you are young and don't realize how bad cars in the 70's and 80's were.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:59 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTS-SB
its YOUR car not the evo. take that list to the dealership
Do some of you guys just flat out to refuse that this car has problems? If I was the only one complaining about the problems I have then I would suggest it was just my car, yet there are others in this very thread with the exact same problems...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

I would take it to the dealership and have them go through your list and if they give you grief call MMNA directly.. These problems are hit and miss with the X's, some have them and some don't.

The rock chips are a very common problem and Mitsu actually came out with a clear bra kit to cover the trouble spot. Part Number: ALE08YXX01

I had the same problem with the upholstery. The staples started pulling away and the dealer paid for an upholstery shop to fix it.

The C & A Pillars falling off is ridiculous shotty craftsmanship and they should fix it without question.

I've never had a problem with rattles so I'm not sure what you can do about that.

I had the 5K rpm hesstation but the dealer fixed that for me, it took like 20 minutes so i'm not sure why your dealer is being such a hardass.

The grinding gears seems to be a very common problem. Some have solved it by using a different tranny fluid.

Yes the car is slow in stock form.

I had the hood latch recall fixed and had no other issues.

If your dealership is fighting you on these issues I would find another dealership fast or as I stated above call Mitsu corporate and ask them for help. It's hard to believe they can be such dicks about this stuff when it is in fact work for their techs in this slow time and I'm pretty sure they get reimbursed through Mitsu for any warranty work they do.

Good Luck.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

My car has got the usual paint and staple in seat issue. both driver and passenger seat lost one staple and I keep having to tuck the remaining staple back in.

I had an 02' s2000, 04' STI, 03 SVT Cobra, 04' G35 coupe, 06' EVO IX. My X has more chips in the front bumper/hood and sides than all my other cars had combined. I don't know why the IX had less chips than the X though even after 70k+ miles. None of my previous cars had clear bra besides the small patch given by the manufacturer or dealer.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO
Do some of you guys just flat out to refuse that this car has problems? If I was the only one complaining about the problems I have then I would suggest it was just my car, yet there are others in this very thread with the exact same problems...
Many have the bad paint, poor tune, notchy 5-speed and seat issues. They are all correctable to a degree (3M doesn't change the fact that the paint is ****). The rest are more isolated and not big enough to put a damper on the overall enjoyment of driving these cars.

As well we all bought the first model year of a 100% new design. That old saying of not recommending the purchase of the first year of a car wasn't coined for the just EVO you know.

Last edited by heavyD; Jul 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

* Looks like somebody took a shotgun to the rear door area due to rock chips - Get a clear bra or Mud Flaps
* Seats constantly coming apart (fixed by an upholstery shop) - Yes, take it in they will fix it
* Interior C pillar coverings randomly falling off - No, sometimes i think they should be more snug
* Rattle in dash, near windshield, that neither I or the dealer can find. It's driving me crazy. - Mine come and go, but think about it, with all the vibrations and stiff suspension, what do you think will happen over time... no to mention cheap, think plastic.. there is a fix, use more sound deadening material or thicker materials....
* Rattle under steering wheel that was 2 nuts that weren't even finger tight. - No
* Car hesitates at 5K RPM. Stealership refuses to reflash - Yes, but eventually they did, but you could always get a reflash from a member here
* MAF is blown right now. Driving round in limp mode until I can get it taken care of - No, but if this is true you should not be driving around.
* 2nd & 3rd gear still grind. Stealership says nothing is wrong - Notchy, goes away as time goes one and also shift better when you are at higher rpm
* Car still smells like burnt clutch everytime I get on the gas in earnest - It did in the beginning and I even took it in for this problem.. It is all good now, the clutch just needed some time, it is normal.
* Is it really this slow? - Yes
* Had the hood latch recall done (although mine was fine) and now the plastics down there don't fit right - Haven't been done yet
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by UFO

I really don't have any problem you mentioned on your list except only have a little rattles but I don't think it's a problem for me.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

its only your car, it sounds like a lemon and a piece of ****e
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by UFO
  • Looks like somebody took a shotgun to the rear door area due to rock chips NOPE
  • Seats constantly coming apart (fixed by an upholstery shop) NOPE
  • Interior C pillar coverings randomly falling off NOPE
  • Rattle in dash, near windshield, that neither I or the dealer can find. It's driving me crazy. NOPE besides some from obvious coins i put in the ash tray
  • Rattle under steering wheel that was 2 nuts that weren't even finger tight. NOPE
  • Car hesitates at 5K RPM. Stealership refuses to reflash NOPE
  • MAF is blown right now. Driving round in limp mode until I can get it taken care of NOPE
  • 2nd & 3rd gear still grind. Stealership says nothing is wrong NOPE
  • Car still smells like burnt clutch everytime I get on the gas in earnest NOPE
  • Is it really this slow? Slow?. I wouldn't consider it slow. For its dollar per power, i'd say you'd be hard spent to get any better.
  • Had the hood latch recall done (although mine was fine) and now the plastics down there don't fit right NOPE
To be honest, i think Mitsu just had awkward quality control on this car. Some cars were built under the supervision of Bob* (cars came out good), other were built under Greg* (bad ). My car is fine. No problems with the transmission as so many have stated. The only problems I've had are problems I caused.

Some of us are lucky, while some...not so much. I love my car. Its a delight.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

before i say anything im literally knocking on wood just incase. but ive had no problems at all with my x: its fast as sh*t, looks amazing with no unusual sounds neither inside nor outside, gears shift great (although im getting a shortshifter soon, but only cause my friend has it and i love it). maybe you just got a bad one from the dealer. and are you pressing the clutch all the way down when you shift? a lot of people dont realize that they're not fully pressing the clutch down and end up grinding their gears.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

only noobs grind gears.
the only time i have ever grind a gear was when i press the clutch like 1/3
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:45 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by empirepb210
its only your car, it sounds like a lemon and a piece of ****e
Well, I think it's a little unfair of you to be calling my car a piece of ****e... You hurt my feelings.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:46 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by empirepb210
only noobs grind gears.
the only time i have ever grind a gear was when i press the clutch like 1/3

Quick Reply: Come on now Mitsubishi... Seriously?