Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

(maybe) dumb question bout MR's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by James Bond
Do you have to keep the gas pressed on UP SHIFTS for it to rev-match like I do on my STUPID SMG in my m3? I love the SMG until I took it through the twisites and realized I have to keep my foot on the gas for it to rev match up shift.
Nope, the SST is an Automatic, or Simi-Automatic, or Automated clutch manual if you will. The SST rev matches auotmagically on both down-shifts and upshifts; cool stuff!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by James Bond
Do you have to keep the gas pressed on UP SHIFTS for it to rev-match like I do on my STUPID SMG in my m3? I love the SMG until I took it through the twisites and realized I have to keep my foot on the gas for it to rev match up shift.
nope... the computer will manage the shifting, clutching, and making sure it all goes smoothly. that said, the computer does react different depending on your foot, since it is trying to anticipate what you are going to do gear-wise, so sometimes there's some lag (~1/2s) when it gets confused.

as for your smg and having to press the gas to rev match up shifts... that's really weird. in a full manual car, when you up shift, you don't gas it... you just time your clutch so that when the rpms drop in enough, you engage. gassing it will actually slow down your up shift since you have to wait for the needle to drop again. why does your car need throttle to up shift?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by St1g
I usually just let the computer shift. It's more precise anyway. Also it's hard to time shifts at redline. Also I got the ams knob to make the tunnel shifter longer and easier to reach when I can't reach the paddles like during a turn.
Oh hell no. The computer is just a stupid as any other automatic transmission I've ever driven, and even more so now. What I hate the most is being in 2nd gear, in auto mode, at about 4k RPMs. Smash the gas, and the car actually downshifts to first, smashes against the rev limiter, then immediately shifts back to second, then quickly third. It didn't need to downshift at all because the power from 4k to redline is actually faster than what the computer decided to do. For that reason, I hardly ever use auto mode. My shifts, once I learned the limitations and delays, are more precise.

Top that off wth coming into a 90 degree corner and trying to accelerate out as quickly as possible in normal mode, the tranny has a serious amount of lag. Manually shifting down to prepare for the corner, is much better.

Originally Posted by JHizzle
anyone with an MR im sure dosen't really use the paddle shifters. when i drive my lancer i cant remember the last time i really used the paddle shifters, if im in sport mode im using the actual shifter not the paddles.
I use the paddle shifters about 10% of the time when driving in manual mode. Not often, but I use em. I prefer to use the stick to shift.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:44 PM

Your best bet is to google: dual clutch systems or sequental manual gear boxes. Those setups are the same for the EVO MR. The EVO MR's tranny is acutally built from the same plant that BMW's SMG is built from. The dual clutch system is perfect for single turbo applications, as well as track cars. If you want to drop the clutch at 6k RPMs and slide around the corner, GSR is your bet.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was looking the SST was just not an option. It just cant handle the power levels I plan on making. Something to consider if you are a HP junkie.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by St1g
...as for your smg and having to press the gas to rev match up shifts... that's really weird. in a full manual car, when you up shift, you don't gas it... you just time your clutch so that when the rpms drop in enough, you engage. gassing it will actually slow down your up shift since you have to wait for the needle to drop again. why does your car need throttle to up shift?
The new SMG and the new Cobalt turbo manual (and maybe others) have a feature that allows for WOT up-shifts without lifting to keep the turbo spooled during acceleration, it does in fact automatically hold the engine at or close to the proper rpm for the next gear while WOT with the clutch pushed in, a form of rev matching on up shift that makes sense in turbo cars with manual gearbox's. They may automatically rev match on down shift also, if not it is only a matter of time.

I sometimes scare myself when I think of all the electronically controlled stuff in my Evo X MR-T that could (and probably will ) break!