Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

help start moving :(

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help start moving :(

I seriously can't figure out the way to get moving in this X GSR. I have my foot on the clutch and brake. Asap I transfer from brake to gas my clutch beings to lift. I apply low rev to 1.5k to 2k. I lift the clutch slowly and roll back quite a bit. Boo too slow.... I do it faster with the right amount of rev and believe me and the car seems to jump then want to stall at the bite point. (definatley didn't happen with the tC scion I drove yesterday). I do not stop my left foot halfway while doing this clutch action... I am doing it in one smooth motion. I'm also not popping out the clutch either. There is no sense of a clutch grab feeling too :[

Can sum1 please tell me the proper way to drive this vehicle? It has been almost 3 months and I still stall around like no tomorrow. It's very discouraging. I have tried numerous techniques such as heel on floor + pivot ankle and that's just not fast enough. I practice everyday and keep messing up just from starting over and over again. Other than that, driving when moving is flawless. I don't really have anyone to show me and I know if I continue what I am doing, I am damaging the car. For those with an X GSR please stop a second and guide me through your feet motions in exact detail. Thanks for your help guys. This is my dream car and I really want to enjoy it.

Last edited by tehSteve; Jun 3, 2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Is this a serious thread? No offense but 3 months? I mean I can understand the occasional stall but when you say "I stall around like no tomorrow" does that mean you stall it all the time?

To me the evo tends to have a late engagement so once you feel it to start to move hold it for a second or two and then finally let off the clutch.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

1. learn how to drive properly

2. rev the car higher than 1.5k rpm
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

gas clutch gas?
raise clutch up to bite (engine rpm drop) then gas?
raise clutch up to just before bite... then gas while lifting up the clutch?

with vdubs and scions asap i touch the gas pedal I begin to lift the clutch in one motion from the bottom up. And broke please don't tell me to learn to drive. I am busting my *** everyday and I already mentioned I apply enough revs and can drive other lower end manual cars fine. I just can't get it for this specific car... I'm sorry I'm not as skilled as you probably were transitioning cars.

Last edited by tehSteve; Jun 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:28 AM

The Evo X is an AWD drive car so you need to give more gas than an FWD. I noticed that when I went from my FWD car to the EVO X. It's very different. Also the Evo X pick up point is very high. Meaning you have to let the clutch pedal go up until it's almost up and then you leave it there for a second while giving it a bit of gas. Sometimes I just give it gas and let the clutch slip. Just do it really really slowly until you get the hang of it. If you let the clutch up very slowly it shouldn't even stall without giving any gas. The trick is with the Evo X you can't do it in one motion when from a stop. You just lift it up to the pick up point and then pause and wait for it to grab then give more gas. Also try it a few times on a road that doesn't make you roll back. If that fails you can always have the e-brake on and release it when the call start to pull forward.

Last edited by Scratchy; Jun 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

do you apply throttle before the bite or during the bite?
meaning left foot comes up first to bite... then once you feel the revs drop transfer brake to gas?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:36 AM

You can apply a bit of throttle before the bite but you will risk burning the clutch out sooner than normal.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:38 AM

Also.. I generally rev it up higher if I want to get moving faster
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

blip the accelerator abit while releasing the clutch
after u release the clutch halfway
start steping on the accelerator softly while releasing the clutch all the way to the top
hope that helps
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

makes me wonder if you already fried the clutch
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:51 AM

If you are experienced driving a manual car then the evo is extremely easy to drive. If you are not (as you clearly aren't) then it'll be a bear to drive. You picked the wrong car to decide to learn to drive manual on. Driving a manual car well is like dancing it has to be smooth and flowing and your feet have to know what they're doing without excessive brain power.

My advice to you is to rent a manual car for a couple of weeks and put a thousand miles or so on it using b roads as much as possible to force you to use the all 3 of your pedals.

And further more don't bring your inability to drive manual car woes to a forum then ***** when others point out the obvious root of your problems.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

1. mash clutch and gas pedal all the way to the floor.
2. remove your foot from the clutch pedal as FAST as you can
3. ???
4. PROFIT! Or was it break things? I forget...
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

obviously i came to the wrong forum seeking help.
your right absolutely right I've never drove stick before and you know me personally enough to say that. cheers to the people who tried. And the way I come off on the forum reflects exactly like some of the more experienced people act like here when a newb has questions. Like a hotshot.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Push gas to the floor with clutch pushed in until you are hitting the launch controller (rev-limiter). Slowly let the clutch up until it is about to engage then let the clutch out fast with the gas still pressed to the floor. If the engine bogs you let it out to fast, if you smell clutch you slipped it too much. Just make sure no one is in front of you whenever you stop at a red light. Be prepared to break things.

Have a nice day!

P.S. Use the e-brake method someone mentioned before in this thread while on a hill, especially when you are first learning. Once you become more comfortable with the car and clutch controls slowly stop using it. Kind of like training wheels on a bike.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Steve, I sent you a PM, hope it helps. BTW, my stock clutch in my EVO IX lasted over 77k miles even with multiple aggressive road course track days. My EVO X has 35k+ and still going good.

Quick Reply: help start moving :(