Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Planning ahead for EVO X build

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mindovaanything
Objectives: Over 2 - 3 years build a 600+hp street car. I want to have as quick spool as possible. I want to maintain drive-ability.
Can I ask you why 600hp? Why not 550hp? Why not 623hp?

Maintaining street drivability on a 600+ horse, 2 liter, inline 4 is going to be tough, if not impossible. I mean, have you ever seen a car from the factory with 600hp on an inline 4?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:33 PM

Ok so going to try and respond to everyone, sorry for not checking back in on my own thread sooner.

I totally agree that the GTR is in a whole different category and I have taken serious considerations into the costs of the car, maintainance, insurance and mods; right now and for another couple years at least I won't be getting one. As much as I want to and even if things go much better than expected I would still be paying for a wedding and buying a house before a GTR. I will certainly get one eventually and I'm not sure what role it will play in my stable at that time I guess it depends on how career and car projects go.

I've considered getting a "better" car to start with but I really want an EVO X, I think it will fit all of my needs and I'll be able to do something unique with it. I've considered a ton of other options, especially things a bit more luxury sport, like the newest M5 that I could afford etc. But I love Japanese cars and as much as I drool when I see a nice M5, I think overall I would rather have the Evo. Porsches and Corvettes just don't do it for me although driving one may change my mind.

Streetability is definitely a major concern of mine and perhaps I should lower my hp goal to accommodate that. The reason I chose that number is because to me it seemed like a reasonable and attainable goal. A power level that would be able t get traction on street tires and wouldn't require a really big turbo, a power level that would make my car competitive across all venues from a run in with an exotic on the highway to a night at the drag strip, or a day on the track while still being able to drive it comfortably every day.

The point of this thread was to get this kind of feedback that makes me consider other options, and after doing more reading on various forums, I'm thinking that an MR with all the mods I've planned for except a smaller turbo, tranny cooler, and less fuel might just work out to be perfect. I don't want to have to stop for gas every day because I'm running E85 etc. I'm certainly willing to make some compromises. I'll have another "beater" car that will be rwd and 5spd so I don't think I'll miss that feeling when I'm sitting in traffic in my MR.

As far as the turbo timer goes, I think they're cool and even though it may not be needed it certainly won't hurt. I've found some alarm systems that have remote start and cool down. I'll likely have something like that professionally installed and let them figure out how to wire it all up with the Fast Key etc.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:16 PM

Ideally I will eventually have like 4 modified cars for different purposes. Maybe I'm trying to plan too much cuz I also consider how the EVO will fit into my long term plans where it may not make sense to have a 600+hp EVO that's supposed to be my daily when one with 400hp would be way more practical and enjoyable especially if I had something else with really high hp for weekends.

In my dreams I have a 3 car garage with two lifts. 4 spots for me and one for the wife's car lol.

The daily: something 4 door, clean, mildly modded, baller wheels, mild aero and with enough power to be fun but very reliable and streetable. This may be my EVO X and hence the potential change in power level goals, MR instead of gsr etc. It would be something that I could take to the track etc but don't because I have other cars much better suited for that. Ideally though it would be something more luxury/vip than an EVO and better for work, professional image, and less cop harassment etc. perhaps an M45, Legacy GT, Lexus GS, M5, C or E class Benz, A4, or even a CTS-V you get the idea.

The meticulously kept monster/show stopper: this would be the GTR, or a big single turbo MKIV supra, something that I rarely drive has show quality bodywork and really high hp but full interior and a street car.

The track **** would be a time attack style car, fully caged, gutted, R compound tires the whole nine yards. It would be an FD RX-7, EVO, or NSX, and I could tow it with the wife's SUV. The EVO X could also become this car and then I could get something else for a daily.

The beater and/or sleeper: something to take out for late night fun, random automotive debauchery and just beat on, donuts, drifting and for driving to places where it may be questionable to take any of my nicer cars. Something like a 240sx, mk3 supra, cressida, 2nd gen dsm, K series swapped 90's integra or civic coupe (I've secretly always wanted to do a honda project and with the other cars it would be cool to cover all bases and have one fwd).

I've already got a beater car (s13 240sx ka-t) and I will likely trade/sell it for a different beater car within the next year. I'm definitely going to get an EVO X in Jan or Feb and it will begin as my daily. Who knows how things will end up.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:06 AM

This thread makes me reconsider which turbo to get, CBRD's full or lite, FP red or black, GTX3076 or GTX3582. Hmmm decisions decisions. I think any of these would be great for what I'm looking to do or perhaps something smaller? With a tubular manifold and all the other mods I'd have quick spool and could be over 400hp on pump

There's another thread about mods that people regret doing and going "too far" that makes me think I may not want the stroker and that twin or triple clutches aren't very streetable which among other things makes me think MR > GSR.

Last edited by mindovaanything; Aug 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluedub1
Can I ask you why 600hp? Why not 550hp? Why not 623hp?

Maintaining street drivability on a 600+ horse, 2 liter, inline 4 is going to be tough, if not impossible. I mean, have you ever seen a car from the factory with 600hp on an inline 4?
Depends on the person I guess... but its definitely possible.

I daily drove my Evo 8 for almost a year making 600hp on pump gas that I personal built and tuned myself. Streetability was literally like stock to me, had A/C, working radio, even started in 20 degree weather in the mornings just fine. I later switched it to e85 and still drove it reguarly making right at 700hp but because e85 is a bit hard to acquire (its a 15 minute drive out of my way to the only avaiable pump on my side of town) I started driving it only on the weekends. It's fully built in every way and about the only stock part left under my hood is the radiator.

My only issue would be hearing the radio, I have to turn it up a good bit since my exhaust is a little loud and I opted for urethane engine mounts. But hell I like to jam out to some good tunes anyway so it really isnt that big of a deal afterall.

I also have a friend with a similar setup to mine. He sits at exactly at 617hp on pump gas last tuning session I graphed the car and has past 70,000 miles in full built trim. This has been his daily driver for many years like this. Just recently it needed a valve job and the built Shep transmission was refreshed. I expect many thousands of miles more on this car without an issue.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Last edited by bluedub1; Sep 9, 2011 at 04:50 AM. Reason: ..
Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:31 AM

bluedub1 why'd you delete your post? I thought you made some great points and was just about to reply.

I've been searching around at evo's for sale and thinking more and more about this plan and the long term as well. I just don't think the evo has the ability to run with supercars and exotics, it can certainly take down a lot of sports cars. I think that I'm going to scale back some of the evo stuff. Spend less money on it, a smaller more responsive turbo, focus on the driveability and keeping the evo as my daily for the long term and planning to get a used 2012 GTR in a few years as my weekend car.

Maybe BBX lite turbo, no built motor, full race manifold, aeromotive 340lph in tank pumper, ID 1000cc, E-85. Keep all the bolt ons, transmission, electronics, cooling, wheels, brake & suspension mods as planned.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^ Thanks took me forever to write this thread, hope it wasn't too much to read.
This thread was great. You use capitals, correct punctuation, and didn't use some long *** run on sentence. Thanks for making the effort and not writing like a caveman would talk.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Objectives: Over 2 - 3 years build a 600+hp street car.
If you mean 600 to the crank then its possible to still have a decent DD. If you mean 600 to the wheels on a Mustang or Dynodynamics. Then the answer is no. You would not have good DD. You would have a turbo that came on at 5.5 RPM or higher and you will have to use E85 all the time. 450 I think is about the most anyone has gotten from a DD EVO using pump gas.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bluedub1
bluedub1 why'd you delete your post? I thought you made some great points and was just about to reply.

I've been searching around at evo's for sale and thinking more and more about this plan and the long term as well. I just don't think the evo has the ability to run with supercars and exotics, it can certainly take down a lot of sports cars. I think that I'm going to scale back some of the evo stuff. Spend less money on it, a smaller more responsive turbo, focus on the driveability and keeping the evo as my daily for the long term and planning to get a used 2012 GTR in a few years as my weekend car.

Maybe BBX lite turbo, no built motor, full race manifold, aeromotive 340lph in tank pumper, ID 1000cc, E-85. Keep all the bolt ons, transmission, electronics, cooling, wheels, brake & suspension mods as planned.
Haha I thought I came off as an ******* so I just deleted it. I'm glad it was helpful.

The Evo is already a beast out of the box. Don't get me wrong more power is always fun but I honestly think 291hp 300 lb-ft is plenty for sprited daily driving.

Were you able to get any track time (road course, auto-x) in your 8?