Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

STI Owner Considering EVO X - Would Appreciate Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My advice: Do it!
Old May 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and please tell me one good reason to get an STI over an Evo besides the cargo space of the hatchback model or design difference (I personally think an Evo looks a lot better, it's all subjective of course)..
what is it an STI can do and Evo can't? Boxer rumble?
Old May 14, 2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by TheBlade
if your STi is stock, why are you worried about the ringland issues? You have a warranty for a reason. If you're 100% stock, it would be easier to deal with Subaru on a legit warranty repair than deal with Mitsu on any work.
I'm stage 1 ots. Shhhhh don't tell anyone

Originally Posted by glamcem
Because some ppl (including me) don't wanna spend their valuable time by going back and forth to dealerships,make hundreds of phone calls, deal with all that hassle and down times (months)especially when paying almost $40k for a car even all that's is covered.. also keep in mind, you would be basically paying monthly for an STI and driving a POS loaner car (I highly doubt they provide STIs as loaner cars)..

Another thing to mention, I know people blowing their 3rd motor after the replacement so all that hassle multiplied by 3, is it really worth taking any chance..just my .02
This. Being only stage 1 they could potentially deny me for what is in essence a mod to help keep the engine healthy. The stock tune is crap. I don't care what subaru says. When it feels like the motor just dies between 2.5k and 3k rpms and that's "just how the engine is tuned", that's bull****.

And like you said, paying for a car when i'm only driving a loaner is bull especially when i'm trading an exploded bomb for just another ticking time bomb.

If seats were only my concern i'd just be stealing one of yours and calling it a day. Which I still might do .

Problem is there aren't any good deals on used 2010 or 2011 GSR's that would keep my payments at or below where they are now. So i'm feeling a bit stuck...
Old May 14, 2012, 10:14 AM

MR or GSR

I was in the same boat when purchasing my GSR, I wanted the MR because of the SST. But after further research I purchased the GSR with no issues.

Originally Posted by Cujo159
Hello all!

I've had an 11 STI Sedan since Nov 2010. After getting it I found out about the ringland problems and have been living in that fear ever since, especially taking long drives that's required of me being in the military. In essence, stock reliability is a factory for me of which the STI is not greatly known for. Aside from the ringlands, I hate the seats lol everything else about it is pretty good and I've enjoyed the car.

But it's come to a point where I'm tired of living in fear that my pistons will pop for no reason while I'm driving with a stock engine.

So I'm considering an Evo X.

Coincidentally I know of an 08 Evo X MR black with 23k miles on it being brought into carmax today for direct buy from them. If I bought it, I would be the 3rd owner. It's originally from Columbus, Oh, now owned in Dayton Oh. Vin: JA3AW56V18U050816.

From the pictures it looks to be in great condition aside from some curb rash on the BBS wheels.

I have been poking around the forum for over a day now so I'm not completely oblivious and read most of the things you should know stickies

My overarching question for you all is what are some of the benefits/detriments between getting a MR over a GSR? Is there something severe like the ringland piston problem that plagues the Evo MR/GSR? What's different between MY08 and later model years?

Thanks in advance for you answers
Old May 14, 2012, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

I'm stage 1 ots. Shhhhh don't tell anyone

This. Being only stage 1 they could potentially deny me for what is in essence a mod to help keep the engine healthy. The stock tune is crap. I don't care what subaru says. When it feels like the motor just dies between 2.5k and 3k rpms and that's "just how the engine is tuned", that's bull****.

And like you said, paying for a car when i'm only driving a loaner is bull especially when i'm trading an exploded bomb for just another ticking time bomb.

If seats were only my concern i'd just be stealing one of yours and calling it a day. Which I still might do .

Problem is there aren't any good deals on used 2010 or 2011 GSR's that would keep my payments at or below where they are now. So i'm feeling a bit stuck...
ever tried truecar.com? FYI, I saved about 3 grand by driving 120 mile because the dealerships in my area were not willing to match truecar's price I'd say do more research and extend your search range.. you will eventually find a good deal and you can definitely consider a new car instead of a used one for just a little more (I couldn't find any used 2010 for less than 29k when I was in the market and ended up getting 2011 for $31.5k) ...also 2011 and 2012 models have revised timing chain and has a better tune stock and make more power..you can definitely tell by looking at this magazine test

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...06745e8d34.pdf...the good thing is since 2012 STIs look even uglier with the new rims and hard to get, you should be able to get a nice trade in value for your car, of course your monthly payments may not be the same but I don't there will be that much of a difference

good luck

Last edited by glamcem; May 14, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:00 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy29
Imo the sti's are easier to make faster with just bolt on's and a tune
Wut? Not unless the Evo is missing a spark plug.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
true..
with my 07 STI, full turbo back exhaust, APS 65mm cold air intake, cobb accessport and custom tune my car was made 293whp on dynojet .. and stock 2011 GSR makes about 270-275whp on dynojet, of course ambient temps and humidity and other factors but I can definitely tell the difference between two..
Old May 14, 2012, 09:37 PM

literally the only thing i miss from my '08 sti is the telescopic steering wheel adjustment. other than that the evo is a superior car (in my opinion) in every other way than the sti
Old May 15, 2012, 05:46 AM

ever tried truecar.com? FYI, I saved about 3 grand by driving 120 mile because the dealerships in my area were not willing to match truecar's price I'd say do more research and extend your search range.. you will eventually find a good deal and you can definitely consider a new car instead of a used one for just a little more (I couldn't find any used 2010 for less than 29k when I was in the market and ended up getting 2011 for $31.5k) ...also 2011 and 2012 models have revised timing chain and has a better tune stock and make more power..you can definitely tell by looking at this magazine test

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...06745e8d34.pdf...the good thing is since 2012 STIs look even uglier with the new rims and hard to get, you should be able to get a nice trade in value for your car, of course your monthly payments may not be the same but I don't there will be that much of a difference

good luck
Thanks for that tip. I'll look into that. Difficult part is going to be taking off the couple suspension mods I have and returning it to stock before selling it.

If I can get payments lower than 546 a month then I'll take it, that's what I'm paying now for the STI

true..
with my 07 STI, full turbo back exhaust, APS 65mm cold air intake, cobb accessport and custom tune my car was made 293whp on dynojet .. and stock 2011 GSR makes about 270-275whp on dynojet, of course ambient temps and humidity and other factors but I can definitely tell the difference between two..
The reason for that is our stock compression ratio is 8:1 as opposed to your 9:1. Friend of mine's ringland's blew but didn't mess up the internal bore enough to warrant a new block so he did a modest rebuild, upping compression to 9:1 with CP pistons and he's now at stage 2 making the same stage 2 power yours are, roughly 340 whp. We've cracked your secret!!!

Definitely still weighing my options since I've put a decent bit of work and money into the STI already and I'd hate to lose that. Asside from performance. I like the looks of the STI a bit more than the Evo. The sides and rear of the STI are better looking IMO while the Evo's front is sweet jesus badass. If i could combine those parts, your engine, and the STI's drive train...perfect car.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

You said you take lots of long trips, is it mostly highway miles? The GSR spins relatively high on the highway and I think excessive long trips would get annoying after a while. Even in the MR with a sixth gear it spins around 3000 at 70 with a fairly intrusive engine drone.

To be honest it sounds like your current STI is probably better suited to what your using it for then an Evo would be. Not to mention you would be taking the depreciation hit on the new car to jump into an older car and now be rolling the dice with a used Evo.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here by the way, trying to give you some counter points to think about. Of course I think Evo is the right choice and the car you should have bought in the first place
Old May 15, 2012, 10:32 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
The reason for that is our stock compression ratio is 8:1 as opposed to your 9:1. Friend of mine's ringland's blew but didn't mess up the internal bore enough to warrant a new block so he did a modest rebuild, upping compression to 9:1 with CP pistons and he's now at stage 2 making the same stage 2 power yours are, roughly 340 whp. We've cracked your secret!!!
That difference in compression ratio is negated by the extra 25% displacement the STI has. The STI has a smaller turbocharger, has a smaller intercooler that is top mounted, and an engine doesn't rev nearly as deeply.

I don't go by "stages" as a yardstick, because that is silly, and different companies have different things that makes a stage. You can't compare a built motor, even a mild one, to a stock motor.

Put simply, a full bolt-on stock turbo Evo will put down about 50whp more than an identically modded STI. This has been documented everywhere and is not in dispute.

Subawho?
Old May 15, 2012, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Subawho?
STwhy?
Old May 16, 2012, 11:09 AM

IMO....