Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Clutch Hose Leak - FYI

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Hose Leak - FYI

Just throwing a issue out there that from searching doesn't seem like a common issue but figured I would give info on my particular issue for anyone who ends up getting the same problem.

I noticed last friday that when depressing my clutch in for longer than the normal shift (holding in at stoplight in first, traffic stop n go) my clutch would engage first gear fine but would not come back up after about a quarter way...I would need to grab it with my toe and pull it up. I have a 2011 with only 9K on it so it was dreadful to feel that knowing the common clutch issues with EVOs.

I noticed that when shifting normal at speed the clutch worked fine so I assumed this was some type of pressure loss/leak only when depressing the clutch. What I figured out when I opened my hood was that the main clutch hose coming out from the master cylinder which runs over to the clutch was squirting like a squirt-gun (pinhole) up towards my hood, leaving brake fluid all around my brake fluid resevior and red battery connector every time I depressed the clutch.

Makes sense that when holding in the clutch it would keep spraying which emptied out the fluid in the lines causing a drop in pressure and the clutch didnt have enough power to come back up. I put a temporary piece of hose tape on it so it wouldn't spray up towards the engine block but rather just drip down from the wrapped tape.

The only fix is for a new clutch hose assembly (A). Figured someone else may come across this issue and could use this to quickly know they need a replacement hose. I didn't find much searching for this specific issue. A little surprised this hose busted only at 9K...must be cheap part.

The car is drivable but will leak the fluid if I get stuck in traffic and losing all brake fluid cannot be fun.

Taking to dealer for new hose and a bleed.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of people have not been impressed with the way the stock clutch system is set up.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:29 AM

Update: Took to dealer for service...they said it was a fluke as his suspicion was that some type of projectile punctured the actual hose and was not a mechanical failure in the sense of faulty equipment. Replaced hose and bleed lines. Fixed.

close
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

glad to hear Mitsu fixed it up for you, hopefully with no cost to you...even though it may have been a road-hazard that caused it
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

This happened to me too at like 5k. Got a new MC under warranty. Hope they covered yours!