Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Good solution to not having a garage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good solution to not having a garage?

hey guys so i just bought one of the final editions and i feel bad because i don't have a garage to keep it safe in! i looked at those pop up fabric tents but i don't have grass to anchor it into. i have about a 20 x 30 ft drive way on front of my house and i was wondering if anyone's seen anything out there other than a simple car cover to keep it out of the elements.
The following users liked this post:
synmaster941 (Apr 17, 2016)
Old Apr 16, 2016, 01:47 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm not sure on the best way to keep it out of the elements, but will say: claybar it and wax it often. Keep it glossy and shiny and the paint will be protected a bit more than not.
The following 2 users liked this post by migs647:
akemi27 (Apr 17, 2016), synmaster941 (Apr 17, 2016)
Old Apr 16, 2016, 03:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Build a garage where huge 20x30 driveway is....
The following users liked this post:
synmaster941 (Apr 17, 2016)
Old Apr 16, 2016, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
+1 ^^^
Old Apr 16, 2016, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
rent one.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lurker here that just had to create a profile to address some issues with these things from first hand experience lol.

A relative of mine is a Lexus fan and bought one of these canopy things to keep his favorite car in for "collecting" because he had a project in the garage. First the canopy collapsed after a big gust of wind. The metal beams came down right on the car and scraped it up. After having it painted he put it in the canopy again to store for the winter, didn't look at it the entire winter keep in mind. First day of spring he opens it up and turns out that cats and other animals got in and the canopy was a perfect home away from home to them the entire winter, don't think walking all over the car wouldn't do much but I'm sure that's not what you would want to your Final Edition. Just seeing what happened to him makes me think a simple car cover or maybe nothing at all is a better alternative but the canopy may have been put up wrong and there's ways to keep animals out. Hope that helps!
Old Apr 17, 2016, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
First, you want to keep the car safe. The extra dust and weather corrosion isn't a big deal comparing to theft or vandalism. Undercoating right now and exterior detailing in the future should do the trick.

Right now you should have at least an aftermarket alarm system (with tilt sensors and glass breaking sensors) and a custom kill switch. Ideally also GPS tracking (like LoJack) and a steering wheel lock. Those pro thieves who steal your car with a flatbed may still get their way, but hopefully a GPS tracking can at least get your Evo recovered, if they flatbed your car away.

If your car at least stays with you for a few years, hopefully your financial situation improves and you move to a house with a secured garage.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:15 AM

i thought about building one but the HOA wont let me and yes next time i move i will definitely make sure i have a garage! thanks for the info gents.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to have a car cover when I didn't have a garage...sun can kill your paint
Old Apr 17, 2016, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1
Old Apr 17, 2016, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by FernUS0099
i thought about building one but the HOA wont let me and yes next time i move i will definitely make sure i have a garage! thanks for the info gents.
And next time make sure you also hire an interior designer for a quick makeover! Over the years I have come to realize that lobster tails, fast cars, and home interior makeover are the three best bangs for your buck to put a big smile on your face, consistently everyday!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
First, you want to keep the car safe. The extra dust and weather corrosion isn't a big deal comparing to theft or vandalism. Undercoating right now and exterior detailing in the future should do the trick.

Right now you should have at least an aftermarket alarm system (with tilt sensors and glass breaking sensors) and a custom kill switch. Ideally also GPS tracking (like LoJack) and a steering wheel lock. Those pro thieves who steal your car with a flatbed may still get their way, but hopefully a GPS tracking can at least get your Evo recovered, if they flatbed your car away.

If your car at least stays with you for a few years, hopefully your financial situation improves and you move to a house with a secured garage.
Holy **** man.

Do this, or just have a decent insurance policy.

I love my evo, but it gets stolen there are lots of other great cars can buy or buy another evo.

Also, I've heard stories about car covers destroying the paint as they continuously rub against it in the wind. I'd just build a garage. I bet you could get one of those steel hanger thing buildings for not too much, and you'd add value to the house.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I got a 12' wide carport with 3' walls down each side, for a really reasonable price. It's rated for MD weather and such, and had I elected to get it slightly taller I could have it converted into a garage. The site I got it from was great, I basically didn't want to take up my whole parking area with a garage and this was the next best thing. Super customizable and pretty modular. There are definitely options out there.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 04:18 AM

Car cover works fine if it's a weekend car if not it will get annoying taking it on and off constantly