Bigger Turbo? - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Bigger Turbo?

Old Aug 9, 2017, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Bigger Turbo?

Hello,

I was wondering if I can just slap on a direct bolt on Twin Scroll Turbo onto my Evo X plus a tune and not have any issue? Anyone who has done this please chime in. I would prefer going down this route rather then going E85. My Evo X is currently at 311WHP, 319 ft IB Torque.

Current Mod:
- Berk HFC
- Grimmspeed 3port Boost controller
- Tomei single Catback Exhaust
- AEM Cold Air intake
- UR upper intercooler pipe

Future Mod:
- AMS Front intercooler
- upgrade fuel pump and injectors

- Maybe a Twin scroll Turbo?

your feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited by joonvang; Aug 9, 2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

No you need fuel pump, injectors and a bigger bank account for doubling your trips to the gas station.

The best route is to find a great tuner you can reach, talk to them, and get them to spec you out a turbo upgrade. I'd probably sneak in a downpipe and intercooler when you do the turbo as that's the time to do those.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema View Post
No you need fuel pump, injectors and a bigger bank account for doubling your trips to the gas station.

The best route is to find a great tuner you can reach, talk to them, and get them to spec you out a turbo upgrade. I'd probably sneak in a downpipe and intercooler when you do the turbo as that's the time to do those.

Right, if I did go down the route of a bigger turbo, I would get the front intercooler with upgraded injectors and fuel pump....I was thinking about building my Evo X close to the FQ 400
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:57 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by joonvang View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if I can just slap on a direct bolt on Twin Scroll Turbo onto my Evo X plus a tune and not have any issue? Anyone who has done this please chime in. I would prefer going down this route rather then going E85. My Evo X is currently at 311WHP, 319 ft IB Torque.

Current Mod:
- Berk HFC
- Grimmspeed 3port Boost controller
- Tomei single Catback Exhaust
- AEM Cold Air intake
- UR upper intercooler pipe

Future Mod:
- AMS Front intercooler
- upgrade fuel pump and injectors

- Maybe a Twin scroll Turbo?

your feedback is much appreciated.
You definitely can, I can tell from experience. I slapped on a Garret turbo, GT3071R to be exact with stock injectors, stock fuel pump. only mods were ETS intake, agency power exhaust manifold, and ARP headstuds. Still currently running it like this 16k miles and no problem, I havent even gotten my tune yet. It may not be advisable but possible. TONS of pulls too
Old Aug 9, 2017, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JrEvoXnitez View Post
You definitely can, I can tell from experience. I slapped on a Garret turbo, GT3071R to be exact with stock injectors, stock fuel pump. only mods were ETS intake, agency power exhaust manifold, and ARP headstuds. Still currently running it like this 16k miles and no problem, I havent even gotten my tune yet. It may not be advisable but possible. TONS of pulls too
What would estimate your whp to be at this point?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 01:16 PM

No too long ago I added an MHI-18K to mine. As part of the process I went with ID 1300cc stainless injectors (a little overkill for 93 but can support E85 should I decide to do that down the road) and an AEM 320 pump. I've got full bolt ons in addition to that and an AEM front mount with their piping kit.

It's a really, really good idea to upgrade your fuel system to support the increased boost levels you'll see at higher rpm. All it takes is leaning it out once to cause some expensive issues. You do definitely want to have the vehicle tuned to support those upgrades as well. One, you drastically increase the likelihood of damage and two, you aren't really getting the most out of your mods. Personally, I wouldn't consider just bolting it up, and i've got a forged rotating assembly waiting for when this motor pops.

To the fuel economy point, it's not like these things did that well stock. My drive to work (I occasionally take the car to work) is on a more rural highway, and at an average speed of 60-65 mph, driven sensibly, I have seen 26 mpg. Part of that may be the 18K is a tiny bit laggier getting into boost, but it's not appreciably worse than stock in most conditions unless you're being quite aggressive with the throttle.

Last edited by joseph_mills; Aug 9, 2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Pics or it didn't happen
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by joonvang View Post
What would estimate your whp to be at this point?
360 id say. Ill post results September 1st when I go in for my tune
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

if your running aftermarket larger injectors (1300s), how could your fuel economy be accurate on the display?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ddlopresti View Post
if your running aftermarket larger injectors (1300s), how could your fuel economy be accurate on the display?
There is a multiplier table you change in the ECU to make the MPG display accurate again.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 02:38 PM

I went 20g billet turbo on stock fuel system ? Is that to much or would I have to upgrade the fuel system and if I do what should I upgrade it to .. donít want to make crazy power
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:57 AM
AJV

Originally Posted by pa.isco View Post
I went 20g billet turbo on stock fuel system ? Is that to much or would I have to upgrade the fuel system and if I do what should I upgrade it to .. donít want to make crazy power
don't cheap out and do it half ***. Upgrading to e85 or bigger turbo then upgrade your injectors and fuel pump. You don't want to be limited by fuel when it's time to tune.