Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RREvoX08
alas, i didn't realize it was a defi stand alone, my apologies good sir..
Oh np i wasn't upset. Yea just realized you had a mechanical , so yea with your kinda gauge its a long route for you as its a mechanical Autometer isn't it. So running a boost tube all that length would be worthless So your way would be needed for that as nobody wants to run 5+ ft of boost tube through the car.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by beetle_orange
excuse the ignorance but aren't there just mechanical and electrical boost gauge? what is this standalone?
Name:  Dir1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  97.0 KB
Standalone is electrical. It requires no control unit. And comes with a sensor box just for the gauge alone a small black box which a sensor wire runs from the gauge to the sensor box then the boost tube runs from the sensor box to the boost tap in. Not a standalone electrical gauge will require the use of a control box you can usually search it.

Non-standalone is nice as all the sensors run from the control unit and the gauges can link to each gauge then route to the control unit. You basically can hook up a boost, egt, temp together then only run one wire to the control unit and all three gauges will read from their own sensor in the control unit. Can also record and playback everything. Also can set up warnings on every gauge and buzz at you when something is going beyond its point. Sorry if you already knew this i got carried away

Last edited by ZWingerRyRy; Oct 11, 2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cchan3761
Thanks so much for doing this writeup! I been wanting to do it but this way doesn't seem so bad!
Np, just providing alternatives to other routes.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

you could have hooked it up to the cig lighter wires in the center console, there is power and ground, and for the turbo line there is a firewall access next to the turbo. install takes about 20 mins.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goevox
you could have hooked it up to the cig lighter wires in the center console, there is power and ground, and for the turbo line there is a firewall access next to the turbo. install takes about 20 mins.
Orange wire was hooked upto cig/acc
Black was grounded to a bolt
White was hazard
Red was power door locks
Tube is ran from the sensor box not the gauge, its a standalone.
Only the sensor wire from Gauge>Sensor Box was routed to the engine.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks for the explanation, i meant to post here what i posted in your similar thread.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

I plan on installing my gauge this weekend, I already have my V1 using the cig/12v for my powersource. Do you think adding the defi gauge would take too much power from it? Here's my V1 hardwired
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...7&postcount=22
Old Oct 20, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cchan3761
I plan on installing my gauge this weekend, I already have my V1 using the cig/12v for my powersource. Do you think adding the defi gauge would take too much power from it? Here's my V1 hardwired
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...7&postcount=22
Depending on how much is taken by the V1 but a gauge doesnt use **** for power its only 120mA x2 + 2mA(milliamp) and 1 amp = 1,000 milliamp lol so a gauge has 2 wires that both consume 120mA and 1 wire (illumination) uses 2mA, note these are max consumption not meaning its always consuming that much. So 242mA its less then 1 Amp being consumed max, when most those wires are 7-30amp i dont think youll have any problems. While a car battery is 12v and alot of the fuses aren't being used in some evo packages(sunroof,rear wiper, and etc) it has plenty of room for powering accessories. A V1 uses 425 mA maximum by the looks of the specs.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info, I'm a bio major not an engineering major so I dont know anything about circuits and electronics except simple things
Old Oct 24, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Instead of using your arm to push the wire up the fender, I went the other way. I ran the wire from the top of the fender and then ran it down (gravity is my friend ) other than that everything was straight forward from the diy, thanks again ZWingerRyRy! Also to steinvb12 for an idea for gauge placement

Also, why does most people (I think all?) put the boost gauge on the right side?

Last edited by cchan3761; Oct 24, 2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

lol dont know usually i drive with left hand so i felt i would be blocking my view of it somewhat Congrats on the install glad everything worked out for ya. Did it take you very long? someone was commenting that it was to much work for a gauge.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
chan - looks good!

Originally Posted by ZWingerRyRy
lol dont know usually i drive with left hand so i felt i would be blocking my view of it somewhat Congrats on the install glad everything worked out for ya. Did it take you very long? someone was commenting that it was to much work for a gauge.
It always takes a little longer when working on new cars. You need to find the best way to run all the wires all over again. If I had to do it again, it would take much less time, since I know where everything is now.

It's just a learning curve for the new car...
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steinvb12
chan - looks good!

It always takes a little longer when working on new cars. You need to find the best way to run all the wires all over again. If I had to do it again, it would take much less time, since I know where everything is now.

It's just a learning curve for the new car...
^Thanks, and I agree with steinvb12, it took a little longer than I thought but it wasn't too long as I was getting familiar with the car
Old Oct 28, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Where did you order yours from and how much did it cost? Cheapest one I found was from Edo Performance
Old Oct 28, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wongck
Where did you order yours from and how much did it cost? Cheapest one I found was from Edo Performance
cheapest ive found and where i bought was evasivemotorsports $161 $9 for shipping

Quick Reply: Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell