Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to: Oil and filter change on the EVO X

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write up, just did my oil change over the weekend but the next day checked the levels and noticed the oil was already starting to look a little dark, is this normal?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Yes. I let my car idle for a few minutes right after I changed it and even just from idling it gets dark. You never get 100% of the old oil out so that mixes with the new oil.

How many of you have had vanilla ice cream and put only a few drops of chocolate syrup then mix it all together. Those few drops will turn the whole bowl brown, haha.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:36 PM

Yeah I get it just never really thought it would change from clear so quickly even with just a little old oil in there but yeah I understand thanks
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spazo
Thanks for the pics. I'll see if I can run out and grab one before I tackle my first change on the X. I ordered a bunch of oil and filters from Autozone. Haven't torn into the box yet but I'm betting I forgot to order some crush washers... dope!

BTW, I grabbed this picture from a different author (pstl_pete) but it gives a great picture of the underside of the car so you might be able to use it to place your jacks...

nice...
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
...and speaking of crush washers - I've been using a Fumoto valve/QuikValve on my Evo (see picture). Makes the changes very easy and clean and no need to replace the crush valve. I just run the hose into an old oil container and open the drain.

I have no affiliation with these guys at all. One of my Honda buddies turned me onto them. Check out the website: http://www.qwikvalve.com/

Anyhow, just one more way to make the change a bit easier.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
looks nice but i am sure why people would stay away from this is the accidental "opening" of the valve for whatever reason and draining your oil.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I just did my oil change at work today. It's pretty simple oil change lol.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brez!
...and speaking of crush washers - I've been using a Fumoto valve/QuikValve on my Evo (see picture). Makes the changes very easy and clean and no need to replace the crush valve. I just run the hose into an old oil container and open the drain.

I have no affiliation with these guys at all. One of my Honda buddies turned me onto them. Check out the website: http://www.qwikvalve.com/

That is pretty nice idea but I really don't like the idea where valve doesn't have a safety lock just incase it opens by accident.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Brez!

I like the idea but any problems with it accidentally opening?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
It would take some pretty bizarre circumstances for this thing to open by accident given (1) the scuff plate on the bottom of the vehicle, (2) how far up it sits under the car, and (3) the way it is designed. It is spring loaded and has to be pulled forward and rotated 90 degrees to open. The "lever" is pretty short, so it takes a bit of force. My 12-year old son had trouble (but his nine year old sister didn't - so there).

I've never had a problem with it. Never seen any leakage either. Some of the WRX guys got all whiny about it (surprise...), because they had ripped it off while rallying. These things apparently stick out quite far on WRXs. Regardless, the short nipple (giggity, giggity, goo..alright) version was designed to eliminate this problem. Furthermore, they recommend a 5/8" safety clamp if you are plagued by evil gremlins.

"If you are using the Engine Oil Drain Valve on off-road vehicles such as farm tractors and logging equipment under extreme environment (i.e. corn fields, brush areas), it is recommended that a hose clip as shown below be used for extra safety and security. The hose clip, which can be purchased at our online store or any hardware stores, will firmly keep the lever in the locked position at all times."

I don't personally use the clamp (flashback: vasectomy), but then again I rarely find myself driving in corn fields (unless under a full moon while chasing werewolves).
Attached Images  
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Will WIX filter P/N 51348 work as well as the one that is pictured in the How-To?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But will this reset the "service mileage" on the computer?

-Pat
Old Feb 2, 2012, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Pat it won't that another step you have to do on the instrument panel. See that info button on the left on the cluster
Old Feb 2, 2012, 05:32 AM

Anyone looking for the best jack stand ever made.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...ges/146640.jpg
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:23 PM
Account Disabled

thanks !! this was really helpful

Quick Reply: How to: Oil and filter change on the EVO X