Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

*** Official Plasti Dip/Flat/Matte Evo Xs Thread *** [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not a X but I just did this over the past 4 days
Attached Thumbnails *** Official Plasti Dip/Flat/Matte Evo Xs Thread *** [MERGED]-image.jpg  
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there a clear gloss plastidip to replace vinyl wrap to protect paint from chips? This is like the invention of Ipod." Evolutionary!"
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xXANCHORMONXx
Not a X but I just did this over the past 4 days
Nice fenders
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:06 PM

This may be kinda irrelevant, but I painted my rims green with plastidip as a basecoat. Best invention ever. May do the clear matte finish on my TB soon!
Name:  398282_957111964734_6495982_n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  147.3 KB
Name:  IMG-20120712-WA0003.jpg
Size:  67.0 KB
Name:  251895_10151112764467533_1486122020_n.jpg
Size:  19.2 KB
What I was gonna throw on my AS. Blaze Orange
Name:  IMG-20120720-WA0007.jpg
Size:  61.9 KB
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question: If you get pulled over for something and you plastidipped your whole car a different color, wouldn't you get another ticket for that? Don't they run your plate number and check the model and color of your car too?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shimla
Question: If you get pulled over for something and you plastidipped your whole car a different color, wouldn't you get another ticket for that? Don't they run your plate number and check the model and color of your car too?
I actually have a first hand experience I got pulled over for tint and no plate.

He said nothing. Lol
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shimla
it would come down to matching VINs, it's not against the law to change the color of your car.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW. Plastidip a 35-45k car? I understand vinyl wraps but damn if you can't afford it why didn't you buy a certain color from the get go? Plastidip has been ****ty or gets ****ty in the long run. To do a whole car in plastidip, none the less a car you spent a lot of hard earned cash on.

IMHO and Experience with it. What the f* are you thinking? This trend must have come from a previous honda or audi owner. Atleast Audi owners only do the trims.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJ_evoIXgsr
WOW. Plastidip a 35-45k car? I understand vinyl wraps but damn if you can't afford it why didn't you buy a certain color from the get go? Plastidip has been ****ty or gets ****ty in the long run. To do a whole car in plastidip, none the less a car you spent a lot of hard earned cash on.

IMHO and Experience with it. What the f* are you thinking? This trend must have come from a previous honda or audi owner. Atleast Audi owners only do the trims.
Where are you getting your info from?

Have you seen the things that dipyourcar.com has done with PlastiDip? Check out their youtube channel, or even the forum on their site.

Their are now Lambos / GTR's / Ferraris that are having plastidip jobs done professionally. When done with a professional sprayer, it comes out as good if not better than a wrap job. The pro's highly outweigh the con's with plastidip. It's cheaper than wrap/paint (few hundred dollars to do yourself, $500 professionally), no sticky residue left underneath like you would with a wrap that has been sitting on for years, easily fixable in case of a rock chip where you would have to re-wrap the entire panel, etc.

I too at first was naive about it, but with the amount of research I've done into it, there's a good chance I'll be spraying my white evo with the "matte clear" to make it matte white.

Just two quick examples of plastidipped $100k+ cars.

Last edited by SRToad4; Jan 1, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by SRToad4
Where are you getting your info from?

Have you seen the things that dipyourcar.com has done with PlastiDip? Check out their youtube channel, or even the forum on their site.

Their are now Lambos / GTR's / Ferraris that are having plastidip jobs done professionally. When done with a professional sprayer, it comes out as good if not better than a wrap job. The pro's highly outweigh the con's with plastidip. It's cheaper than wrap/paint (few hundred dollars to do yourself, $500 professionally), no sticky residue left underneath like you would with a wrap that has been sitting on for years, easily fixable in case of a rock chip where you would have to re-wrap the entire panel, etc.

I too at first was naive about it, but with the amount of research I've done into it, there's a good chance I'll be spraying my white evo with the "matte clear" to make it matte white.

Just two quick examples of plastidipped $100k+ cars.
Don't forget, the owner of Dipyourcar.com tests all of his products on his personal s4. It may not be a 100k car, but it's still a top of the line performance/luxury vehicle.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by khanvictevo
Don't forget, the owner of Dipyourcar.com tests all of his products on his personal s4. It may not be a 100k car, but it's still a top of the line performance/luxury vehicle.
He's doing well, the S4 was passed down to one of his employees. He now has a matte white (plastidipped) S7
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SRToad4
He's doing well, the S4 was passed down to one of his employees. He now has a matte white (plastidipped) S7
Fonzie actually sold his S4 to another employee there, now he rocks out an 2013 S6 wich he also plastidips.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RevLimiter
Fonzie actually sold his S4 to another employee there, now he rocks out an 2013 S6 wich he also plastidips.
You're right, S6. For some reason I thought it was an S7? Lol idk
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Mini shoot
Attached Thumbnails *** Official Plasti Dip/Flat/Matte Evo Xs Thread *** [MERGED]-image.jpg  
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:34 PM

Well, I haven't checked this post in a while, and since people are posting pics of their wheels, here I go. Blaze Blue, no base coat.

And the most recent shot..

For those with any questions about dip, I suggest checking out the DYC forums. There's more than enough info on there. Plenty videos, and different tests.

Also, I saw someone mentioned they waxed their car before dipping it. Number one, that's a no no. Dip will not stick to the wax as well. If you plan to dip your whole car, use dish soap and a micro fiber towel to wash your car first. It takes the wax off and will stick to the car better. And make sure it's completely dry before applying dip. Any condensation / water will keep the dip from sticking.

I also suggest Simple Green and a Dip Washer to those who have dipped wheels. Best way to clean em.

Oh, and there's a few Evos on the DYC forums.. Sexy a fuhhhhh!

Quick Reply: *** Official Plasti Dip/Flat/Matte Evo Xs Thread *** [MERGED]