Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

CVT Turbo Update

Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is great, and I appreciate the fact the RRM backs us Lancers. I also mentioned this on calilancers so the cvt guys know that we do have potential besides n/a parts.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 03:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks. We have so much effort in getting this right for people. Thanks again.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 8, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

So what ever happened to the CVT belt shredding on the 2.4? What exactly has been done to solve that problem? I don't want to spend 1/2 the cars value on a turbo setup just to have it rip the CVT to shreds.

I recall a thread on 9g where someone got it, and then the thread ended with "it started to break the trans, the trans cant handle it, sorry"

http://9glancers.com/index.php/topic,9051.120.html

Last edited by EyeDreamt; Dec 8, 2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 03:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Agree. We went lower and lower boost. Running low boost and not asking too much of the trans seems to be the difference. Believe me, we wanted to quit after blowing 2 trannies up but they were always at high boost levels.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 8, 2010, 03:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might be willing to take this one on just gotta figure out what is happening with my sponsors for next years budget to see if revisiting projects for the Lancer is possible. I am moving on to the EVO X and Ralliart next. I would like to help where possible as well. I have worked with a group in Asia already in developing a Supercharger kit. They have blown 4 CVTs, and crippled 4 in their testing. Results were that its not stress that frags the Belt, its heat build up. After sticking with a few gold rules, they have operated the remaining two cvt setups without problems.

Reduce heat, and you certainly increase the life of your CVT overall.

1) Better fluid will reduce heat by reducing friction. Eneos or Redline CVT fluid is preferred.
2) DO NOT USE D. PERIOD!!! Dynamic gear changing will continue to cook your belt and related components. Fixed Gear Operation is Mandatory! NO EXCEPTIONS.
3) After heavy racing allow engine to cool before you turn it off.

But I am all for it
Old Dec 8, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
I might be willing to take this one on just gotta figure out what is happening with my sponsors for next years budget to see if revisiting projects for the Lancer is possible. I am moving on to the EVO X and Ralliart next. I would like to help where possible as well. I have worked with a group in Asia already in developing a Supercharger kit. They have blown 4 CVTs, and crippled 4 in their testing. Results were that its not stress that frags the Belt, its heat build up. After sticking with a few gold rules, they have operated the remaining two cvt setups without problems.

Reduce heat, and you certainly increase the life of your CVT overall.

1) Better fluid will reduce heat by reducing friction. Eneos or Redline CVT fluid is preferred.
2) DO NOT USE D. PERIOD!!! Dynamic gear changing will continue to cook your belt and related components. Fixed Gear Operation is Mandatory! NO EXCEPTIONS.
3) After heavy racing allow engine to cool before you turn it off.

But I am all for it
Which Redline are you using (or have you seen used)? The H-Type or Non-Slip?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 09:56 PM
Former Sponsor

They are all good tips.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 9, 2010, 05:34 AM

I would like to know which Eneos or Redline CVT fluid is recommended as well.

Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Paul-928
I would like to know which Eneos or Redline CVT fluid is recommended as well.

Thanks.
Did some homework: Eneos only makes one kind of CVT fluid. And for Redline, we would use the non-slip CVT. The Redline stuff is advertised for "up to" 30,000 mile changes, which matches the severe service maintenance schedule for the Lancer and it's not that much more per quart than what a dealership would charge for the OEM fluid.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:00 AM

Thank you kindly for the research. Now to find who supplies that stuff in my neck of the woods
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nj_08_gts
Which Redline are you using (or have you seen used)? The H-Type or Non-Slip?
Non-slip is the one you want. H-Type is for a different style of CVT. One important note. A CVT fluid change is something that you want to over see yourself if your going to anywhere other than your Mitsubishi Dealership. I have heard 2 situations where a shop tried to do a switch of oils to some cheap ATF stuff and grenaded the CVT. You cant use anything but CVT fluid in your tranny or you will kill it. Even driving it for 1 mile. Its toast.

OEM CVT fluid is good, but you will degrade its performance if its running hard. And that performance in fluid is what protects you from certain disaster.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:35 AM
Former Sponsor

One thing people dont really know is that Nippon Oil / ENEOS is a division of Mitsubishi Chemical. So rest assured your putting something into your car that is Mitsubishi at its core
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
One thing people dont really know is that Nippon Oil / ENEOS is a division of Mitsubishi Chemical. So rest assured your putting something into your car that is Mitsubishi at its core
Good to know. owns pharmaceutical companies and is also one of the worlds largest producers of ball point pens (Uni-Ball brand pens are made by ). They're into EVERYTHING. They even own a few breweries
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I ve been monitoring this thread, how much boost are we talking about here? Like 8-9psi or civic style of 6psi?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i find it hard to believe when rock said they're running lower boost but making the same amount of power as the MT.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CVT Turbo Update