Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

CVT Turbo Update

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo10HKS
i find it hard to believe when rock said they're running lower boost but making the same amount of power as the MT.
Especially since the MT is 1.234 seconds faster in a quarter than the cvt model....now if it was a auto maybe but cvt transmission is heavy!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

key word ther is "virtually"
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lancer XI1
Especially since the MT is 1.234 seconds faster in a quarter than the cvt model....now if it was a auto maybe but cvt transmission is heavy!
CVT is not really a weight question. With my research and interviews with Jatco the tranny manufacturer. There is actually a 4 to 7 % performance penalty when it comes to the operation of a CVT of this belted type. The problem is, there is a vibration that is created when in use. To counter act that there is a very precise algorithm that limits input TQ to address this vibration issue. With it turned off you would be getting a rather uncomfortable vibration from the engine and thru the chassis.

In theory, CVT would be faster than the Auto in a stock for stock heads up drag race.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Rock, I read this somewhere and wonder what your take on it is:
So before you start a thread asking this questions google search lancer cvt turbos. Nobody has a cvt turbo with 200 hp that will last. Bolt ons are fine. You cant use a evo x setup or ralliart, turbo's are too much for the car unless you run 2psi on a aftermarket waste gate.

I wish there was some better news, but the cvt was not meant for performance thats the bottom line. It does what it was meant too. Sporty driving when picking up the kids. If you really want to turbo your car switch to a 5 speed.

NO switching to a five speed is not cheap. Buy a new car, or enjoy the one you have with knowing the fact its not a straight line muscle car. It is howver a corner carving pleasure cruiser. Invest in the suspension parts and auto-cross. Sorry but it is what it is.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting stuff. Thanks for the good info.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by planetasia415
Rock, I read this somewhere and wonder what your take on it is:
This is incorrect. CVT can handle a great deal of pressure just not in a dynamic gear ratio operation. The TCU will allow for a great deal of slippage and engagement to counter act the higher TQ numbers. This has a great deal to do with the Anti Vibration Algorithm programmed into the ECU.

Heat kills the CVT. Not the TQ pressures.

250 to 300 hp is possible so long as you service your CVT frequently with fluid changes. At my last check in with my Asian contacts, CVT reinforcement (belt) is in the works, but they will not go into mas production until there is a market need for it.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:04 AM

hmm. audi turbos are performing well on the cvt and the main difference is the belt type. i was trying to figure out if we could change the rubber belt to chain belts and add a cvt cooler to handle the higher heat produced by the power.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so what is the true issue here? is it stricly the turbo that the CVT cant handle? or the power? say bolt ons and a tune and some cams, lets say that made 200whp, would we still run into the same issues for the sheer fact that the car is putting down that much power?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

The chain is the real issue when there is a failure.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NERO_NOVA
hmm. audi turbos are performing well on the cvt and the main difference is the belt type. i was trying to figure out if we could change the rubber belt to chain belts and add a cvt cooler to handle the higher heat produced by the power.
The belt inside the CVT is of a metal construction and reinforcement. One thing Rock has mentioned is the Timing chain in the engine isnt as strong as we would like it to be. So it is wise to stick to a strict servicing schedule and swap out the timing chain regularly. No reinforced chain is available at this time.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Or you could man up and drive a stick
Old Dec 14, 2010, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
Or you could man up and drive a stick
Engine Timing belt is a Chain, regardless of Lancer CVT or 5 Speed. your still limited by the chain. It will hold, but you shouldnt drive super wild for too long (change your timing chain more often vs. waiting 100,000 miles.

CVT Belt will hold. User just has to minimize heat by using good gear oil (Redline CVT fluid) or ENEOS Cvt fluid (preferred). And not use D mode!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Engine Timing belt is a Chain, regardless of Lancer CVT or 5 Speed. your still limited by the chain. It will hold, but you shouldnt drive super wild for too long (change your timing chain more often vs. waiting 100,000 miles.
Any actual data for timing chain failures? A chain shouldn't have to be looked at for like 150k miles let alone replaced at 100k.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

actually, there was a guy from tampa i think with a CVT with a custom kit built at a shop in orlando and during the tuning, the timing CHAIN failed on the dyno, causing catastrophic engine failure......how do I know? I asked the tuner personally.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:24 PM
Former Sponsor

I am sorry for not being clear. The CVT trans has a belt and and small chain. I am referring to the CHAIN inside the transmission as a weak link.

ROAD/RACE

Quick Reply: CVT Turbo Update