Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

RRM Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 09_Lancer_GTS
RRM kit i am getting 32-35 highway no boost

That is GREEEEAT. The reason for this is the way we do fuel. The car is stock fuel out of boost but still more efficient too. This means you are making a little bit more power without needing to add fuel. This gives you a car with amazing attributes. Economy and power. I am not sure what else anyone could want. TURBO POWER WITHOUT TURBO FUEL ECONOMY..........Thanks for posting.

ROAD/RACE
Old May 3, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaosburnout
whats the average DD gas mileage you guys are getting on these kits? jw since the OP mentioned it.
Im getting about 420+ miles consistently in my turbocharged Lancer. I forget exactly how many gallons this lancer takes. (15.something i think...?) but yea, Over 400 easily everytime.

And i know that's a big deal because I've seen untuned, N/A lancer buddy's of mine not even come close to the 410 range.
Old May 4, 2012, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

That is pretty amazing. You get the best of both worlds is what is great plus you get a proper system that is pre-tuned for you out of the box. People forget that.

ROAD/RACE
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:21 PM

I haven't posted on any forums in a long time, but i was bored and came across this thread. Ever since I bought my lancer in 09 I wanted the RRM turbo kit, but there was just no way I could afford the ~4300$ for it. I am very mechanically inclined and my knowledge of cars and possibilities is growing daily. For this reason I made my own turbo setup using all evo x parts. I ran 11 psi on my bone stock 2.0 4b11. I had a friend (non-professional) give me a rough tune using an evo x rom and map. The car was insanely fast! My AFR's were pretty dead on if not conservative. I would say all in all the entire setup including gauges, new battery and relocation kit, some custom piping and other small extras costed me ~2500$. A professional tune would have ran another 500$ish. If you have the knowledge and capability I would absolutely recommend making your own kit. If you don't, better safe than sorry and go with RRM. I have heard good reviews about the kits, however I think it is safe to say the X turbo running 11psi will beat the RRM 7psi any day of the week. And as far as reliability goes, well I got on that car 7 days a week for the entire year I had it, pretty much beat the crap out of the car (pushed it to its limits, Raced eve's, sti's, accords and civics, mustangs..etc and won the majority of them. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it, I had one of the first evo>NA lancer setups out there and you would be amazed at how many people told me I couldn't do it.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:20 AM

Smile Economy

EBL08, you are right. Not everyone has the money to fork out to buy a Ralliart or EVO. But as RRM states, a turbo Lancer 2.4L GTS will out perform a 2.0L Ralliart any day, and it's cheaper. $21K for GTS, $4k, 250 hp+, $28K for a Ralliart which only pushes 237 hp stock. $25K all together! Cost effective and it's custom, not factory built.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by tangjuice81
EBL08, you are right. Not everyone has the money to fork out to buy a Ralliart or EVO. But as RRM states, a turbo Lancer 2.4L GTS will out perform a 2.0L Ralliart any day, and it's cheaper. $21K for GTS, $4k, 250 hp+, $28K for a Ralliart which only pushes 237 hp stock. $25K all together! Cost effective and it's custom, not factory built.
I would have to argue this point. After a clutch and turbo kit you are looking at roughly 5k added to the price of the car (assuming you're installing it all yourself). At that point sure the gts will "outperform" the ralliart because of its higher compression ratios, but remember that the gts will be at its limits as far as power gains without delving into the internals. The ralliart however is at rock bottom as far as its limits go. With only 15$ a ralliart owner can buy a boost pill and download a free tune and gain an extra 50-60whp, never mind an exhaust and intake and they're well into the 350whp range. And on top of all that it is awd which helps tremendously at those power levels to plant power to the ground. I would argue that the only down side to the ralliart over a turbo gts is that it is not available in manual transmission.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:20 AM

Smile Point taken!

A valid point. I would like either of the two but I'm not looking to be the baddest on the street, just an enthusiast. But as far as tranny, I would go with a manual any day.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by tangjuice81
A valid point. I would like either of the two but I'm not looking to be the baddest on the street, just an enthusiast. But as far as tranny, I would go with a manual any day.
Yea I need a manual as well, I am so sick of all these nice cars coming out and only offering automatics! And I am not discouraging turboing a lancer or anything of the sort. I love making my car my own no matter what it is. Some people just like to argue that their car will be the best and the baddest compared to buying something more expensive and sometimes it's the case, and sometimes its not. In hind sight with all of the money I spent on my car and the time and effort, I would have been able to buy a used evo, but hind sight is always 20/20 as they say...now i'm just trying to sell my car because I can't afford it anyone I miss my turbo so much!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by mylancer
Yea I need a manual as well, I am so sick of all these nice cars coming out and only offering automatics! And I am not discouraging turboing a lancer or anything of the sort. I love making my car my own no matter what it is. Some people just like to argue that their car will be the best and the baddest compared to buying something more expensive and sometimes it's the case, and sometimes its not. In hind sight with all of the money I spent on my car and the time and effort, I would have been able to buy a used evo, but hind sight is always 20/20 as they say...now i'm just trying to sell my car because I can't afford it anyone I miss my turbo so much!

I'm in the same boat. I bought a new ES when I was still in school hoping that I would have a job when I graduated. Now that I graduated and have a great job I am wanting to put this money in my car. I am seriously considering turboing my car with the RRM kit however I can't decide if it would be easier and better in the long run to sell my ES and get a Ralliart or EVO. Any advice since you have it seems you have gone through similar predicaments?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by redhawk1205
I'm in the same boat. I bought a new ES when I was still in school hoping that I would have a job when I graduated. Now that I graduated and have a great job I am wanting to put this money in my car. I am seriously considering turboing my car with the RRM kit however I can't decide if it would be easier and better in the long run to sell my ES and get a Ralliart or EVO. Any advice since you have it seems you have gone through similar predicaments?
I can say this. I love working on cars, and having installed my turbo kit on my lancer myself was so much fun! It was most enjoyable when ppl weren't expecting a plain old lancer to leave them in the dust. All of the research and parts searching was fun and I learned a lot in the process. With that in mind i absolutely wish i had just saved up a few extra pennies and bought an evo! you will get the AWD and what seams to be an endless number of modifications which you can make little by little which will keep you satisfied. I would not settle for a RA simply because it is not a manual. But the decision will ultimately be yours. If you feel like just a little extra umph will satisfy you then cost wise the lancer with the turbo kit will be a great choice esp with insurance, however if you think you will want to keep modding after the turbo install then it's just not worth it with the es.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:24 AM

That's such a tough decision! I want to get SRI and exhaust in the near future but I just feel like I will never be satisfied if you know what I mean. I will always find something I want to make better or mod.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by redhawk1205
That's such a tough decision! I want to get SRI and exhaust in the near future but I just feel like I will never be satisfied if you know what I mean. I will always find something I want to make better or mod.
I know exactly what you mean! They will both be fun projects, and you will spend a lot less money on the lancer in the long run, but at the cost of less performance. Looks wise they both look amazing with only a few simple yet subtle changes and the lancer does handle very nicely. If you are planning on turboing the lancer though I would def hold off on buying an intake an exhaust, thats at least 600-700$ right there that could be used towards the turbo whether you decide to go with the rem kit or custom evo x / ralliart set-up.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by mylancer
I know exactly what you mean! They will both be fun projects, and you will spend a lot less money on the lancer in the long run, but at the cost of less performance. Looks wise they both look amazing with only a few simple yet subtle changes and the lancer does handle very nicely. If you are planning on turboing the lancer though I would def hold off on buying an intake an exhaust, thats at least 600-700$ right there that could be used towards the turbo whether you decide to go with the rem kit or custom evo x / ralliart set-up.
Yeah, I have enough knowledge do piece my own kit together so I would have to go with the RRM kit. I would also probably get it professionally installed since I don't know what I'm doing so. After the install and tune and such I'm looking at 5k. I started talking to a dealership about trading in my ES but was not impressed with what they initially offered.

Regardless, I need to save some money haha.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

gosh I miss this forum, oh what fun I had on here! I was getting 44 mpg when I was turboed
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
gosh I miss this forum, oh what fun I had on here! I was getting 44 mpg when I was turboed
I believe you. Isn't that amazing that turboing often increases efficiency in such a way as to improve mileage. We have had many of our customers report back the same thing. They are amazed that with the turbo system, they got better mileage. Weird huh.....
Remember this vid

ROAD/RACE

Quick Reply: RRM Turbo kit