Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

How To: Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Mex24x;9505435][CENTER] O so if u have no GPS u can get video's n music on there?

I'm getting a new Mitsubishi either Ralliart or EVO GSR hopefully GSR EVO just waiting on Gillman Mitsubishi to call me tomorrow to let me know if I don't have TOO MUCH CREDIT OUT cause my credit is 750-800
[/

Yeah. You can buy the head unit seporetly not straight from the parts department and then use my wiring method. But if your getting a new car just go for the full rockford upgrade. Youll have the video wired up from factory then.
There's not too much difference horsepower wise between the ralliart and Evo. Just sone differences in the equipment that comes with each. If you want a real lancer enthusiast perspective and help deciding not just a sales pitch pm me I use to work for Mitsubishi so I can help you choose which one you need more than the want you want. That way you'll be able to go to the dealership and know how much the bank will help you out when they run your credit.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:52 PM

[quote=kpac17;9506333]
Originally Posted by Mex24x
[center] O so if u have no GPS u can get video's n music on there?

I'm getting a new Mitsubishi either Ralliart or EVO GSR hopefully GSR EVO just waiting on Gillman Mitsubishi to call me tomorrow to let me know if I don't have TOO MUCH CREDIT OUT cause my credit is 750-800
[/

Yeah. You can buy the head unit seporetly not straight from the parts department and then use my wiring method. But if your getting a new car just go for the full rockford upgrade. Youll have the video wired up from factory then.
There's not too much difference horsepower wise between the ralliart and Evo. Just sone differences in the equipment that comes with each. If you want a real lancer enthusiast perspective and help deciding not just a sales pitch pm me I use to work for Mitsubishi so I can help you choose which one you need more than the want you want. That way you'll be able to go to the dealership and know how much the bank will help you out when they run your credit.
Besides exterior wise the only other thing besides maybe interior of course, I heard the only REAL DIFFERENCE is that the Ralliart turbo is smaller than the EVO X which I saw for myself and yes it is LoL

Thank's I WILL DO!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 07:50 AM

The turbo is not smaller.... It's a twin scroll turbo vs a single scroll turbo.

You don't compare turbos based on the physical size, it is not like saying "Oh hey this 4cyl is a 2.0 and this 4cyl is a 2.4." You're comparing apples to candy bars.

Last edited by Possible10GTS; Aug 21, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:02 AM

I just picked up a barebones 2012 DE and would like to hookup my MP3. Is there anything different in the 2012 modles?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by crazy_dave
I just picked up a barebones 2012 DE and would like to hookup my MP3. Is there anything different in the 2012 modles?
Nope they should be the same.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:51 PM

Hi! i am nelson and i am very happy because i lucky to join it.,
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:48 AM

So i did the install and now i have no control with the face of the head unit. it doesn't light up or anything. i can turn it on and change the volume and station with my steering wheel controls. any idea why my face plate of my 08 oem head unit doesn't work? help asap please!!!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:54 AM
Account Disabled

great write-up man. ima get one of these
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by txpile
So i did the install and now i have no control with the face of the head unit. it doesn't light up or anything. i can turn it on and change the volume and station with my steering wheel controls. any idea why my face plate of my 08 oem head unit doesn't work? help asap please!!!
You probably cut a wire that controls that from head unit. No way of really knowing without seeing it.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by crazy_dave
Did it work? i also have a 2012.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Question for anyone out there since I am not available to check myself currently:

What is the wire size of the radio wires in the harness/mp3 cable? The size should all be the same.

I making my own cable with an Ipod/phone connector that sends audio through those same connections points on the connector and takes power off of the cig lighter power signal (using a standard cig usb adaptor to step down voltage)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

Radio Harness Wire size?

Anyone? Wire Sizes in the radio (what gauge is the wire?)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by dolson222
Question for anyone out there since I am not available to check myself currently:

What is the wire size of the radio wires in the harness/mp3 cable? The size should all be the same.

I making my own cable with an Ipod/phone connector that sends audio through those same connections points on the connector and takes power off of the cig lighter power signal (using a standard cig usb adaptor to step down voltage)
Ok, just so i understand exactly what you're doing, you want to use a iPod USB cable to run audio to the head unit and charge the iPod at the same time right?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Ipod charging /aux cable

I figured out how to read the wire sizing on the factory diagrams. I missed the paragraph near the beginning of section 90 that explains it.
-If the wire color letters are alone next to the wire its a .5mm wire[ex. B-Y is a .5mm^2 Black with a Yellow stripe wire]
-If the letters are in parenthesis then its a .3mm wire [ex (L-G) is a .3mm^2 Blue with a green stripe wire]
-For any other sizes it will give the wire size as a number before the color [ex. .85R-W or 1.25V are .85mm^2 Red with white stripe and 1.25mm^2 solid violet wires respectively]
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Answer to Ipod cable question

Originally Posted by kpac17
Ok, just so i understand exactly what you're doing, you want to use a iPod USB cable to run audio to the head unit and charge the iPod at the same time right?
You need to address both power and audio signal. The Ipod charging usb cable only utilizes four pins/wires (gnd, 5v+, Data+ and Data- and these power wires are hooked into a few different pins due to different generations charging with different pins in the connector) and an Ipod/mp3 aux cable uses three pins/wires that run to the headphone jack.

I wanted a cable that would only have one connection point (Ipod/phone connector) that would both charge the ipod/phone and send audio signal rather than have the bottom connector hook up for harging anf the top plugged into the headphone jack:

I bought a cable that has one end as an ipod connector and the other splits into a usb and a 3.5mm headphone jack. Unfortunately all of the wires in the cable were 28 gauge and Im guessing will be difficult to fit in any connecter so I will solder the factory correct gauge wires as extensions as needed.

For Audio connection:
I cut off the headphone jeck to get the three wires I would need to wire into the radio aux input pins in the radio connector. (the factory mp3 cable or RCA jack wires for these are .5mm^2 wires or approx 20ga) Once I get the 20ga attached wires it will be ready to install into the factory location.

For power connection:
-First off the power source I want to use is the Ciggarette adaptor (12v ACC) but the phone/I pod charges through USB cables (5V). This required a step down in voltage.
-For this I am using a Cig-usb power adapter circuit. The interesting part of an ipod is it charges at 2A not 1A unlike most other cells/mp3s so I needed a usb adaptor that was made for 2A charging.
- To solve this I got a two port usb adaptor and disassebled it to get the circuit board out. I ran 16 ga power wires from 12 pos and neg connection points on the circuit board so I could wire it together into the cig socket wiring under the console (they are .5mm^2 or appox 20ga wires with a 15 amp fuse in the circuit) .
-At this point I had two options: A) keep the usb attachment plugged in and taped together or B) save space and cut the usb connection out and hard wire it to the circuit board. For this initial setup I went with A (usb holds very tightly and is very reliable) but in the future I may go with B to try it out.

When assembled the only part that will show is the Ipod connection part of the cable that will come out of the RCA port blockoff plate. if all goes well maybe ill make a few

Last edited by dolson222; Jan 6, 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: How To: Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable