Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

DarkMitsu's 4g64 Swap Page

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
even though they are the same motor doesn't mean what works for yours is whats gonna work for his . mileage is a factor since i believe both of you are running used motors (maybe not),rings,leaky injectors,etc.etc. "BV" get that tune is all i can say .

im not bashing, i just came across the thread doing some catch up because im doing this swap also and been piecing together my parts list for well over a year (finishing up a hi-comp turbo build in my FC rx7)

so in the end to both of you guys . and "BV" thats cool ur the first in texas with the swap . i was truly trying but hard times come at the most dumbest times
Old May 5, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea i hope to get some good numbers with the tune. I already have an aem intake, rpw header, and 2.5'' catback. May the 18th is the day. Another problem i have is that the check engine light for the fron 02 sensor keeps coming back on, its strange because the sensor is good, i used an obd scanner on it and it had no activity, but once i cleared the check engine light, it started working fine, the light comes on after a couple of days and comes back faster if i drive it hard so im thinking that running rich is causing the voltage readings to spike and is tricking the ecu to think the sensor is malfunctioning? at this point that is the most logical thing i can think of. i cleared the code again and im going to drive like grandpa for a while and see if the light comes back.

Unek when are you going to do this swap? it feels good to be the first in texas

Oh and darkmitsu was your car overheating? or just running at 210-220 degrees? its strange because i think i read on the 3g forum that this is the normal operating temp for the g64. Also i was thinking of maybe switching out the fan controller for the eclipse one because im currently using the lancer controller. THe mishimoto aluminum radiators dont cost to much and ill probably pick one up after i get my ac back on because this weather sucks. You know what im talking about lol.
Old May 29, 2010, 09:39 PM

Nice, like picture + guide
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

bump. what if you have an auto trans? how hard would it be?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

i read on the mirage forum that the auto dfiferential is the same as the 5 speed. so i guess converting it to 5 speed in the process wouldnt be too hard.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Well the lancer finally died today, went out to start it this morning and it would crank but wouldn't start , pulled out my trusty tactrix cable and scanned it , it was throwing 4 codes 2 for the maf, 1 for coolant temp , and one for crankshaft position sensor.

So in my research & troubleshooting I ended up removing and replacing the crankshaft position sensor and it did not fix the problem , I get the 12 volts for the sensor power , the ground for the sensor ground is good , and the signal wire gets 5 volts while the ignition is in the on position , but when you turn the car over the signal is suppose to oscilate between 0-5 volts back and forth , it doesnt do that , and in evoscan if you log the crank signal it doesn't go back and forth from 0 to 1 like it suppose to.

Both the first and second new sensors ,and the old sensor have the same symptoms , I also tried swapping the ecu with another known good one and it did not fix the issue .

PROBLEM RESOLVED
After hours of messing with it I found the problem well a patch for the problem more or less , I jumped the sensor ground and made an additional ground for it to the engine and bam she cranks up and purs like a kitten , interesting that the factory ground tested fine I used my voltmeter and tested the connection and the ground on the sensor had a connection to the ground on the battery. So all if good and she is back on the road...

Last edited by darkmitsu; Oct 16, 2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:53 PM

...dunno if anyones still thinking about doing this swap but id say go for it. ive got an 02 4g64 galant w/ sonata dohc custom turbo kit and evo 8 ecu and im running as much as 18 psi daily on the stock block with no problems and im quite a bit over the 300hp mark with no traction issues on 215/35/17s in the front and im still on the crap auto the car came with its gonna die soon so im manual swapping soon.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:55 AM

Talking

would a 3.0L dohc v6 from a 3000gt vr4 be easy and compatible with my 02 lancer?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lancer02alex
would a 3.0L dohc v6 from a 3000gt vr4 be easy and compatible with my 02 lancer?
heck yeah do it , although I think it would be sweeter to import the 2.5 twin turbo engine from a japanese galant that way its shorter stroke and higher rev engine...

By the way guys there will be a new dyno sheet up soon , car is now sitting at 175k and needs some more attension , I have a generic cone filter setup with maf adapter and have some header mocking up to do over the next few weekends , I purchased a set of used 3g CMF headers and they will need to be modded , still will need to hunt down an exhaust for it .
Old Mar 7, 2011, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

So everything is running pretty good?
Old May 28, 2011, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Well, bad news , good news. What now... Do I put it in FWD format in the lancer, and make a writeup to show people its easy and can be done all day long... Do I buy a galant and do a Manual transmission and engine swap make a write up for it do it fwd or awd... Do I buy a 3g spydur and swap it awd or fwd ... Do I roll it in the corner cover it up and wait until I can afford a 4G and swap it into there... Do I buy a 88 2 door montero and make a sick RWD pajero... To many dang decisions here...
Name:  IMG_3066.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  142.1 KB
Name:  IMG_3071.jpg
Size:  148.2 KB
Name:  IMG_3078.jpg
Size:  129.3 KB
Name:  IMG_3068.jpg
Size:  136.8 KB
Old May 30, 2011, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

I think you should do whatever you wish. Don't base anything on this forum for your decision.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

right you are kind sir...
Originally Posted by Jehuty
I think you should do whatever you wish. Don't base anything on this forum for your decision.
Old May 30, 2011, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

nah you should definitely do it fwd with the transmission you already have, to show how easy it is, to see how it drives with evo power in a lancer body, and to have a fast daily driver with a mild tune.
Old May 31, 2011, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

It's not just a matter of dropping it in and then having a "fast daily driver".

Traction, as I"ve always said, is the pain in the *** with this swap. Always has been, always will be.

Quick Reply: DarkMitsu's 4g64 Swap Page