Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Tightening throttle cable??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2003, 01:52 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by myoung
It's not the ECU controlled throttle response that you would be adjusting, but the moment at which the throttle starts to open in relation to the movement of the pedal. With slack in the cable, there is the initial tightening of the cable that has to happen before the cable starts to pull on the throttle arm. The more slack you have, the father the pedal has to travel to tighten the cable before the throttle starts to open. It doesn't seem like it would be much, but as urbanknight described the reasons for his adjusting the slack, a small change can give a slight edge.
Yeah, that's the way I was talking about. When going into oversteer, you release the pedal and the tail swings around, and when you punch the gas it sends the car heading straight. So the split second it takes for the cable to take up slack can cause need for an adjustment in steering or be a split second of power that was lost. Not that it makes much difference, but for the 10 seconds it tool me to loosen and tighten 2 bolts, I figured it was worth it.

I don't know abything about spacers, or what good that would do if the car already opens the throttle 100% as is.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing that I did notice is this...when I replaced my intake manifold with rrm ported intake manifold, i had to take the throttle cable off the intake obviously. well when i put it back on , I tightened it to much, not thinking anything of it. Well turn out, im driving down the road and i stop in a parking lot. The car idles for a minute or two then my check engine light comes on. Took it back to the house an dhooked up an ODB II scanner. Turns out that if they cable is too tight, the ecu will read that the idle is too high, so if the car sits idle for too long the computer will pick up on this. Easily remedied, just loosen the cable little by little till the light no longer comes on when your idling, thats a good way to know if its too tight or not IMO.