Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Bleeding Transmission

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2005, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Bleeding Transmission

I just installed my new motor i got, and finally started up my car for the 1st time in about two weeks. Befor i started it up though. I noticed that my clutch had lost all its pressure and had no idea what the hell happend. Befor i riped everything back out of my car and started to find out the problem, i thought i ask on here 1st. So i did a search and found out how to bleed the transmission. Just where is the bleeder located on the transmission? All i got so far is "there should be a bleeder at the secondary cylinder on the transmission." Just were exacally is that?

Also i started my motor anyways, just to see if it would run. Heres how it went, I started it, *sputter pop pop pop sputter hisssss* It stalled. I tryed it to more times and same thing. I look over some things and i notcied my buddy that was helping me put my coils on backwards so, that was one thing, also after i found that i just decided to change the spark plugs. We tryed it again. Then Varooomm.... Sputter sputter spit spit hisssss..., it stalled again i tryed it again. This next time i tried it with a little bit of gas, and it would stay running as long as i was giving it gas. Other than that its just stalling out soon as it starts. Anyone might know what the problem might be with the stalling out?
I just thought of messing with the throttle body screw, maybe i have the idle set too low, but i dont think thats the only thing.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
i'd luv to help you but i know jack about cars srry
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

I'll go take a pic of the valve
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

here ya go

Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:55 PM

thx for the pic that helps alot
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

you need to check your vacuum lines. Did you remember to reinstall the brake booster hose on the rear of the intake manifold? What about the exhaust gas recirc valve on the side of the manifold? There's a weird hose with like 3 kinks in it that goes on the hose/wire panel on the front of the IM- make sure that's on, too.

Was this a "sealed" engine when you got it and installed it? I ask because it's easy to get the exhaust valves and intake valves backwards if you do any headwork.

If you managed to get the engine to turn over even a little, I'd say it has nothing to do with the tranny. Also, disconnect the battery and do an ECU reset- I had that problem, too after an install.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

did you get the problem solved??
Old Mar 26, 2005, 04:16 PM

not yet im in vegas this weekend and my car is at the hobby shop. My buddy is suposed to be trying to fix it. So im in contact with him here.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by engineerboy
you need to check your vacuum lines. Did you remember to reinstall the brake booster hose on the rear of the intake manifold? What about the exhaust gas recirc valve on the side of the manifold? There's a weird hose with like 3 kinks in it that goes on the hose/wire panel on the front of the IM- make sure that's on, too.

Was this a "sealed" engine when you got it and installed it? I ask because it's easy to get the exhaust valves and intake valves backwards if you do any headwork.
Thx for the info, i just got home im going to try that now wish me luck. Yes it was a "sealed" engine as far as i know. I can tell the people took good care of it and did check ups at the dealership on it because it was clean and there was the oil filter from the dealership still on it, not a useal FRAM like i see on every car.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 08:53 PM

Well i check the vacuum lines, and low and behold it was a fat hose to the back of the intake-manifold. I'm guessing it was the brake booster hose. So it run's fine. My car is back alive again!!!!

However. I still have no clutch pressure. we tryd getting pressure alot of different ways. the 1st thing we did was losen the bleed screw on the transmission. push the clutch in. close the screw. depress the clutch. open the screw. push the clutch..... the only thing it was doing was blowing air and squirting some fluid. After no luck.

We did that opposite, push clutch in, open screw, depress clutch, close screw, press clutch..... etc. After no luck doing that. We tried it with the parking break off, and then we tried it with the car running, and the car off.

Then the final thing we did was using a manual pump and still no damn luck. Anyone have any clue what i should try next??? I'm out of ideas.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

if u were letting the clutch pedal come up while the screw was open, then u made the problem worse. You want to open the screw while somebody is pressing down on the clutch. Before the clutch is fully depressed close the screw again. If air is coming out then your doing it right. Make sure to keep the fluid topped off while ur doin it though
Old Mar 29, 2005, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by brentg07
if u were letting the clutch pedal come up while the screw was open, then u made the problem worse. You want to open the screw while somebody is pressing down on the clutch. Before the clutch is fully depressed close the screw again. If air is coming out then your doing it right. Make sure to keep the fluid topped off while ur doin it though
Allright cool thx we will do that today.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 09:02 PM

Sweet it worked i finally got my car home!!! The problem that i was having was, the place where you put the brake fluid in it was full and the rear chamber looked full because its stained brown. So i thought it was full untill i put a light under it and saw threw the clear plastic. lol my bust for thinking it was full, lol. Well thx alot guys for your help.