Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Learning fiberglass help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2004, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Learning fiberglass help

alright, here is whats up. i have a hood that is not molded right and i want to make it custom to fit right. what i need to do is chop where the hood meets the brackts to hook up to. My ? at the most basic is this, how can i hook two pieces of dried fiberglass together. lets say circle A to plain B? thanks guys.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=93991

check out that thread Kareem is posting stuff step by step with really good pics
Old Sep 5, 2004, 01:52 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think he wants to attach 2 peices of dried fiberglass. Just pour resin in between them and squeeze them together and use something to hold em in place for a few hours.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 01:54 AM
Evolved Member

ahh sounds like fun... or a mess.... either way good luck with that dude and kareem get yo *** in the ***** thread :P
Old Sep 5, 2004, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

uhh if i understand u you can do that it will break with time though, take pics of what u want 2 do 2 explain it better you might need more then just resin pm me if you need help all our installers do is play with fiberglass etc all day
Old Sep 5, 2004, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

i'll try to take pics tomorrow but what i need to do is cut the mold where the hood is screwed to the hood latches and remove about .5 inches of fiberglass to make the height correct. then i need to put the resized piece back on the hood. it needs to be able to support some weight but not too much, i'm the only one that goes under the hood so i don't have to worry about someone not knowing it's weakness. thanks for the help so far. i hope to work on this tuesday when i get time off work.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

just resin is not going to hold for very long. resin alone is flexible and will break in a very shrot time. if there is no matte or cloth in the mix to help hold and support the weight and all teh elements of the hood it will not hold. you must use matte also.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

thanks sleek
Old Sep 5, 2004, 07:51 PM

use fiberglass cloth to "join" the two pieces together, and apply resin to it while holding the 2 pieces together...make sure that the two edges you are joining are roughened up and free of any oils and dust. Use a clamp or some rig of some sort to hold them together while the resin cures. You can use fiberglass matte, but the woven fiberglass cloth is much stronger due to the interlocked weave. One last final tip, squeeze out any excess resin that is on the cloth with a roller, as excess resin will get brittle and crack over time. Don't forget that resin is a b**ch to clean up, so don't get any resin anywhere you don't want to.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

fiberglass is a nightmare thats all there is to it
Old Sep 11, 2004, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

not to someone with skill
Old Sep 11, 2004, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

FIberglass is some awesome stuff. You need to use mat or weave in your application to join the two pieces, I would say, grind down the edges on both pieces so that you have a little gap to work with, Also sand down the thickness of the original piece so you can add your reinforcement, Go to walmart, buy the "bondo fiberglass repair kit" and follow the instruction on there,, Remember, if you are looking for a finished surface on one side that is clean and ready for paint, you have to sand it flat, so sand the piece down first so you can build it back up with your new glass, This way you are not just sanding off the repair you just did.

Been working with glass for years. Love the stuff!!!