Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

2008 Lancer LSD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nj_08_gts
Rebuilding one was the worst experience of my life
You clearly never installed a rear motor mount on the 4G94 Lancer. I actually sold my 02 with the rear mount still in because I refused to remove it.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nj_08_gts
Correctamundo. But it's not an LSD in the traditional sense, so it doesn't have the same effect.
Wow. Thats the best thing I've heard all day.

A LSD is a Limited Slip Differential. As someone else said it transmits power to both wheels even if one has less traction than the other. It goes in place of the open differential in the final drive portion of the power train. In a rear wheel drive car it is installed in the read end, not in the transmission since the driven wheels are at the back of the car. In a FWD car it is installed in the transaxle assembly, in the bottom where the half shafts connect to the transaxle. Your differential - wether it be open, LSD, locker, etc - is what drives your axles.

A torque converter couples an automatic transmission to the motor, just as a clutch does in a manual transmission. This is the interface between engine and transmission systems, no where near the final drive portion of the power train.

in the image below the differential is connected to the big gear (the picture is a rear end from a RWD car/truck).

An LSD really won't help much in ice and snow, it will just cause both front wheels to spin making steering effectively zero. The reason is because in low traction it takes even less effort to spin your wheels , and FWD steer with the drive wheels. If the steering wheels are spining with out traction, you can't turn.

Here's a great link to learn more about these different types of drive trains.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-tr...ms-channel.htm

You all should read all of that and understand what works with what and what each component does before you spend another dollar on parts for your car.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 08:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we will have to see if the 2009 confirmation of Traction control happens

it will be interesting indeed.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David from RPW just placed a post regarding a 4B11 LSD group buy in the following section:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...already-3.html