Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

turbo lancer running lean

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2003, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question turbo lancer running lean

hey everyone
i have the rrm intercooled turbo runnin at 5 psi, with gsx fuel pump, vortech fmu, and apexi safc. at wot thru first gear im just in the first 2 or three bars of rich on my air fuel gauge but in second gear or higher at wot my mixture goes down to the last 2 red lights in the lean. its the same if i have my afc set for no correction or full correction at wot. any ideas? i dont want to turn my boost up any higher till i get this fixed or is it not a problem
Old Sep 8, 2003, 12:24 AM
EvoM Guru

i'm pretty sure its a problem. whats the ratio at half throttle through 2nd+?

oh yeah, do you have the stock GSX pump or the 255?

Last edited by rhyzin; Sep 8, 2003 at 12:38 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 01:04 AM

i hope your not reliing on that af gauge to tune your car.....

you need to get a digital one in order to tune correctly or if you wana really see how lean you are. Those af gauges that go lean - rich are not dependable..........
Old Sep 8, 2003, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

the ratio at 50 % throttle in 2nd is lean also anything over 40 % throttle give me a lean situation nomatter how much correction used. adding fuel helps keep it rich right until around 40 % throttle. the fuel pump is the one that came with the kit a 190L from an eclipse it says on the box. the air fuel gauge is fine to tune with to a point on your car it does the exact same thing as a digital one except no numbers just lights it tells the voltages on the instructions that came with it, plus the afc has one too.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

If your too lean try upgradeing your injectors. Is it everything the rrm kit gives you? If so I would give Rock a call. What afc do you have? without it does it run fine? thats the kit I'm getting real soon so let me know if you upgraded anything or if the kit just runs us lean. Oh and our cars do run lean from the getgo.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

at only five psi your not supposed to need your injectors upgraded allthough i will be doing tha eventually. i have the apexi safc which when i bought the kit road race said i shouldnt use. but if you look on my profile if i took it out i would have a nice hole in my ceiling because of where i installed it so i just figured i would leave the settings at no correction so it wouldnt be a problem. with out any fuel correction it does the same thing pretty much it just runs a tiny bit leaner
Old Sep 8, 2003, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

The SAFC is a piggyback right? What's your exhaust setup like? That is, do you have both cats? If not, are you throwing a CEL? I believe I read somewhere that a CEL causes the ECU to go closed loop and that might be causing some of your lean problems. But really
Old Sep 8, 2003, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Are you using the AFC's blue wire mod for the O2 reading? It's definately not accurate for TC tuning. For NA, it's close enough, but there is a rumor that it will damage O2 sensors in the long run.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

stock exhaust, still have both cats. not getting the cel, not blue wire mod on the safc, im not really looking at that reading im mostley using the air fuel gauge but im just trying to get it not running lean. i think im going to have to take it to a local tuner shop and pay them the bucks to get it running correct
Old Sep 9, 2003, 06:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Narrowband O2 sensors are not accurate for WOT AFR's and tuning.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

This sounds familiar. Although I can not confirm that it will solve anything yet, I put an adjustable FPR on my car today. I was going dead lean at 2-3 psi with a stock GSX pump, 12:1 FMU, and a maxed AFC. The AFC appeared to be doing nothing to correct the lean problem, and I do know it works because I have been using it for months. I dont think we absolutely need injectors at 5-7 psi but my new thinking is that the FMU cant keep up with the boost. Thats why I put the adjustable FPR on there to up fuel pressure period. You can always trim it off in the lower ranges with the AFC and you wont have to depend on the FMU alone to get your pressure up when you need it under boost. I wish I had my **** on right now to test it out. Please let us know the outcome what ever you do. I am majorly interested in this.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is for all of the damn people that are still calling the resonator a second cat. stop there is only one cat. and further more having a stock exhuast on a turbo car is ridiculous
Old Sep 9, 2003, 02:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by joseph k
this is for all of the damn people that are still calling the resonator a second cat. stop there is only one cat. and further more having a stock exhuast on a turbo car is ridiculous
You're wrong. It's been stated a thousand times and it's fact. There is a cat in the manifold and there is a cat under the car.

Now let's please get back on topic.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

thanks hobie, anyway a.v.b. im gonna take it to a tuner shop here on thursday to see what they say, but your situation sounds exactly like what mine is doing. let me know how the FPR works too cause that might take care of the problem
Old Sep 9, 2003, 05:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'd recommend sitting her on a dyno with a wideband O2. The problem may be nonexistent, smaller or worse than yuu know. I can't stress enough how narrowband sensors are not accurate when it comes to operation out of the normal range.