Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 05:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
I agree on-demand AWD has its place, ideally, perhaps not in this application. All this is for fuel efficiency though...the Audi Ultra system saves 0.3l of gas per 100km. I assume the Focus RS system has roughly similar efficiency/fuel savings. Some smarter bros than me figured that out per gallon in the comments...hilarious. Somebody said it's about the same power draw as AC running.

I don't really think we get a vote here because they sold all of them easily with large demand following.
As long as the system is able to deal with hard driving loads, I'm fine with it being able to completely decouple and/or go into a reactive mode for cruising around. Full time AWD is a waste for cruising around town...
Old Aug 15, 2016, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I was at team O'Neil this weekend, and he has one RS prepped for gravel. He drives it around, but he is very quiet about it. Dont know why. When he got it , he started making videos about the car, but lately nothing comes out.
early stage of the car

But now its more "gravel ready".
small brakes , small wheels and brakes etc. Proper rally exhaust etc.

He didn't even take it out at the rally fast, he just displayed it. And there was hundreds of people etc.

To me looks very dull or uninteresting next to the new STI or the older Evo X.

But that of course it a personal opinion.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 06:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS

Proper rally exhaust etc.
How is a rally exhaust any different than any other performance exhaust? Except the cat as the exhaust tip for classes that require a cat...
Old Aug 15, 2016, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
How is a rally exhaust any different than any other performance exhaust? Except the cat as the exhaust tip for classes that require a cat...

Every rally car required to have a catalytic converter, class doesn't matter.
Changing exhaust system means different in my mind, so as all the rally guys i know of so far.
Usually in rally when people change an exhaust from stock, that is a very good indication something changed in the engine set up also. When you do go through the whole re routing procedure, fabricate a new exhaust system, and do the all other smaller modifications without changing the engine tune at least, i cant remember anyone would do that in rally.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Rob-english strikes again. I think that's a confusing way of saying the car is tuned...maybe.
The following users liked this post:
gsrboi80 (Aug 15, 2016)
Old Aug 15, 2016, 09:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Every rally car required to have a catalytic converter, class doesn't matter.
Changing exhaust system means different in my mind, so as all the rally guys i know of so far.
Usually in rally when people change an exhaust from stock, that is a very good indication something changed in the engine set up also. When you do go through the whole re routing procedure, fabricate a new exhaust system, and do the all other smaller modifications without changing the engine tune at least, i cant remember anyone would do that in rally.
other than requiring a cat, none of what you said is unique to a "rally" exhaust. same thing applies to anyone trying to build the best exhaust for their car, for any discipline
Old Aug 15, 2016, 09:45 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
So, I can't go online to buy a "rally exhaust"?

Old Aug 16, 2016, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
So, I can't go online to buy a "rally exhaust"?

not really lol. usually they do hide as much as possible for the room to the under body protection etc. Also because the different set ups in the same type of cars, usually they dont even look a like besides the tip and the cat. So its not like you make a same exhaust 10 times or more.

There is nothing unique about the rally exhaust in fact, its not even tuned for sound or even look good. That is a very moot point. The point is what is behind the curtain.

When you see one, you have a good guess the car been molested engine wise, and being modifyed more then just a simple. swap on the exhaust system.

here is my for an easy example or easy visualization.

Name:  1278813_3296456906160_1091615249_o_zps933f2846.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  111.3 KB

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 16, 2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
other than requiring a cat, none of what you said is unique to a "rally" exhaust. same thing applies to anyone trying to build the best exhaust for their car, for any discipline
no one said its unique or anything like that. I did explained already why is interesting to have one properly build Rally exhaust in the car. I am not talking about the unique build or quality of the exhaust.
That was taken out of context.
I said its been prepped, and ready for gravel including bits, which includes a proper rally exhaust.
Nothing unique about the small brake kits or wheels for gravel etc. Which i mentioned also.
But also its an idication of modifications being done. There for we have a modified RS for sure, even more modifyed as any 2016 RS in this thread.
And still no news about the car as it was when he got it. I am interested how much labor, work requires, and money to do those, and how well they work. How progress being made, hope fully a lot.
that is the point, not the exhaust itself.
Same token we could have talking about the small brake kits also just as much, dont we?

But i guess there is a need for an instruction on shampoos after all. lol

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 16, 2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

There's also a need for English lessons.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
There's also a need for English lessons.
" What’s Really Happening
Behind all grammar corrections, back-handed compliments, and “it’s-only-a-joke” jibes lies hidden anger. When a Grammar Bully corrects your grammar (especially strangers online), you can rest assured that you are not the cause of his anger. Your word usage was simply the trigger of that anger. The Grammar Bully is in need of companionship, so publicly correcting you sends the homing beacon out to other Grammar Bullies. Grammar Bully is ringing in the friends with whom he can bond over mutual hate of the their/they’re misstep.

When we are angry or stressed, a bonding hormone called oxytocin is released, urging us to form social connections with other humans so as to better our chances for surviving the cause of the stress. A Grammar Bully is feeling insecure in some way, and the insecurity is driving her to gather up friends. Many observers may think the Grammar Bully is about belittling others, but really, the Grammar Bully is just looking to find other Grammar Bullies because she is feeling angry and/or stressed.

Anger can be subconscious and many times it is. We are discouraged from expressing anger when out and about in polite society, so we suppress it. Unfortunately, anger is one of those emotions that bubbles up to the surface. Grammar-correcting behavior is one of suppressed anger’s outlets.

So, now that we understand that insecurity and resentment are forms of anger that are being suppressed in the Grammar Bully... "

this funny lol
Old Aug 16, 2016, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robevo rs
" what’s really happening
behind all grammar corrections, back-handed compliments, and “it’s-only-a-joke” jibes lies hidden anger. When a grammar bully corrects your grammar (especially strangers online), you can rest assured that you are not the cause of his anger. Your word usage was simply the trigger of that anger. The grammar bully is in need of companionship, so publicly correcting you sends the homing beacon out to other grammar bullies. Grammar bully is ringing in the friends with whom he can bond over mutual hate of the their/they’re misstep.

When we are angry or stressed, a bonding hormone called oxytocin is released, urging us to form social connections with other humans so as to better our chances for surviving the cause of the stress. A grammar bully is feeling insecure in some way, and the insecurity is driving her to gather up friends. Many observers may think the grammar bully is about belittling others, but really, the grammar bully is just looking to find other grammar bullies because she is feeling angry and/or stressed.

Anger can be subconscious and many times it is. We are discouraged from expressing anger when out and about in polite society, so we suppress it. Unfortunately, anger is one of those emotions that bubbles up to the surface. Grammar-correcting behavior is one of suppressed anger’s outlets.

So, now that we understand that insecurity and resentment are forms of anger that are being suppressed in the grammar bully... "

this funny lol
...k?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
What about Oxycontin?? ****s no good for you man.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
But i guess there is a need for an instruction on shampoos after all. lol

Especially in a Focus RS thread..........................
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 357 Likes on 241 Posts
I was pretty excited about the Focus RS but this article points out a few issues . Its still a badass car, but I think ford missed the mark. A factory car should be able to be tracked out of the gate at least in stock form IMO
I'd like to thank Vorshlag for continuing to test and add to the community . They have been involved with the Evo/STI platforms and I value what they have to say. Granted its only one review but it comes from a very creditable source.

Incase this hasn't been posted , it is really informative.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58372

Cliff notes, car is fast but see's 300 Degrees F oil temps after a few laps and has to cool down. Upgraded cooling will be needed.
RDU overheats also and as a safe guard it goes into FWD only mode
Driveshaft is pretty small so that may be a concern making power later on
Rear diff was compared to what you would see in a small ATV.
Rear suspension is stamped steel trailing arm torsion blade and the author compares its construction with a 1960's CW bug
Wheels/tires are "only" 235-35-19 and weigh 51.5lbs. Another set of small wider/lighter wheels would be excellent.
Stock tires weren't happy on track.

Last edited by Abacus; Aug 16, 2016 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Focus RS