Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
not really lol. usually they do hide as much as possible for the room to the under body protection etc. Also because the different set ups in the same type of cars, usually they dont even look a like besides the tip and the cat. So its not like you make a same exhaust 10 times or more.

When you see one, you have a good guess the car been molested engine wise, and being modifyed more then just a simple. swap on the exhaust system.
you could have just said that in the first place when I asked whats so special about a "rally" exhaust. they way you worded it (even if you didn't mean it that way), it sounded like a rally exhaust was a completely different animal to any other exhaust out there

as far as changing the exhaust in a rally car being an indication that the engine has been modified... maybe with a developed car thats actually being raced. saying that this car had the engine messed with just cause it has an exhaust is quite the leap in my opinion, even if it is a rally school owned car. Have you seen the Vorshlag thread? I'm thinking O'Niel saw the same crap factory exhaust and decided to replace it with one that doesn't get smashed to a flat 1" pipe in places
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Abacus
I was pretty excited about the Focus RS but this article points out a few issues . Its still a badass car, but I think ford missed the mark. A factory car should be able to be tracked out of the gate at least in stock form IMO
I'd like to thank Vorshlag for continuing to test and add to the community . They have been involved with the Evo/STI platforms and I value what they have to say. Granted its only one review but it comes from a very creditable source.

Incase this hasn't been posted , it is really informative.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58372

Cliff notes, car is fast but see's 300 Degrees F oil temps after a few laps and has to cool down. Upgraded cooling will be needed.
Probably not too hard to improve cooling as long as there is room for an oil cooler and bigger radiator.

RDU overheats also and as a safe guard it goes into FWD only mode.
Hard to say if the RDU can be plumbed for a cooler, also if there is even enough room for a cooler large enough to keep that little diff cool. Also, there is no temp sensor, so the heat induced shut down is purely an algorithm. So even with a cooler, the AWD module will likely need to hacked so this algorithm can be overridden or removed. Then a real temp sensor with a gauge would need to be installed so the driver can monitor diff temps since temps seem to be an issue.

Driveshaft is pretty small so that may be a concern making power later on.
That small part, now that I have looked more closely, is where the shaft goes into the CV joint. The OEM 3 piece shaft on the Evo has a similar neck down going into the CV joint. Makes me wonder how small the Evo one is.

Rear diff was compared to what you would see in a small ATV.
Undersized diffs are hard to keep cool. Even with a big cooler (if there is space), you can easily get into thermal run away.

Rear suspension is stamped steel trailing arm torsion blade and the author compares its construction with a 1960's CW bug.
It looks like this torsion arm could be replaced with a tubular link with a spherical bearing at one or both ends. It is only there to locate the tire front to back, so it could be made pretty light weight. This was a modification done to those early VW's the author mentioned.

Wheels/tires are "only" 235-35-19 and weigh 51.5lbs. Another set of small wider/lighter wheels would be excellent.
255 or 265/35r18's would probably be pretty good. If they can be made to fit. The FoST can fit 275's, need someone to test fitment on the RS.

Stock tires weren't happy on track.
Everyone should expect that out of the PSS's, they're really just a street tire.

Responses in bold. Simply discussion points. Not arguing.
The following users liked this post:
donour (Aug 18, 2016)
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Cliff notes, car is fast but see's 300 Degrees F oil temps after a few laps and has to cool down. Upgraded cooling will be needed.
Probably not too hard to improve cooling as long as there is room for an oil cooler and bigger radiator.

RDU overheats also and as a safe guard it goes into FWD only mode.
Hard to say if the RDU can be plumbed for a cooler, also if there is even enough room for a cooler large enough to keep that little diff cool. Also, there is no temp sensor, so the heat induced shut down is purely an algorithm. So even with a cooler, the AWD module will likely need to hacked so this algorithm can be overridden or removed. Then a real temp sensor with a gauge would need to be installed so the driver can monitor diff temps since temps seem to be an issue.

Driveshaft is pretty small so that may be a concern making power later on.
That small part, now that I have looked more closely, is where the shaft goes into the CV joint. The OEM 3 piece shaft on the Evo has a similar neck down going into the CV joint. Makes me wonder how small the Evo one is.

Rear diff was compared to what you would see in a small ATV.
Undersized diffs are hard to keep cool. Even with a big cooler (if there is space), you can easily get into thermal run away.

Rear suspension is stamped steel trailing arm torsion blade and the author compares its construction with a 1960's CW bug.
It looks like this torsion arm could be replaced with a tubular link with a spherical bearing at one or both ends. It is only there to locate the tire front to back, so it could be made pretty light weight. This was a modification done to those early VW's the author mentioned.

Wheels/tires are "only" 235-35-19 and weigh 51.5lbs. Another set of small wider/lighter wheels would be excellent.
255 or 265/35r18's would probably be pretty good. If they can be made to fit. The FoST can fit 275's, need someone to test fitment on the RS.

Stock tires weren't happy on track.
Everyone should expect that out of the PSS's, they're really just a street tire.

Responses in bold. Simply discussion points. Not arguing.
I agree with all of that. The only real issue that's in the air right now is if/how/how expensive the aftermarket will deal with the RDU. Everything else is typical production car stuff that usually needs to be upgraded anyway to reliably track a car.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Had a few minutes to read the article as was not surprised by the findings:

While the RS is popular with the auto journalist types, it is also a hugely popular car on the internets. The Focus forum fanboys are extremely unforgiving of anyone saying anything critical about this car.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:35 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Just for comparison this:

Is what the evo 8/9 driveshaft looks like where it joins with the rear diff. It measured out to 2.57 inches in OD.

However that is not the narrowest part of the driveshaft. This is where the rear section mates with the lobro joint:

this part measured out to have a 1.09 inch OD (sorry for potato picture quality)
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Had a few minutes to read the article as was not surprised by the findings:

While the RS is popular with the auto journalist types, it is also a hugely popular car on the internets. The Focus forum fanboys are extremely unforgiving of anyone saying anything critical about this car.
They're the same as Evo fanboys.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Just for comparison this:

Is what the evo 8/9 driveshaft looks like where it joins with the rear diff. It measured out to 2.57 inches in OD.

However that is not the narrowest part of the driveshaft. This is where the rear section mates with the lobro joint:

this part measured out to have a 1.09 inch OD (sorry for potato picture quality)

Like I said, similar neck down. Not sure the size on the RS since we got a comparison to a finger, not a measurement.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Who let Rob out of his cage again?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Like I said, similar neck down. Not sure the size on the RS since we got a comparison to a finger, not a measurement.
yah i know, i was trying to back up your claim with pictures and measurements. Clearly people are achieving some pretty high HP numbers without having to upgrade their driveshafts on the evo, so i would imagine it wont be a problem on the RS.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Matt Farah already selling his? :-/

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/484...nest-hot-hatch
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
Matt Farah already selling his? :-/

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/484...nest-hot-hatch
He bought an enthusiast car and now he's selling it because it's not fun to drive in town? Seems pretty dumb to me.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:00 PM

sounds like he realized you aren't attracting any ***** in a Ford Focus
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:04 PM
EvoM Guru

sounds like he realized you aren't attracting any ***** in a Ford Focus
Lol, says the Mitsubishi Lancer owner.

If attracting a woman with your car is a goal... well....

Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Lol, says the Mitsubishi Lancer owner.

If attracting woman with your car is a goal... well....

I never said the evo had any pull either. Just joking about this guys reasons for not wanting it is all. The obvious thing to do if your just trolling for booty is to get a BMW, doesn't really matter what model lol
The following users liked this post:
RazorLab (Aug 16, 2016)
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:11 PM
EvoM Guru

I never said the evo had any pull either. Just joking about this guys reasons for not wanting it is all. The obvious thing to do if your just trolling for booty is to get a BMW, doesn't really matter what model lol
That's what I got from it with his GT350 comments. the FoRS doesn't adequately display his "status"...lol

Quick Reply: Focus RS