Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

track car suggestions / discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 02:59 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
How about an LS swapped 3rd Gen RX7? http://www.norotors.com/
Shhh! Everyone's going to be doing this!

PS - I'm taking the ABS out of mine. You shouldn't be hitting the ABS on track anyway.

Originally Posted by warmmilk
even calipers? really? it has bigger rotors than my rsx and race pads/fluid/lines is enough in that... and the RSX is faster than a stock FRS and about the same weight...
The design is the weak link in your equation. The calipers in the FR-S/BRZ are utter ****.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
while both of these would be awesome projects, they'd be just that, projects. I want a driver that I can modify slowly as I track it... one or 2 mods at a time.. I don't something that I need to spend months to years building
I understand. I thought I'd throw it out there as once it's done you have an awesome build and will get a lot of use out of it with only minor (expected) maintenance and the opportunity to improve as you go.

In that case I'm leaning toward the Miata as a few others have recommended but it sounds like it doesn't fit your requirements.

I'll give this some thought as it's a question I've asked myself a few times before and post back later.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 03:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I had a Z before, a lot of issues creep up once you start tracking them... not really gonna work for me

the way a car feels when driven hard is more important to me then all out speed or time. I really hated the RSX at autox. Track is pretty decent with how I have it set up right now... but I wanna move away from fwd.

I actually don't have an evo right now. I read both of those threads as they were developing. everything brought up there is either too expensive or requires a lot more work than I wanna put in.

I actually looked into a MS Miata. turns out they're not that great for tracking. somehow they don't come on boost till almost 5k rpm, they have over heating issues, they really need a stand alone to run properly and I have to pass emissions every 2 years, so thats more or less out (although if I get a PNP unit I can plug in the stock ecu when I go in for inspection). really needs about 5k worth of crap before its a decent track car

care to elaborate on the basket case part? Having owned an evo (albeit an X) but never tracked it, I never really looked into what it needs to be a reliable track car. anything you know off the top of your head?

yeah, thats kinda what I'm thinking with the FRS/BRZ. I've bought salvaged cars before so thats not an issue. I wouldn't buy one that has frame damage, its usually fairly obvious from pics. anyone know anything about if it needs anything to be a reliable track car? how does the stock radiator handle the heat, does it need an oil cooler?
Basket case to me is just a car that has issues. At that low of a price you're getting a USED Evo. Leaks, maintenance not up to date, a hodge podge of parts because the car has been bought, modded, returned to "stock", and then sold 3 or 7 times over. If the car was abused by prior owners, tcase, diff, and tranny issues will quickly come to life on track, as well as motor issues if the car ever had a questionable tune and managed to survive.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13

PS - I'm taking the ABS out of mine. You shouldn't be hitting the ABS on track anyway.
There is even a well known shop for doing these conversions in WA. http://www.grannysspeedshop.com/
I am telling you, the stars are aligned. An LS swapped Rx7 is a reliable track beast.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 03:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13

The design is the weak link in your equation. The calipers in the FR-S/BRZ are utter ****.
well thats a disappointment.. I'll keep that in mind if I go the FRS route

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Basket case to me is just a car that has issues. At that low of a price you're getting a USED Evo. Leaks, maintenance not up to date, a hodge podge of parts because the car has been bought, modded, returned to "stock", and then sold 3 or 7 times over. If the car was abused by prior owners, tcase, diff, and tranny issues will quickly come to life on track, as well as motor issues if the car ever had a questionable tune and managed to survive.
damn, you're right... I didn't think it through that far... looks like the Evo is out, it was one of my leading contenders too...

Originally Posted by nemsin
There is even a well known shop for doing these conversions in WA. http://www.grannysspeedshop.com/
I am telling you, the stars are aligned. An LS swapped Rx7 is a reliable track beast.
idk man, LS RX7 just doesn't do it for me... I mean its an awesome car and all, and having one as a street car would be awesome, but for a track car it just doesn't tickle my fancy...
Old Oct 9, 2015, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Why not just track your X? Put that 10-15k into consumables and track fees.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

sold it over a year ago, avatar is an old pic
Old Oct 9, 2015, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Is anyone aware of any resources/networks for buying/selling track or competition cars?

I remember not long ago while on the hunt for EVO 8/9 parts for my own project stumbling across a user here selling a full on time attack car for like $18k.

You might get a heck of a lot of car for a low price if it's been caged and optimized for nothing more than competition/race.

I don't mean this just for EVOs, but for any car...
Old Oct 9, 2015, 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

there's racingjunk.com but finding something worth while on there is pretty rare
Old Oct 9, 2015, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

there's racingjunk.com but finding something worth while on there is pretty rare
good to know

lol http://www.racingjunk.com/Other/1825...gle-Talon.html

EDIT: if i were you i'd do the V8 RX7!!!! (i think it'd be more fun and better suited for the track than your current platform)

Last edited by doncarbone; Oct 9, 2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 06:55 PM
EvoM Guru

well FRS is out... apparently its a gamble with DI injectors, some of them have the seals go bad and can cause a blown engine. but its not happening enough for toyota/subaru to admit there's anything wrong. so the fix is to replace the seal with the same seal... which isn't a fix in my book
Old Oct 9, 2015, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

what about an Audi (A4, TT). The TT could be a good little track car.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 08:55 PM
EvoM Guru

haha no

either fwd or fwd biased awd... and its an audi, I flat out don't trust them for reliability, especially for track use
Old Oct 9, 2015, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

haha no

either fwd or fwd biased awd... and its an audi, I flat out don't trust them for reliability, especially for track use
Awd version what I meant. Isn't the EVO fwd biased to an extent as well?

My daily is an Audi A4 and its been very reliable for 8 years. Bought new in 07. It's a bloody tank in the snow too.

This is a video i recall viewing that made me think of the TT as a track car option lol:

https://youtu.be/HlR2E9RwNBo
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by doncarbone
Awd version what I meant. Isn't the EVO fwd biased to an extent as well?

My daily is an Audi A4 and its been very reliable for 8 years. Bought new in 07. It's a bloody tank in the snow too.

This is a video i recall viewing that made me think of the TT as a track car option lol:

https://youtu.be/HlR2E9RwNBo
but the evo doesn't drive like a fwd based awd car, and its certainly not fwd biased. but the audi sure does...

the whole audi unreliabity thing can be entirely in my head, but its kinda like the ls1 rx7 thing, just not doing it for me.. even more so than the rx7

the vid is a TT RS, way out of my price range. if I could blow that much money on a track car the answer would be simple. evo 8/9 and a miata for when I want some rwd fun

and a little off topic, the RSX is sold.

Quick Reply: track car suggestions / discussion