Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Civic Type R

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
it's probably there to equalize pressure somewhere?

I just saw a vid where a group took one to Buttonwillow. It was BONE STOCK and did a 2:04.xxx. They said it would have been faster, but temps were rising, so they couldn't get into any type of rhythm for hot lapping; it was pretty much one and done.

That's pretty damned fast.
maybe... but it still looks stupid

this guy fastest lap dealing with traffic was 2:05 at The Ridge, this was only after the second session (95F), said he didn't have a single clean lap. for reference, my average clean lap is 2:04-2:05 on my Miata, every once in a while I connect the dots and get a 2:03, current PB is 2:02.71. He drove the car here from Montana, 7 hour drive, haha. I didn't get a chance to talk to him after last session, so idk if he improved or got a clean lap. Last session it cooled down to about 80 (felt down right cool compared to the rest of the day)

Originally Posted by razorlab
The Evo 10 has the same thing so stop your crying.
Evo X has an oilcooler on the right side and the left side is blocked off (at least on the USDM bumper). So I'll cry about it all I want.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 01:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk

Evo X has an oilcooler on the right side and the left side is blocked off (at least on the USDM bumper). So I'll cry about it all I want.
Incorrect. It has the EXACT same style on the left side, most is blocked off but some are open...to nothing.

The MR has open vents both sides as the SST cooler is on the left.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 01:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Incorrect. It has the EXACT same style on the left side, most is blocked off but some are open...to nothing.

The MR has open vents both sides as the SST cooler is on the left.
I was going off my Evo X GSR, left side was blocked off and the right side was open for the oil cooler. makes sense that the MR had it open for the SST cooler

we might be on different pages... I'm not complaining about the "fake" vents (although they are a little ridiculous, but I'm over it), I'm complaining about the actual cutout, the part that lets air through, the part I circled in red in the pic above, but there's no cooler or anything behind it
Old Aug 11, 2017, 01:52 PM
EvoM Guru

I was going off my Evo X GSR, left side was blocked off and the right side was open for the oil cooler. makes sense that the MR had it open for the SST cooler

we might be on different pages... I'm not complaining about the "fake" vents (although they are a little ridiculous, but I'm over it), I'm complaining about the actual cutout, the part that lets air through, the part I circled in red in the pic above, but there's no cooler or anything behind it
You aren't reading what I'm posting.

The USDM GSR has a fake vent on the left side and ALSO has some part of it cut out JUST LIKE the CTR and there is NOTHING behind it JUST LIKE the CTR.

It's almost like I own a GSR or something.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 01:58 PM
EvoM Guru

You aren't reading what I'm posting.

The USDM GSR has a fake vent on the left side and ALSO has some part of it cut out JUST LIKE the CTR and there is NOTHING behind it JUST LIKE the CTR.

It's almost like I own a GSR or something.
sorry, I thought I accounted for that with "I was going off my Evo X GSR", I didn't realize some of them didn't have it blocked off
Old Aug 11, 2017, 02:08 PM
EvoM Guru

sorry, I thought I accounted for that with "I was going off my Evo X GSR", I didn't realize some of them didn't have it blocked off
You should walk out to your Evo and check for yourself... oh wait, you don't own an Evo.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 02:26 PM
EvoM Guru

You should walk out to your Evo and check for yourself... oh wait, you don't own an Evo.
ok... you said yourself some evo's had an opening and some had it blocked off... mine had it blocked off... a quick google image search finds plenty of examples with the left side blocked off...

I already said I was wrong about "all" evo's, what else do you want? do you wanna hear how much better you are than me since you still own an Evo?

dude, razor, you are so much better than me in every way since you still have an Evo and I sold mine.

happy?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution X MR model has the flow through open grill mesh on the driver side, if im not mistaken there is a trans cooler or some cooler that is on the driver side and needs the airflow. the gsr model has a plastic mesh looking cover which does not allow air to flow through since there is no cooler there. I have had 2 evo x's (08 and 14) both came with the plastic cover. Used to go to mitsubishiparts.net (now i go to the dealership) and get the evo x mr grill, looks so nice.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

careful before razor goes off on you for being less right than he is
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
it's probably there to equalize pressure somewhere?

I just saw a vid where a group took one to Buttonwillow. It was BONE STOCK and did a 2:04.xxx. They said it would have been faster, but temps were rising, so they couldn't get into any type of rhythm for hot lapping; it was pretty much one and done.

That's pretty damned fast.
A completely different thing, but the Civic Si is pretty good (high grip) for a normal car.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
ok i've seen two of these now driven at local events by very good drivers, and they are pretty damn quick - like, competitive in BS quick
Old Aug 14, 2017, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
TypeR has some fancy aftermarket intake on the market, CF etc. Only with that, made extra 25 -30 hp extra with my friend retune. I think it will be an awesome car as soon as aftermarket catches up
Granted wet , from dig wont be as good as AWD, but on track etc, watch out fo rthem
I see several Type R , and i have to say it. I like it more and more .
Great car. I do like it better than the Ford RS.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 08:08 AM
EvoM Guru

ok... you said yourself some evo's had an opening and some had it blocked off... mine had it blocked off... a quick google image search finds plenty of examples with the left side blocked off...

I already said I was wrong about "all" evo's, what else do you want? do you wanna hear how much better you are than me since you still own an Evo?

dude, razor, you are so much better than me in every way since you still have an Evo and I sold mine.

happy?
You still are not reading what I wrote. Every.single.usdm.gsr on the drivers side had a fake vent with some of the top honeycombs open, just like the CTR.

The last comments from you.. relax, I was joking about my ownership comment. Did you not see the beer emoji?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Just be glad its not a block off plate from a van.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Still sore I see.

Quick Reply: Civic Type R