Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

STU ECU questions

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 11:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If that's the case, make one of these small enough tot fit in the MAP or ETS down pipe. Put a threaded turn buckle on it and it would be fully adjustable.

http://www.absurdflow.com/exhaustflapper.html
Old May 2, 2016, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Interesting... Never seen that before
Old May 3, 2016, 03:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
That's what I suggested one page ago:
So, I couldn't remember where I got the idea...

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If that's the case, make one of these small enough tot fit in the MAP or ETS down pipe. Put a threaded turn buckle on it and it would be fully adjustable.

http://www.absurdflow.com/exhaustflapper.html
There are a few mufflers that come with a flapper like that. At the very end of the exhaust I wouldn't be too worried about it leaking around the pivot pin. In the downpipe I'd be more worried about it leaking, and I'd be more worried about the leaking exhaust being hot enough to damage something.

(Then again, I'm one of the more conservative Evo owners. I don't believe in this "Everybody needs a long block some day" business.)

If you install such a thing in your downpipe, you could keep the spring, but experiment with different springs.

Last edited by BluEvo210; May 3, 2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old May 3, 2016, 06:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by BluEvo210
So, I couldn't remember where I got the idea...

There are a few mufflers that come with a flapper like that. At the very end of the exhaust I wouldn't be too worried about it leaking around the pivot pin. In the downpipe I'd be more worried about it leaking, and I'd be more worried about the leaking exhaust being hot enough to damage something.

(Then again, I'm one of the more conservative Evo owners. I don't believe in this "Everybody needs a long block some day" business.)

If you install such a thing in your downpipe, you could keep the spring, but experiment with different springs.
It won't leak if the shaft is fitted properly to the "bushings". That's all the shaft for the wastegate flapper on the turbo uses. There isn't a rubber seal or anything. I could definitely see that thing needing to be made of much more robust material to able to act as a secondary waste gate though.
Old May 3, 2016, 08:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
I love how deep we are in to the grey area of the rules just to get a few more pounds of boost.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I could definitely see that thing needing to be made of much more robust material to able to act as a secondary waste gate though.
Ssshhhh! Don't call it a secondary wastegate, because then it sounds like it's part of the boost control system.

This is just a part of the exhaust, right?
Old May 3, 2016, 08:07 AM
EvoM Guru

It's an "exhaust turbulence controller" LOL

For you guys, 2-3, maybe even 4psi of boost if you design it right, could be 50wtq/50whp. A big gain...
Old Jul 6, 2016, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

I was wondering what the tune would do for my gas mileage, and it certainly didn't hurt it.
Yesterday I drove from Durham, NC to Chesapeake, VA on about half a tank of gas.

203.4mi/7.666gal = 26.53mpg

The last time my Evo got that kind of gas mileage was the trip from FL to NM where I unbolted the wing and put it in the back seat.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 08:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
I was wondering what the tune would do for my gas mileage, and it certainly didn't hurt it.
Yesterday I drove from Durham, NC to Chesapeake, VA on about half a tank of gas.

203.4mi/7.666gal = 26.53mpg

The last time my Evo got that kind of gas mileage was the trip from FL to NM where I unbolted the wing and put it in the back seat.
Your tuner may not have even touched the parts of your maps involved in light-load cruising like you'd see on a road trip. Your car should be in closed loop at steady-state cruise anyway, so fueling maps wouldn't even come in to play there. There could be a little bit of efficiency to be had by tweaking timing, but it's not much and your tuner would have had to pay attention to light-load steady-state to dial that in anyway.

There are a couple threads around here about dialing in light-load timing for better cruise efficiency if you're interested. Some people take it a step farther and use a wideband O2 gauge to output a simulated narrowband signal around a leaner mixture point, but there are some issues with that method as well.

Your TBE probably helps with mileage a bit though. FWIW, I average around 25-26mpg for freeway driving with my IX and I haven't touched any of the relevant cells in the tune. The trick is to cruise at a consistent speed and have a light touch on the gas pedal on the freeway.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 08:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
Your tuner may not have even touched the parts of your maps involved in light-load cruising like you'd see on a road trip. Your car should be in closed loop at steady-state cruise anyway, so fueling maps wouldn't even come in to play there. There could be a little bit of efficiency to be had by tweaking timing, but it's not much and your tuner would have had to pay attention to light-load steady-state to dial that in anyway.

There are a couple threads around here about dialing in light-load timing for better cruise efficiency if you're interested. Some people take it a step farther and use a wideband O2 gauge to output a simulated narrowband signal around a leaner mixture point, but there are some issues with that method as well.

Your TBE probably helps with mileage a bit though. FWIW, I average around 25-26mpg for freeway driving with my IX and I haven't touched any of the relevant cells in the tune. The trick is to cruise at a consistent speed and have a light touch on the gas pedal on the freeway.
A tune should get your fuel trims dialed in much closer than stock, especially if you have replaced the intake. This usually results in better mpg. Also, most tuners have their own complete timing table. I know in my car they are very different from stock, even in the low/cruise load areas of table.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

I have one of these:

(ATP "divorced and transformable" downpipe)
After 8 years and 80,000 miles it has a leak in the flex section. I think I got my money's worth out of it.
I might just replace it with another pipe of the same kind.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
In other news, we can fiddle with boost in the tune now. Not that it makes a difference.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
In other news, we can fiddle with boost in the tune now. Not that it makes a difference.
It doesn't??
Old Apr 3, 2019, 07:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
It doesn't??
Not on the 8/9 without changing the pill.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess, time for upgrade!!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this legal for STU?

Quick Reply: STU ECU questions