Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

FilthyEvo's track car build/track day writeups

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by delongedoug
Issues sorted out of the blue, it randomly fired up today. Pretty sure the fuel pump wasn't firing on previous start attempts but after manually activating it with a battery to confirm it was operational, the car started today when I was testing spark. Ordering a new battery and registering for the next NHMS event now.

My buddy was in run group 2 so we were out of there a little after 4, which was nice. Interested to hear your experience out there.
Awesome! So glad to here it! I will be there as well - did you get a garage?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, always get a garage. Not all tracks have such amenities. Lime Rock is nothing but a parking lot.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by delongedoug
Yep, always get a garage. Not all tracks have such amenities. Lime Rock is nothing but a parking lot.
I just signed up for Sunday DE and Monday TT. Snagged a garage for both days. Can't wait!

Ah, yeah, NJMP doesn't have garages either I heard. I need to pick up a canopy.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
this thread inspires me to track my car:/
Old Jun 4, 2013, 04:59 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FilthyEvo
I just signed up for Sunday DE and Monday TT. Snagged a garage for both days. Can't wait!

Ah, yeah, NJMP doesn't have garages either I heard. I need to pick up a canopy.
NJMP has garages. BUt for this weekend, they're probably reserved for the racers. LOL. I hve a canopy I'll bring so we don't have to sit in the sun dawg! My olive skin burns like a whitey when in the sun too long!!!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

LOL, oh! I was under the impression they didn't have garages. NICE!

Yeah, I'm going to pick up one as well so we can have plenty of room for awesome activities.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 05:45 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Subtle homo-erotic post!

My canopy is a 10x10. Plenty of room to roll around under!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
^Subtle homo-erotic post!

My canopy is a 10x10. Plenty of room to roll around under!

Perfect!

Write up from the last track day coming soon!
Old Jul 5, 2013, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

It's been a while since I've updated this thread.

Here's a short writeup of my first track day/TT ever. It was at NHMS, and had an unexpected result!

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
where is that update?? how did you do in your TT?
Sunday morning we got two 20 minute practice sessions with cars in similar classes. Since I was the only student that got solo'd, they advised me to bump down a group to run with a smaller run group. This was the first time I'd run in the car by myself (no instructor). First lap or two, I talked the laps out loud, which really helped me remember all the advice and visual points my instructor gave me.

Just for Chu, I ain't never gave no point by's all weekend! But on a more serious note, in practice I discovered I was still coming in too fast on a few crucial corners before straights, under steering like a ****, and scrubbing a bunch of speed.

Anyways TT came and we got paired up with cars with similar times from practice. I don't have a lap timer (didn't get a mount for my iPhone to use TrackAttack) so I had my girlfriend and dad stand at a spot on the track and stopwatch time my laps.

I was classed with an Austin Heeley 3000 something, lol, an LS1 RX7, and a C5 Z06 for TT who were all running 1:20's-1:22's. We'd be let out of the pits at 20 seconds apart.

One warm up lap at 8-9/10th, 3 flying laps, and then back into the pits after turn 1 to cool down around the paddock.

First lap felt great, hit all my apexes, slowed down where I needed too and was flying onto the straights! Definitely felt an improvement, and early shifting points when I approached crucial (before straight) turns slower, and gripped instead of plowing through. Second lap felt even better, and on the frot straight, past the start/finish, I could start to see myself catching the vette, and fast! On the third lap, by turn 6 I was getting close, and by turn 10 I was on his ***. Turn 11a, and 11b, into 12 are the crucial slow corners before the front straight, and I had to let off because there was no passing allowed in TT. And I backed off because I didnt want to mess up his last lap for him. So my third flying lap was a throwaway.

IF we were to catch the car in front of us, we were given the opportunity to rerun, but that would cancel out all three lap times from the original TT session. I was happy with my 2nd lap, so I decided not to run.

Anyways, I ended up running my fastest time all weekend of a 1:16.482!! This was good enough to take 1st in class, and get me the 3rd fastest time of the TT. Just missing second fastest, to a Z06 (1:16.46X) and the FTD from a little F1 car (1:13).

Had a great f*cking weekend, and my instructor was so awesome. Helped me out so much! And the car felt so dialed in. Couldn't have been happier.

Sorry for the novel, I'm writing this for my build thread.

Old Jul 5, 2013, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Finally tossed together a video of a few laps from last weekend at Thunderbolt. First time at this track, second time ever on any track. Fun time! Ended up taking 2nd place in Limited AWD with RTA.

I have a ton of time left on the table at this track! Can't wait to get back!

Old Jul 5, 2013, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Been out of the loop for a while. Worked two weeks straight down in NJ doing some building moving/jacking up buildings that were damaged in the storm. Two weeks of living in a camper + 15=16 hour days of straight working out is brutal, haha.

Blew a tire on the way home, and Chevy (my buddies truck) has the worst spare tire setup in the history of automobiles; so that was an adventure.

Came right home, slept for 5 hours, picked up my car at Kaizen and headed straight to NHMS. Dropped it off Saturday, and headed back home to sleep. Sunday was nice and sunny - mid 80's - and we ran the south oval/north chicane setup. It was definitely different, and had we managed to run the south oval Monday, in TT, I would've set a new class record with a 1:11.3XX.

Sunday came and heavy rain was in the forecast, so the the track gave us two options - run the south oval config until it rains and get shut down, or switch to the chicane/chicane config and be able to run all day. We all decided it was safer to run chicane/chicane, so before the first sessions, the course workers changed the config. I love this config WAY better!

It stayed dry most of Sunday and I managed to best my previous time of 1:16.4XX with a 1:15.90X! This was the fastest time of the weekend!

TT came and it started to rain. Everyone was switching to rain slicks, and all I could do was rotate my NT01's...the fronts took a beating on Sunday, so I sent them to the rears. I also got to test out my Gruppe-S ACD flash (which is amazing btw). Set it to the Snow setting and, nerviously, went out. Needlessly to say, driving in the rain was my favorite session of the entire weekend. Had no time to practice in the rain before TT, so I stayed in my comfort zone while trying to lay down a good time. I managed to hold it together to run a 1:29.0XX which was good for the 4th fastest time in TT and 1st in my class!!

Open track was immediately after, and I jumped at the chance to finish off my gas and play in the rain. Alwaysinboost isn't lying when he says driving in the rain is the most fun EVAR! I'll upload some videos soon! AWD powerslides are f*cking so fun.

Old Jul 5, 2013, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

^^Editing a few videos from this last NHMS event right now!
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Some wet laps and AWD powaaaslides.

Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Personal best lap of the weekend.

Last edited by FilthyEvo; Jul 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

My cage is finally done. Abe, at Kaizen Tuning, did an amazing job. It looks so good that it makes the rest of the cage look like ****, LOL!

Abe also made me a new UICP with a new Tial QR. Car runs great, and sounds even better. The Tial was a nice upgrade from the crushed ORM
BOV.

I'm in the market for new tires. I'm tossing up the idea of going with the Hankook TD's. Tim, kidloco, has had great success with them. They're only a little more expensive than NT01's. I was also checking out the new Maxxis RC1. Read a few good reviews about them, but couldn't find anything about wear.

My next plan is to sell the Wedsport wheels to help fun two sets of RPF1's so
I can toss on a set of A6's for TT.

To add to the crazy plans - I'm look at some new body panels. I'm in desperate need of a new bumper, and the entire body kit is kind of rough, so I figured its time to change it up. Look at some Voltex rep pieces - track front bumper with splitter and canards, skirts, possibly new fenders/over fenders, JDM rear bumper and possibly voltex rep diffuser.

Once that is all ordered, I have to decide what I want to do about the wrap. My current wrap is beat to hell. Not sure if I want to keep the digital Camo. It's cool, but hard to see sponsor decals and hides (no pun intended) all the body lines of the car. If the company I'm chatting with doesn't hook it up with a good price, I may just end up dipping it.

Anyways, heading down to NJMP to run lightning this week! Can't wait!

Quick Reply: FilthyEvo's track car build/track day writeups