Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

evo 9 hillclimb build log

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Man that car looks fast!

They let you through tech inspection with those huge windshield cracks?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You were moving up that mountain! Sucks what had happened.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Pretty stoked about everything but the stupid start failure. I mean seriously, who's ever even heard of that being a thing?

The win for me is the SSB uprights and control arms getting pushed on Pikes Peak and working great. Hard to be the only person getting miles and events on some of these proto parts but Carl and team seem to have a huge amount of motivation to get the car faster and to events to push it.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Just read the whole thread, damn you guys really went all out with this car! Mine isn't even close to being this crazy but I'm hoping to try out hillclimbs next year or the year after. Kind of hard being in the midwest and it being so flat haha.

I'd also be curious to see what the car weighs in at. I'm at 2800lbs and change right now with a fully gutted interior, trimmed doors, lexan windows. If I could get weight under 2700lbs retaining factory sheet metal and gas tank that'd be ideal.

Also if I may make a recommendation. Earlier in the thread I saw you're still using the stock shifter assembly. I recently got a CAE shifter and it's night and day better than the stock shifter. It puts the knob closer to the steering wheel while keeping throws fairly short and it's extremely crisp. I don't want to come off like a sales pitch or anything, it's kinda pricey but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Aug 5, 2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Carl

I PMd you before Pike's Peek,
am still hoping you can find a moment to reply please.

You'll find the PM easily trending for my user-name.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 7, 2017, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Man that car looks fast!

They let you through tech inspection with those huge windshield cracks?
THanks for the kind words!

about the crack .... some dummy (me) left the hood unlatched at pikes coming down from a practice session and it flew up and cracked the windshield. we didnt ask and they never mentioned it.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Pretty stoked about everything but the stupid start failure. I mean seriously, who's ever even heard of that being a thing?

The win for me is the SSB uprights and control arms getting pushed on Pikes Peak and working great. Hard to be the only person getting miles and events on some of these proto parts but Carl and team seem to have a huge amount of motivation to get the car faster and to events to push it.
The front suspension is awesome! we have been tweaking the car more (as you know because i always bug you on race day lol). i'll post some more info from our race this weekend.

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Just read the whole thread, damn you guys really went all out with this car! Mine isn't even close to being this crazy but I'm hoping to try out hillclimbs next year or the year after. Kind of hard being in the midwest and it being so flat haha.

I'd also be curious to see what the car weighs in at. I'm at 2800lbs and change right now with a fully gutted interior, trimmed doors, lexan windows. If I could get weight under 2700lbs retaining factory sheet metal and gas tank that'd be ideal.

Also if I may make a recommendation. Earlier in the thread I saw you're still using the stock shifter assembly. I recently got a CAE shifter and it's night and day better than the stock shifter. It puts the knob closer to the steering wheel while keeping throws fairly short and it's extremely crisp. I don't want to come off like a sales pitch or anything, it's kinda pricey but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.
The car is always changing so much its hard to know the exact weight.

Right now it has a full sized battery, 4 gallon water spray system, a stand alone fire extinguisher and a separate fire suppression system, an extra cooling fan etc .... from pikes so its on the heavier side.

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Carl

I PMd you before Pike's Peek,
am still hoping you can find a moment to reply please.

You'll find the PM easily trending for my user-name.

Thanks in advance
replied to your PM. it was a blur the months leading up to pikes so my forum time was limited.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Aug 7, 2017)
Old Aug 7, 2017, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Man that takes some serious ***** to run on those cliff edges like that!
Watching the vid and I see "insert text here" I'm thinking wholly f#€£ batman this guy is crazy!
Very nice tho seriously loved it. Nice car!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
We were at Maryhill in Goldendale, WA last weekend. Carl reset the all time record he broke last year again and Bryant was the 3rd person to run under 2 min at Maryhill!

Center seat Lotus!

The following users liked this post:
NJ9MR (Aug 15, 2017)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Whats your tire and wheel specs? spacers?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kidloco51
Whats your tire and wheel specs? spacers?
weds tc105 18x10.5" et12
Old Aug 16, 2017, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Siluck2
We were at Maryhill in Goldendale, WA last weekend. Carl reset the all time record he broke last year again and Bryant was the 3rd person to run under 2 min at Maryhill!
And the event results are finally in. EvoBro Racing 1-2 finish!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

testing new image hosting website:

evo 9 hillclimb build log-crzj5u4.jpg
Old Sep 1, 2017, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

we had an opportunity to sell our wing so we picked up a swan neck.

Made a few options for mounts out of scrap galv.

This is the one bryant and phouvanh liked the best:
evo 9 hillclimb build log-77imgzh.jpg

revised overall shape and tweaked geometry:
evo 9 hillclimb build log-kp00v3c.jpg

ran it through FEA and found a couple overly robust points and a couple stress risers. thinned the top up and tweaked the neck part to lower the von Mises:

evo 9 hillclimb build log-noscnys.jpg

ended up with a 2.2 FOS at 800lbs vertical loading. may downforce is 1650lbs at 160mph. i would image the highest loads we'd ever see would be 1000lbs.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

got the car down to UMC (formerly Miller Motorsports). we were excited to get a chance to tune the cars handling in as there is not a lot of opportunity for that at hillclimbs.

since we are both new to the UMC/NASA scene we had to spend a few days getting checked out of the various HDPE classes and finally got bumped to TT. next month we will be able to get a timer on the car and get some quantifiable data.

evo 9 hillclimb build log-iwwzfrh.jpg

bryant heading out on track:
evo 9 hillclimb build log-t6fb3sz.jpg

after a long day of driving we gave it a once-over. between both drivers the car had 140 minutes of on-track time and went through over 30 gallons of e85.

evo 9 hillclimb build log-yt7nqhd.jpg

evo 9 hillclimb build log-g5y3y9t.jpg

here is some feedback on the car setup:

TRE drivetrain - working flawlessly. 500HP and doesnt skip a beat. Rear end helps the car rotate. shifts are smooth!

Fortune Auto Dreadnaught pro 2-way - this setup has been great. Being our 2nd set we they came dialed in from FA. we went to a slightly softer spring rate given the new valving adjustment range. On the bumpy hills we can soften the car up to make it more forgiving - then we come to fairly smooth track like UMC and we can stiffen it up for flatter cornering.

SSB Front end (dallas) - we've had these for the whole season. at the hills they've been handling well but i've been trying to get my head around how to optimize them. Dallas has always said to run less bar upfront - more rear bar / stiffen the rear end. As im sure i've mentioned before we like to run a slightly tight setup for the hills as a safety measure. finally having track time we really focused on making the car more neutral. over the course of 7-8 sessions we kept running more and more rear bar. then more rear compression. finally softened the front a bit and it kept getting better and better. In the past we have ran -4.5 to -5 deg camber in the front in an attempt to save the outer edges of the front tires. Per Dallas's advise we dropped to -3 (ish). while we has a slight amount of wear on the outer edge it is AMAZING how much more evenly they are wearing ... with less camber.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Awesome! Glad you tried dropping the front bar and increasing that rear bias. Its hard to say with the aero you guys have but sounds like you're feeling the same things I have.

Loving the amount of track and hill time you guys are getting this year. How are your brakes holding up to the track duties? We havent notched your uprights for ducting yet have we?

Quick Reply: evo 9 hillclimb build log