Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 STU Discussion!

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 07:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by laloosh
I had Strano come up to me and give me some advice as I guess he read the sandbox thread and he said to rev it up, hold it (don't bounce it) and drop the clutch, the wheel spin will get you out the hole. I think Sam was under the impression that an STU X has enough power off boost spin the tires.....it doesnt lol.
Old May 26, 2017, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Slight typo. I meant to say I believe Sam was under the impression that the EVO X in STU trim has enough power to spin the tires out the hole while launching without building boost. My personal experience is that it does not. Off the 2 step and 7-8psi, yea it will spin enough to get out of the dead zone. Once you land sub 3200-3500 it's game over in the X power wise. I was lucky to get a chirp out of them before a dead hook and bog.
Old May 26, 2017, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Slight typo. I meant to say I believe Sam was under the impression that the EVO X in STU trim has enough power to spin the tires out the hole while launching without building boost. My personal experience is that it does not. Off the 2 step and 7-8psi, yea it will spin enough to get out of the dead zone. Once you land sub 3200-3500 it's game over in the X power wise. I was lucky to get a chirp out of them before a dead hook and bog.
Sounds like 6 speed is a bit stronger for hard off the line starts, since I can spin tires without trying too hard in my car....
Now, if we could do something about the reaction time...
Old May 26, 2017, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
Sounds like 6 speed is a bit stronger for hard off the line starts, since I can spin tires without trying too hard in my car....
Now, if we could do something about the reaction time...
I wouldn't go that far, the limitation here is not the gearing, its the clutch . 2 step, and it will go 1.7s-1.8s.....once....if im lucky.
Old May 26, 2017, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't go that far, the limitation here is not the gearing, its the clutch . 2 step, and it will go 1.7s-1.8s.....once....if im lucky.
That is what I am saying as well...with clutch that 6 speed has it is easier to do it...and you can do it again and again...until $8k bill!
Old May 26, 2017, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
well, rise of the nexen?

http://sololive.scca.com/STU.php
Old May 26, 2017, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Good to see them starting to catch on

Fairly generous payouts in contingency don't hurt either, since Bridgestone doesn't pay for Pros
Old May 26, 2017, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I really wanted to try the Nexen over the RE71R and couldn't get any feedback from people if it was good or not but those results don't lie. That's downright impressive. If they keep showing great results I will try them next.
Old May 26, 2017, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
I really wanted to try the Nexen over the RE71R and couldn't get any feedback from people if it was good or not but those results don't lie. That's downright impressive. If they keep showing great results I will try them next.
I am also just about the get a new set and these Nexens are pretty high up there...
Old May 26, 2017, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
I am also just about the get a new set and these Nexens are pretty high up there...
What I would like to know is what is the optimal heat range and how fast they warm up. If it's like the RE71R or RS4 or Rival it would be totally worth a try.
Old May 27, 2017, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
What I would like to know is what is the optimal heat range and how fast they warm up. If it's like the RE71R or RS4 or Rival it would be totally worth a try.
Not sure what you meant by saying this, since there is some difference between those you mentioned up there....RE71s warm up way quicker than Rivals. On a colder day, that difference is quite significant! RS2 and RS3 used to take a while and were probably the best at handling high temps, but I don't know were RS4s fit in there yet.
Old May 27, 2017, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, I'm not buying the hype just yet. This is Bryan we are talking about here. He can probably win driving on gummy bears stuck together with duct tape.

Another event in the books, another class win in STU. We were promised a high speed fast course at Pocono Raceway....and were lied to. Really bad visuals, really tight and painful. I should have stayed home. I did however experience drifting and linking turns today lol. It was my last run and once it let go I essentially said F it, let me see if I can hold this

Pendulum

**** Run that was my quickest lol

Last edited by laloosh; May 27, 2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, the course sucked today. Nice to see that you can still go full Laprus. LOL
Old May 28, 2017, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Yea, I'm not buying the hype just yet. This is Bryan we are talking about here. He can probably win driving on gummy bears stuck together with duct tape.
That was probably the thought after the Fontana Pro, when Bryan was the only person on the SUR4Gs - since then there's been several other drivers who've been successful on them. Personally, I really like that they are more forgiving when driving with slip angle than the RE71R - it feels like a good mix between the RE71R and the Rival S. I was originally skeptical about them for a variety of reasons (somewhat of an offbrand, they had never made a competitive auto-x street tire, etc.), but talking with Bryan about their characteristics convinced me to try a set. Just my 2 cents
Old May 31, 2017, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Didn't get a chance to take it apart yet due to time constraints. Simply took the shock off and zapped the top nut with the gun to make sure it was tight. Kids started screaming so I didn't get a chance to take the top plate off but everything felt solid. The spring was loaded so I couldn't really feel any play. I ordered up new top plate guts from JRZ and I'll swap the spacers/bearings however I wanted to see if some you guys might have other ideas of what to check.

Noise only happens during slow speeds where the suspension is too stiff to move all that much. Autox/highway top stuff you can't hear it.

Quick Reply: 2017 STU Discussion!