Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 STU Discussion!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Interesting thought there, I agree there is technically no diffs in the FoRS. I thought the Evo was at least good to go for properly stacking the rear diff already?
the rwd guys in the SB are saying the RDU is, but like you I disagree - it's literally the opposite of a LSD.

Evo is decent with restacking the plates, but way way better with an actual aftermarket.

that said, this is as much about updating this outdated language as it is helping evos. more and more cars are going to come out with more and more complex systems, the language just doesn't make sense at this point. what AWD car has all open diffs?? what AWD car benefits from that rule? it seems like the lean at this point would just be to remove that bit of language and force awd cars to have standard diffs only, but damn. they hate awd cars.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally event #2 for me. The car however changed a ton since event #1.

Changes from Event 1:
New 265/35/18 Stones (Super Sketchy) 29f/28r hot
JRZ 2way Coilovers Everything in the middle for a baseline
Solostorm

Ran with Philly. Big turnout, ended up 14/173 in PAX. 2nd in class by .02X

Run 1: Passenger, looped it, *** all over the place.
Run 2: Passenger, Crossed up beyond belief
Run 3: Passenger, Lost a gate cone in my A-pillar, workers ran for their lives lol
Run 4: Solo, Got crossed up (data shows I lost a little over 4 tenths to the top Pax guy in that one spot.

After really analyzing the data and comparing it to others.....This is car SHOCKINGLY good IMO. It's underprepped and still keeps up. Very excited for next week

Needed to settle the *** down a bunch, however I didn't mess with anything cause I don't traditionally run transition courses like this, at a more traditional course I believe the current setup will work great.

Bloopers:

"Fast Run"
Old Apr 25, 2017, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job, Chris.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

loosey goosey - I bet that will be perfect on Lincoln concrete too.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Yep the car was Sketchy as all heck. I'm blaming it mostly on the bran new tires. My car placement was good, I just didn't have the confidence to push it like I usually do. We only had 4 runs due to the big turn out and after 3 runs (all messed up/crossed up/outta control) I needed to settle it down and get a decent run in there. If it wasn't for that cross-up the car would have be flirting with PAX among some heavy national hitters. We will see how it does on a more traditional course this weekend. Ultimately I am just trying to get it read for the NJ PRO
Old Apr 28, 2017, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Need some insight on clutch replacements and the rules. So I did 3 practice launches yesterday just to see where this thing stands. (Getting ready for the NJ PRO)

With that said. Launch one, kind of bouncing the rpms around 5k manually, slip it quick, takes off, bites....great. No smell, no slip, slight spin from the front the tires. Probably a 1.9-2.0 60' from my previous drag racing days.

Launch 2: 6k 2-step, drop it/slip it, car takes off and RPMS stay around 5500 rpm while my foot is on the floor and the car accelerates. No wheel spin, clutch smell like crazy Probably a 1.8-1.9 60'

Launch 3: Back to the first attempt, car takes off, no slipping, no spin....clutch smell like crazy. Probably a 2.0ish

At this point there is noway the car will survive the PRO on the 2 step and I'm having doubts it will survive the "gentler" way either.

What is out there that is legal as a replacement? Am I stuck with OEM? Also I am assuming we are not allowed to remove that stupid clutch line pill?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

one of the dumbest rules in st imo
Old Apr 28, 2017, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Couldn't agree more on this with you!!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 07:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
So much this. Could just make it something along the lines of must be same configuration as stock (no multiplate or changing to pushtype). The clutch rule is the absolute only reason I just skipped STU when I bought the evo and went straight to ASP.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Plus one on that man!!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 09:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Use an OEM pressure plate and replace the disk with ceramic disk like the comp stage 3.5. Who's going to know?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Use an OEM pressure plate and replace the disk with ceramic disk like the comp stage 3.5. Who's going to know?
Tear downs are not that rare at larger events (especially Nationals), so it can be exposed and I don't know many guys who would like to go through something like that for what we do with cones.

But, your point is exactly something that should be allowed for classes like STx. All of those cars have altered performance and they are making more power/torque than the stock counterparts. Once engine output is increased most have to deal with the clutch issue. Requirement to put the same one back in, when you know it is not going to last much at all, just doesn't make sense.

If they would allow the same clutch type, but higher pressure plate pressure and any kind of disk in there, things would be much easier to live by every day.

I know that some people point out that this is a slippery slope and once you give them this they will ask for the next thing in the chain (like axles, and so on), but axles will not break unless you are abusive to them. Drive normally and you will be fine, while some of the stock clutches are not capable of handling extra 30% or so of power even on the highway in the 6th gear. Oh well....sorry for this rant...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
Tear downs are not that rare at larger events (especially Nationals), so it can be exposed and I don't know many guys who would like to go through something like that for what we do with cones.

But, your point is exactly something that should be allowed for classes like STx. All of those cars have altered performance and they are making more power/torque than the stock counterparts. Once engine output is increased most have to deal with the clutch issue. Requirement to put the same one back in, when you know it is not going to last much at all, just doesn't make sense.

If they would allow the same clutch type, but higher pressure plate pressure and any kind of disk in there, things would be much easier to live by every day.

I know that some people point out that this is a slippery slope and once you give them this they will ask for the next thing in the chain (like axles, and so on), but axles will not break unless you are abusive to them. Drive normally and you will be fine, while some of the stock clutches are not capable of handling extra 30% or so of power even on the highway in the 6th gear. Oh well....sorry for this rant...

Yeah, it seems silly that, especially on the turbo cars, in the class mods are allowed for a decent power increase, but they won't allow a simple (and really pretty standard) clutch upgrade for reliability. You don't even need a pressure plate upgrade, just being allowed to change the disk would be more than enough.

As far as slippery slope, I don't think axles are a concern with any of the cars in the class at the power levels that achievable. What's an ST evo, 300-330whp? Never going to hurt an axle with that...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 02:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by laloosh
With that said. Launch one, kind of bouncing the rpms around 5k manually, slip it quick, takes off, bites....great. No smell, no slip, slight spin from the front the tires. Probably a 1.9-2.0 60' from my previous drag racing days.

Launch 2: 6k 2-step, drop it/slip it, car takes off and RPMS stay around 5500 rpm while my foot is on the floor and the car accelerates. No wheel spin, clutch smell like crazy Probably a 1.8-1.9 60'
Sounds like you did it right the first time and less right the second time?

I don't know what the OEM 2 step is on an X, but you're allowed to change it to suit your needs, the surface, etc.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Alot of the top players showed up today to battle it out. Nobody in STU so I was stuck playing the pax game. Car felt GREAT. Course was very fast and long and required a ton of setup on many sections. Ended up 18th in pax out of 134 which doesn't sound great...until you look at who actually showed up lol.

1 30 PSM Daniel Stainback
2 92 PAS Evan Schickel
3 86 SS G.J. Dixon
4 127 PAS Mark Daddio
5 113 PSS Perry Aidelbaum
6 13 PSS Adil Abdulali
7 97 PSSM Jake Namer
8 192 PAS Mark Labbancz
9 37 PSTX James Tatad
10 63 SS Ed Wong
11 186 PSSR Jeff Hurst
12 178 PSS Brian Conners
13 129 PSTR Hezron Laluces
14 76 PAS David Corsaro
15 1 SSR Jon Caserta
16 86 PSSR Joshua Lipman
17 89 PSS Corey Ridgick
18 104 PSTU Christopher Laprus

Pretty sure half of that field won a class a nationals at least once and the other half trophied or came damn close.

We had 6 runs and I just couldnt keep it clean. I was dirty on the first 5 and needed to back off the cones on the final run to get something decent on the board. Data shows the car had another 3/4 second in it, however I couldn't do it all on one run...or clean lol.

No clutch issues, no launching either. Looks like Ill be in bump for the NJPRO so that's going suck major ***** with the hard STU pax

Quick Reply: 2017 STU Discussion!