Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 SCCA Solo ASP Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 09:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I had the Wavetrac front diff and just recently swapped it out for Mfactory set to 1way and 60% lockup (set with plate stack). Wavetrac is 1.5way so causes some binding with heavy engine braking and high steering angle. Which exactly when you are trying to lift and get the front to tuck in. I fought the lift turn-in for a few years before being enlightened to the likely cause.

Wavetrac is fine though, basically works like stock but much stronger. Great on track where steering angles and engine braking are much less.

Interesting...the car is only used for autox. So it sounds like the Wavetrac will cause some problems. Does yours have ACD?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
as I understand it, 1 way in the front is just better for our applications
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoojan
Interesting...the car is only used for autox. So it sounds like the Wavetrac will cause some problems. Does yours have ACD?
Yep. Ive run it with Stock, disabled, ACD Tuning, and now ER tuning. Nothing helped the lift turn-in on the ACD when the front diff is causing it.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Yep. Ive run it with Stock, disabled, ACD Tuning, and now ER tuning. Nothing helped the lift turn-in on the ACD when the front diff is causing it.
good to know. my diff is a 1.5way, but very aggressive, and used to have some binding issues on turn in, largely due to the diff. after my ER ACD tune, which I'm assuming they set up so the center is completely open on turn in/off throttle, I can get massive rotation and yaw. rear diff fixed power understeer, ACD tune fixed turn in understeer. interesting that with a wavetrac it will bind as well.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:58 AM
EvoM Guru

To be clear, I'm not talking about turn entry. I'm talking about when you need line correction or you have decreasing radius, or just in general need to lift turn. Goal isn't to try and unstick the rear at that point but to have the front bite.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

To be clear, I'm not talking about turn entry. I'm talking about when you need line correction or you have decreasing radius, or just in general need to lift turn. Goal isn't to try and unstick the rear at that point but to have the front bite.
interesting. is the 1way though a big improvement over the stock helical? worth the hassle?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:43 PM
EvoM Guru

If you want something just strong and reliable, the Wavetrac is great. But it was one of those things when I put it in I could really tell. If it was negligible or worse, I would have just swapped back to the Wavetrac cause it was a known constant.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JJwins
I coulda sworn I've read that having different offsets front to back on the X screws with the AWD system. Myth?
Stop drinking that cool aid. Santi and I have already told you that offset doesn't matter.

Last edited by white_turbo; Feb 2, 2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
There is a weight reduction thread hiding over in the electrical/audio/security (???) forum that has a lot of info, even if most of it doesn't apply to ASP it's a good read. The big hitters for us were the seats (NRG carbon...super cheap and light), cat back exhaust (greddy Ti, weighs like 8 lbs total compared to like 50 lbs stock), and the A/C (30 lbs).
Thanks. Will look into the seats, not quite ready to lose the a/c yet. The greddy ti js awesome. Too bad they discontinued that. Tomei is the only option these days.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RJones
I seem to recall the windows not being worth the effort because once you add the weight of the cranking mechanism, the difference is negligible. Someone else might have some hard data though.
Good to know. Will see if I can find this info somewhere.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 06:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by white_turbo
stop drinking that cool aid. Santi and i have already told you that offset doesn't matter.

lmfao!!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 06:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Couple other questions. Can the rear wiper be romoved along with the washer tank? Is the Evo Dave fender mod legal? And is this front lip legal?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoojan
Couple other questions. Can the rear wiper be romoved along with the washer tank? Is the Evo Dave fender mod legal? And is this front lip legal?
I hope a replacement front lip wouldn't get you booted seeing the OEM ones are not easy to find. I'm getting my front lip installed today and never thought it could be an issue. I don't have the OEM lip but got an eBay polyurethane version seeing it's storonger and it will take a few cones.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Replacement lips, IIRC, are not ASP legal. Reason being you can get pretty liberal with the rules and it becoming a splitter if it was. Geoff Clark just had a missing lip after his broke because he couldn't use an Ebay replacement.

Also, washer tank and wipers must remain and functional in ASP. Need to go to SM to remove. Also, it was explained to me that it technically needs to be a proper level based on the min/max markings. All those rules exist just because things become a slippery slope.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
I would say replacement lips are legal if they are the same shape as stock. the one pictured is not legal because of the extra splitter area poking out.

you can update/backdate to the RS rear window which has no rear wiper but technically you can't just remove the wiper assembly. now whether someone would protest you for just removing the rear wiper but not changing the glass...i dunno. I wouldn't protest but that is just me.

cannot remove the washer tank. it does not have to be full of water and can be completely empty. (Dallas, there is no minimum markings on the washer tank)

evo dave fender mod is another one of the technically not legal things but would be a weenie protest. you're allowed to modify the fenders for tire clearance but you're limited to things that are outboard of the hub face. the fender mounts that gets extended in the evo dave mod are inboard of the hub face.

Quick Reply: 2017 SCCA Solo ASP Discussion