Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Curb weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 08:24 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Meathooker
That's good for around 15bs/door.
Wow. Cutting up my rears tomorrow. LOL
Old Feb 15, 2017, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
This is my se with auto power race bar, full exhaust, mini battery, coilivers and some other bits. Believe I had a buddy club seat on the passenger side and one drivers seat that day, full a/c too. Guessing I'm about 3150 now. Nothing special unfortunately.

Kaj - I literally just finished a very simple oil cooler install where the a/c fan used to live. I'll send you pics.
Attached Thumbnails Curb weight reduction-img_2606.jpg  
Old Feb 15, 2017, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Greddy fmic and plazmaman fmic are way lighter than ETS,etc...
Do you have any other info on either of these units? This is something that I've wanted to look into for a few years now. Adding an extra 10# on the nose of the car is just plain horrible.

I've contemplated going back to the OEM unit but Im afraid Ill heat soak it fairly quickly ~30# on BBK Full on e85.

I was just poking around on Plazmaman's website and they do indeed look nice but with shipping from Australia I can see the cost getting close to if not more than $1000.

Id imagine the Greddy is more readily available but its not something that I've read too much about so Im not sure how they compare. Regardless I think my next intercooler with be tube and fin vs bar and plate and unfortunately it seems most of those are $$$ either bc they are just really nice units or they have the bling factor or both aka ARC HKS etc etc
Old Feb 15, 2017, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Do you have any other info on either of these units? This is something that I've wanted to look into for a few years now. Adding an extra 10# on the nose of the car is just plain horrible.

I've contemplated going back to the OEM unit but Im afraid Ill heat soak it fairly quickly ~30# on BBK Full on e85.

I was just poking around on Plazmaman's website and they do indeed look nice but with shipping from Australia I can see the cost getting close to if not more than $1000.

Id imagine the Greddy is more readily available but its not something that I've read too much about so Im not sure how they compare. Regardless I think my next intercooler with be tube and fin vs bar and plate and unfortunately it seems most of those are $$$ either bc they are just really nice units or they have the bling factor or both aka ARC HKS etc etc
I actually went from AMS to OEM because of the weight. not much heak soak for autocross anyway, with 5-10 minute cooldowns between every run. stock turbo though so I doubt I'm really straining much
Old Feb 15, 2017, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

How many pounds are you running on your stock turbo? 25# on a stock turbo probably blows hotter air than 25# on a BBK. However there is a larger volume of air so I dont know how to take that info account, lol. Regardless, I dont think going back to OEM in my case would be wise but I think there could be some benefits to a smaller unit than what I currently have, in my case the 3.5" Perrin.

I have the heaviest of the bunch SSL here and Im down to about 3170, which quite frankly blows. I get on these weight loss kicks and am all motivated to start dropping the lbs and then I realize, I've done the easy stuff so Im at a crossroads where its either spend big bucks on fancy CF or billet stuff or bust out the cutoff wheel and hack the car up.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
I'm only running 21psi. car's pretty much full everything, weighs like 3200 even
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Some of you guys dont seem to be going for the low hanging fruit like AC, blower motor, heater core, sound system, sound deadening, airbags etc.

I get the street car/track car concept but at some point sacrifices must be made

2pc rotors and ohlins are also good weight savings
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:41 AM
kaj

I run 26psi and taper to 24psi on a Green. I also have thought about going back to my OEM FMIC.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
So Robert from ETS came back and explained that while tube/fin are lighter they are indeed less efficient and they aren't interested in doing one. Anyone have a better in with them to explain what we're after?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I don't think there is a big enough market to warrant R&D and production of an IC like that.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:35 PM
EvoM Guru

HKS, ARC, Plazmaman, Greddy. Some easier to get than others. But besides being tube and fin, they are rated/optioned for diff power targets.

There seems to be 0 market for stock turbo/300-400 whp applications lol.

EDIT: The greddy seems promising for stock turbo

Last edited by V.8MR; Feb 15, 2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Some of you guys dont seem to be going for the low hanging fruit like AC, blower motor, heater core, sound system, sound deadening, airbags etc.

I get the street car/track car concept but at some point sacrifices must be made

If you pull your heater core how do you defrost your windshield? I think I know the answer but personally race car or not I've done plenty of wet auto-x's where I needed heat. Drag car sure get rid of it but if you plan to race in a multiple season climate that seems like a bad idea IMO. I know people it; just seems like it limits you severely...

mmmm 2 piece rotors do want but have never been able to justify the costs. Wish the replacement discs were around the same price as a set of 1 piece rotors then I could do it.

I've thought about them many times over and feel like I'd go CF driveshaft before 2 piece rotors. Similar weight savings but one is more permanent so to speak. Speaking of which that is something I've been reading up on recently. Anyone here been running a CF driveshaft and if so which one and what is your feedback? The 1 piece is tempting from a weight savings perspective but a 2 piece still offers at least 10# off the top of my head and should bolt right in.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I don't think there is a big enough market to warrant R&D and production of an IC like that.
I get that but how hard would it be for them to utilize their current end tanks welded to a tube and fin core? Sure they won't be able to support the 650+HP that a lot of these cores currently support however I'd imagine the folks like us that are after the 10# weight savings on the nose of the car arent making crazy power like that anyway.

HKS, ARC, Plazmaman, Greddy. Some easier to get than others. But besides being tube and fin, they are rated/optioned for diff power targets.

There seems to be 0 market for stock turbo/300-400 whp applications lol.

EDIT: The greddy seems promising for stock turbo
Agreed. Which Greddy unit are you looking at?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 01:13 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21

Kaj - I literally just finished a very simple oil cooler install where the a/c fan used to live. I'll send you pics.
Yes! I'd appreciate that. I wouldn't suppose you logged part numbers? Or am I the only one? haha.

1. I MUST have a defroster. I sometimes drive to the track and it's a necessity.
2. I am contemplating an A/C delete, if the 818c does not use it. If that's the case, I will pull mine and go all-out on weight loss, then keep the Evo (I've been contemplating a sale, then going 818). However, when doing AX in the summer, it's really, really, really nice to have A/C in the 100*+ heat.
3. I need a radio for the long trips. I have a deck and two, front speakers. Just enough to get me by
4. Air bags are staying due to driving to the track, as mentioned above. Driving there with a helmet, HANS, and my harnesses doesn't sound too fun LOL
5. Sound deadening: gone.
6. Two-piece rotors: I agree with above. At $700 per set front and more rear (last I checked), that ain't cheap. and the replacement rotors are expensive. That's a tough sell. For as little as I drive the car, I think I'd be okay with them. I wouldn't need the rotors very often. They are down a bit on my must-have list.. but definitely on there, along with a drive shaft, Mustache bar delete, and (when I get my next tax return) tubular K member.

If I ever get to where I can trailer the car? Psh.. It's on like Donkey Kong.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe

Agreed. Which Greddy unit are you looking at?
Looks like the following would be ideal for my intentions. Having a hard time getting any good data on it from my 10mins of searching so far...

GReddy LS Spec Intercooler Stock Turbo 24 Core 280x600x76mm - Evo 8/9
Old Feb 15, 2017, 01:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Oh yeah, didn't mention all that cause it seemed standard fare when talking about weight reduction. I have AC gone including bits under the dash, all the interior sound deadening but still the engine side pad, no stereo bits, etc.. Heater must remain in AX and couldn't pull that being PNW anyways. Def need defrost here.

Quick Reply: Curb weight reduction