Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Curb weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 09:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Wow I totally forgot about blitz. Should make a nice core coupled with ETS Ti short route piping.

Thanks for the tip!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Far as ACD yes, ya one of ya'll do a write up already like a how-to so we know whats involved and can execute it with some flexibility. Or those of you with all these CNC machines need to fab a bracket lol.

The blitz looks interesting, we'd still want to see the weight though if either of you have your fronts off.

Seat wise i've been using a Recaro HANS xl for years. Exhaust wise I trashed the STM alum one so I have their new SS catback for the new build. I may end up making a muffler delete piece for the back later.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll weight everything as I put the car together. Loved my blitz. It broke in the accident but it's repairable. Already bought a new one for the new build. Evasive can get you one.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Far as ACD yes, ya one of ya'll do a write up already like a how-to so we know whats involved and can execute it with some flexibility. Or those of you with all these CNC machines need to fab a bracket lol.

The blitz looks interesting, we'd still want to see the weight though if either of you have your fronts off.

Seat wise i've been using a Recaro HANS xl for years. Exhaust wise I trashed the STM alum one so I have their new SS catback for the new build. I may end up making a muffler delete piece for the back later.
you don't need a special bracket. You just modify the stock one a little bit.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 02:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
For those of you who think about this whole weight reduction thing, is there something in the engine bay that isn't available but definitely needs a lighter version made? Like, is the PS or Alternator bracket exceptionally heavy?

Looking for new things to make lighter/better/stronger and this is probably the crowd that has ideas about it.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 03:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The PS brakect is already aluminum and light. You could make the motor mount bracket that bolts to the block (the ones with three studs) out of aluminum, as well as the timing belt tensioner arm. A billet block.... lolz
Old Feb 16, 2017, 04:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Oh yeah, Been meaning to try and come up with something for that rear motor mount. Just getting to it is such a pain in the butt.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 05:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Oh yeah, Been meaning to try and come up with something for that rear motor mount. Just getting to it is such a pain in the butt.
and it remains a pain in the butt, if you stiffen that one.

03whitegsr has a good details of his acd relocation..I think it's his tin can build.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Ours is off of the car now
Old Feb 16, 2017, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
We mounted ours to the rear wing braces

Name:  FC18EA55-279F-4AD5-9BEE-B2BC49890EA4_zpsitrmmvqx.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  201.6 KB
Old Feb 16, 2017, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Arggg you suck, lol! Did you have a local shop make your AL exhaust? I see STM sells one but Im concerned about durability of it if the car is street driven. My car should no longer be my dd in the next couple months so things like that exhaust and AC would be a simple way to drop like 50# I'd think. Even still my car is such a pig but sorta is what it is. Sunroof adds a ton of weight as does the full interior radio etc etc. I've done a few easy things like spare tire long gone 5# battery a few random brackets gone coilovers etc. But all in all Im only down about 100# over stock.

I had a local shop make it when I got the car back in 09. The only issue that I had with it is a weld cracked on a hanger. Other than that its be very reliable.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 08:30 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Every post I see regarding an AL exhaust is about them cracking. Doesn't seem like a viable option, unless it just SEEMS like it happens a lot?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

I tried to go for a more factory look with mine. Always intended to do a cleaner bracket for the reservoir but never got around to it.

Name:  image_zpsbhmqfe0q.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  161.0 KB

Last edited by Shiroi Kitsune; Feb 17, 2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 08:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Did anyone mention the front strut bar? Stock one is super heavy compared to the titanium ones out there. Another potential major source of weight is the FMIC. If you go overboard on that, you are adding a ton of extra weight. I think between my 4" bar/plate FMIC and my extra thick PWR radiator, I may have negated all of the weight loss from a mini-battery, Ti strut bar and A/C delete. Wish I knew a place to weigh my car. I have no idea what it weighs.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 09:10 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Did anyone mention the front strut bar? Stock one is super heavy compared to the titanium ones out there. Another potential major source of weight is the FMIC. If you go overboard on that, you are adding a ton of extra weight. I think between my 4" bar/plate FMIC and my extra thick PWR radiator, I may have negated all of the weight loss from a mini-battery, Ti strut bar and A/C delete. Wish I knew a place to weigh my car. I have no idea what it weighs.
I added fender braces, so deleted the strut tower brace. Probably gained some weight, there.
I weigh mine at the recycling plant. hehe.

Quick Reply: Curb weight reduction