Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Curb weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
defroster solution

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Safety-Ra...oster-Kit.html

have one on my honda challenge car
Old Feb 15, 2017, 04:23 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
defroster solution

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Safety-Ra...oster-Kit.html

have one on my honda challenge car

Any installation pictures?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm cheating a little due to having an RS, but I am at 2850 with full interior, minus rear speakers and belts. A/c delete helped a lot along with aluminum exhaust and IC piping. I've done most of the bolt on weight reductions, but haven't ventured into cutting anything up yet.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:30 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by XcreatonX
I'm cheating a little due to having an RS, but I am at 2850 with full interior, minus rear speakers and belts. A/c delete helped a lot along with aluminum exhaust and IC piping. I've done most of the bolt on weight reductions, but haven't ventured into cutting anything up yet.
that would be about 2950 for a non-RS. I'd still be stoked to be there.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Kaj I'm after a similar goal of 2700lbsin street class trim in an MR SE so I'll let you know how it goes. I've also done the ACD relocation and will be redoing it on the new car so I'll detail it. Pretty straightforward just lots of work.

As as far as the intercooler, I guess I'll let everyone in on my secret. Blitz SE. Tube and fin, super light. Butt dyno tells me HP was gained, my only confirmation was my injector duty cycle jumped like 8%. Nice bonus since I only got it to help with heat soak (I live in Florida) which it definitely did. It's also dirt cheap for what it is. Like $600 shipped.

BTW does anyone know if the Robi Spec hood and trunk are still available? I'm dying to drop nose weight and the stock hood is hard to beat.
The following users liked this post:
Balrok (Feb 16, 2017)
Old Feb 16, 2017, 05:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiroi Kitsune
As as far as the intercooler, I guess I'll let everyone in on my secret. Blitz SE. Tube and fin, super light. Butt dyno tells me HP was gained,
Damn right.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Kaj I'm after a similar goal of 2700lbsin street class trim in an MR SE so I'll let you know how it goes. I've also done the ACD relocation and will be redoing it on the new car so I'll detail it. Pretty straightforward just lots of work.

As as far as the intercooler, I guess I'll let everyone in on my secret. Blitz SE. Tube and fin, super light. Butt dyno tells me HP was gained, my only confirmation was my injector duty cycle jumped like 8%. Nice bonus since I only got it to help with heat soak (I live in Florida) which it definitely did. It's also dirt cheap for what it is. Like $600 shipped.

BTW does anyone know if the Robi Spec hood and trunk are still available? I'm dying to drop nose weight and the stock hood is hard to beat.
Ya be sure to post up the ACD, struggling to find it in detail.

Far as robi anything those were all through fiber images if they're still around.

So do one of ya'll have the weight diff's of the Blitz vs X?

Last edited by Balrok; Feb 16, 2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by XcreatonX
Arggg you suck, lol! Did you have a local shop make your AL exhaust? I see STM sells one but Im concerned about durability of it if the car is street driven. My car should no longer be my dd in the next couple months so things like that exhaust and AC would be a simple way to drop like 50# I'd think. Even still my car is such a pig but sorta is what it is. Sunroof adds a ton of weight as does the full interior radio etc etc. I've done a few easy things like spare tire long gone 5# battery a few random brackets gone coilovers etc. But all in all Im only down about 100# over stock.

I've read about the Blitz unit as well so happy to hear any feedback you have on it. How thick is the core? What kind of power are you making on your car? Happy to see you live in FL so should be able to put it through the paces in a warmer climate. It is dirt cheap as well which after selling my current intercooler it should be close to a wash. I hate the bolt on brackets however so those will have to be welded on. How was fitment? And what intercooler pipes do you have with it?

AFAIK Robi is out of business as I've seen a few posts recently where he hasnt gotten back to people. Its a shame as I'd love a hood and trunk...
Originally Posted by Balrok
Ya be sure to post up the ACD, struggling to find it in detail.
What kind of info do you want on the relocation? I did mine this past spring and took a good amount of pics. I said I was going to do a writeup but have not got around to it. The concept is simple but if you have any specific questions or want some photos ask away and Ill see what I can do to assist
Old Feb 16, 2017, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Also, one thing I forgot to mention and Im sure most of you in here have already addressed this is seats. I'd love a fixed back seat with more side bolstering and imagine there is prob some decent weight to be dropped with those as well. Ill have to do some research but off the top of my head I recall the stock recaros with rails in the 40# range so racing seats around 20# doesnt seem unreasonable adds additional support and I could offset the cost by selling the stock seats.

And on a different note what exhaust systems are you guys running? I'd like to replace my catback with something that is lighter if possible but my concern is that most of the lightweight systems are very loud and given that my car is already pretty loud Im not sure I want that. Can I have my cake and eat it too or does something have to give?

Last edited by heel2toe; Feb 16, 2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 08:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I have a corbeau fx1 seat (I think that's what I have). Not FIA certified because autox... With the harness and side mount brackets to fixed base it weights like 1-2lbs lighter than stock. My harness is really heavy and pretty annoying so going back to stock seatbelt with just the benefit of bolster to improve over stock.

Moving to a fixed bottom mounting bracket would most certainly save a few more pounds but I don't see getting down to the sub 30lb range after all is said and done.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

WTF I thought a bunch of racing seats were like 20#!? I take it the brackets add weight pretty quickly?

I have the BR quick release harness bar and Schrothe harnesses, forget the specific model and yeah it adds some weight no doubt but its far better than using just the CG lock so its a sacrifice Im willing to make.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
And on a different note what exhaust systems are you guys running? I'd like to replace my catback with something that is lighter if possible but my concern is that most of the lightweight systems are very loud and given that my car is already pretty loud Im not sure I want that. Can I have my cake and eat it too or does something have to give?
Relatively easy to build a lightweight cat back, especially if I can do it. I thought my Cobb axle back was heavy, but turns out all the packing is dead so I only saved 6 pounds. It was more to fit a diffuser anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Curb weight reduction-img_3138.jpg  
Old Feb 16, 2017, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I have a corbeau fx1 seat (I think that's what I have). Not FIA certified because autox... With the harness and side mount brackets to fixed base it weights like 1-2lbs lighter than stock. My harness is really heavy and pretty annoying so going back to stock seatbelt with just the benefit of bolster to improve over stock.

Moving to a fixed bottom mounting bracket would most certainly save a few more pounds but I don't see getting down to the sub 30lb range after all is said and done.
I'm running the NRG carbon bucket (it's non-FIA but that doesn't matter for autox). I weighed it at 21.3lb w/ the Buddy Club SuperLowDown bracket/slider. We had to ballast it to meet the ST* ruleset when I put it in Jimmy's car for 2015 Nats.

Originally Posted by heel2toe
I had a Magnaflow Ti exhaust (which is the same as JIC), and it weighed in at 11.6lb. The new plan is aluminum with a Vibrant race muffler in the cat location, and a turndown behind the front seats. That should save me a little weight.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 09:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Got a link to that slider/bracket? I'll have to pull the seat bracket off and see what just the seat weighs but I think its around 20 lbs. I was also adding the harness in my weight since it was additional and that may have been another 5lbs of stuff. Will certainly revisit that.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Got a link to that slider/bracket? I'll have to pull the seat bracket off and see what just the seat weighs but I think its around 20 lbs. I was also adding the harness in my weight since it was additional and that may have been another 5lbs of stuff. Will certainly revisit that.
Here's the bracket http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...e=BC_SPEC_RAIL

I believe the seat itself was around 13lb.

Quick Reply: Curb weight reduction