Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Spinning front, inside tire.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Someone I can get in touch with. I didn't think it was out of the question, but maybe so. I went with an aftermarket diff, anyway. I should have it in a few days and be back in business. Woot.

Yeeeeeeah. yeeeeeeeeeeeeah. I know: wanting to get a quote and discuss options before shipping my stuff. Silly, I know. :P
which did you get?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:53 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
which did you get?
I found a NIB Cusco RS for $800. Couldn't pass it up.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I found a NIB Cusco RS for $800. Couldn't pass it up.
that's the one I run. cusco 1.5 rs. but I had jon@tre sit it up for me, ie how many springs to use, how aggressive I wanted it to be.. he also custom designed a heavy duty side cover for the cusco lol.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:33 PM
kaj

that's the one I run. cusco 1.5 rs. but I had jon@tre sit it up for me, ie how many springs to use, how aggressive I wanted it to be.. he also custom designed a heavy duty side cover for the cusco lol.
Yeah, the customization is pretty awesome. I found a complete guide, in English, that goes over how to set up the RS, MZ, and Hybrid diffs. Very interesting read. It breaks it down with drawings, so even I can understand it
Looks like you arrange the plates and align the cam angle depending on how you want the car to react. Very cool stuff. I'm seriously geeking out, right now LOL
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Yeah, the customization is pretty awesome. I found a complete guide, in English, that goes over how to set up the RS, MZ, and Hybrid diffs. Very interesting read. It breaks it down with drawings, so even I can understand it
Looks like you arrange the plates and align the cam angle depending on how you want the car to react. Very cool stuff. I'm seriously geeking out, right now LOL
looked at the same diagram around the time I was getting mine. very cool stuff, very customizable. only problem is it's not easy to try a setting, pop it out, try a different one, etc.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:52 PM
kaj

looked at the same diagram around the time I was getting mine. very cool stuff, very customizable. only problem is it's not easy to try a setting, pop it out, try a different one, etc.
Yeah. They make it sound like it takes 5mins LOL. I've done some research on the settings and have an idea where to start. We'll see how that goes. I have a local AutoX event coming up that will be a good place to do some testing.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

I believe I'm running 8 of the 12 springs, don't recall how much preload. if there's a way to set it to "1.3" I would.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 01:44 PM
kaj

I believe I'm running 8 of the 12 springs, don't recall how much preload. if there's a way to set it to "1.3" I would.
Too much lock on decel? That's my main concern. I don't want to have too much and have to fight that on turn in. From what the guide says, it recommends 2-way for road racing. ... but I dunno about that. I think I understand that it mentions changing the cam angle to determine how quickly the diff locks up, then also pressure plates to determine "There are three different types of pressure rings; 1-Way & 1.5-Way, 1-Way & 2-Way, and 1.5-Way & 2-Way". That's kinda confusing. Then there is plate configuration for amount of lock, but nothing on the springs. Maybe "springs" are the same as "pressure plates"?
As for accel, looks like we can also set 60%, 80%, and 100% lock. I'm also trying to figure out where I want that.
I'm definitely going to to have to find more resources. Why can't school be this interesting (I'm supposed to be doing homework right now LOL).
Old Jun 11, 2018, 01:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
The "way"s just denotes how the diff behaves. A 1 way only locks under acceleration, a 2 way locks under acceleration and deceleration and a 1.5 locks under acceleration and deceleration but with more lock in accel than decel and that's where the finesse of adjusting it comes into play. Some people prefer 1 ways over 1.5 ways, and vice versa, but it mostly depends on your driving style and what kind of driving you're doing. I've never heard of people actually using 2 ways for competitive driving except for some rally cars.

Originally Posted by kaj
Why can't school be this interesting (I'm supposed to be doing homework right now LOL).
It can be if you go to the right school

Last edited by Ayoustin; Jun 11, 2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 01:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Someone I can get in touch with. I didn't think it was out of the question, but maybe so. I went with an aftermarket diff, anyway. I should have it in a few days and be back in business. Woot.Yeeeeeeah. yeeeeeeeeeeeeah. I know: wanting to get a quote and discuss options before shipping my stuff. Silly, I know. :P
It's like $1100 for all the options IIRC, and there is no point to not get all the options. Maxlock, HD side cover, Sight glass rear cover, new bearings/seals, shot peening, correct setup of Gear backlash/Contact pattern and bearing preloads.

You can't just toss your new diff in there. You have to check/set bearing preload and gear backlash.
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Jun 11, 2018)
Old Jun 11, 2018, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
It's like $1100 for all the options IIRC, and there is no point to not get all the options. Maxlock, HD side cover, Sight glass rear cover, new bearings/seals, shot peening, correct setup of Gear backlash/Contact pattern and bearing preloads.

You can't just toss your new diff in there. You have to check/set bearing preload and gear backlash.
exactly this, which is why I had Jon set up my brand new cusco RS, which I recommend to you as well. I love having the sight glass too.

Originally Posted by kaj
Too much lock on decel? That's my main concern. I don't want to have too much and have to fight that on turn in. From what the guide says, it recommends 2-way for road racing. ... but I dunno about that. I think I understand that it mentions changing the cam angle to determine how quickly the diff locks up, then also pressure plates to determine "There are three different types of pressure rings; 1-Way & 1.5-Way, 1-Way & 2-Way, and 1.5-Way & 2-Way". That's kinda confusing. Then there is plate configuration for amount of lock, but nothing on the springs. Maybe "springs" are the same as "pressure plates"?
As for accel, looks like we can also set 60%, 80%, and 100% lock. I'm also trying to figure out where I want that.
I'm definitely going to to have to find more resources. Why can't school be this interesting (I'm supposed to be doing homework right now LOL).
I did have too much lock on decal for my setup and driving. not so much anymore. guide is wrong about 2-way. mine is still 1.5 way, it's semi-locked on decal. I'm kind of curious about a 1 way set up, but I'm not sure that is ideal either. I thought the cusco could be set up "1.3" way, which I'd do. and you can do the same deactivation of clutch plates for less lockup that mitsu had with our diffs from the factory.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...co-RS-LSD.aspx

here's a great article on the cusco. I believe it goes over what the springs do, and I believe it's the opposite of how the springs in the os giken works. it's been a while since I read the article though, but the diff itself should pretty much be the same as ours.
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Jun 11, 2018)
Old Jun 11, 2018, 02:17 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by ayoustin
The "way"s just denotes how the diff behaves. A 1 way only locks under acceleration, a 2 way locks under acceleration and deceleration and a 1.5 locks under acceleration and deceleration but with more lock in accel than decel ...
It can be if you go to the right school
Correct on all counts! FWIW: I'm not confused on how the diff works so much as how Cusco's guide explains how to set them up. I'm used to, say a 1.5-way rear diff, but the guide lists them as "1way and 2 way, 1way and 1.5way", etc. I'm not sure why there is an "and". I do see there is are first and second cam angles. I just started reading up on this and have a ways to go before deciding if it's something I feel comfortable doing. It seems super simple, but the guide's wording is really confusing LOL

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Of course. I shot an email to TRE... we'll see. Plan B is a local shop that does diffs and transmissions for race cars, up and down the state. I'd trust the to get the measurements right, if all else fails.

I did have too much lock on decal for my setup and driving. not so much anymore. guide is wrong about 2-way. mine is still 1.5 way, it's semi-locked on decal. I'm kind of curious about a 1 way set up, but I'm not sure that is ideal either. I thought the cusco could be set up "1.3" way, which I'd do. and you can do the same deactivation of clutch plates for less lockup that mitsu had with our diffs from the factory.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...co-RS-LSD.aspx

here's a great article on the cusco. I believe it goes over what the springs do, and I believe it's the opposite of how the springs in the os giken works. it's been a while since I read the article though, but the diff itself should pretty much be the same as ours.
Article saved! Great info, thank you.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

np. motoiq publishes some really good info at times. I think you mentioned the weir discs were smooth - you can see from this article all the grooves the cusco provides on its plates, which I also had jon@tre treat anyway.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 02:41 PM
kaj

np. motoiq publishes some really good info at times. I think you mentioned the weir discs were smooth - you can see from this article all the grooves the cusco provides on its plates, which I also had jon@tre treat anyway.
Yeah, Weir is the only company I've seen smooth plates. Every other diff I've seen, including TRE's, uses oil grooves. My spidey senses were going off when I was installing the Weir stuff, but I figured "meh, they must know what they are doing". Often times I'm too trusting.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Yeah, Weir is the only company I've seen smooth plates. Every other diff I've seen, including TRE's, uses oil grooves. My spidey senses were going off when I was installing the Weir stuff, but I figured "meh, they must know what they are doing". Often times I'm too trusting.
during one of my long talks with jon@tre lol, he mentioned how Ferrari was pushing disc surfaces to the limit, and ultimately found that the discs can be too smooth and end up slicing fluid off of the surface. dimpled/grooved discs work better to keep gear oil on the discs, and how gear oil can be likened to salad dressings, serving as a medium to trap the additives used in them.

Quick Reply: Spinning front, inside tire.