Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Spinning front, inside tire.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was at the Finger Lakes Champ Tour this past weekend. Super grippy asphalt with one small concrete section. I had suspicion of raising the inside front wheel before, but this last event somewhat confirmed it. The front wheel is not so far off the ground, but just enough where the inside of the tire is barely hanging on and will spin when getting back on the throttle, before the weight moves back forward. I'll snap some pics when I get the wheels out of the backseat and you can clearly see just how chewed up they are. Evo X with -3.5 degrees front camber and stock AYC rear diff.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Ive got pictures of lifting front inside with bigger front bar and OEM uprights. It doesnt hang like a rear can, but my car was able to lift it previously. Not an issue anymore with fixed roll centers and no front swaybar.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by BigT
Was at the Finger Lakes Champ Tour this past weekend. Super grippy asphalt with one small concrete section. I had suspicion of raising the inside front wheel before, but this last event somewhat confirmed it. The front wheel is not so far off the ground, but just enough where the inside of the tire is barely hanging on and will spin when getting back on the throttle, before the weight moves back forward. I'll snap some pics when I get the wheels out of the backseat and you can clearly see just how chewed up they are. Evo X with -3.5 degrees front camber and stock AYC rear diff.
http://sololive.scca.com/STU.php

this
you? congrats!

If I ever take my trans out I think i'll add a 1 way clutch into it, just to dodge this issue. I recently wrote a letter re-asking for a single aftermarket LSD for STU awd cars... lol
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:23 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I'm on a stock FSB. I thought the OEM rear diff was giving up the ghost, swapped to the Weir and was thinking the same. I'm still not 100% what's going on. All I know is: if I toss the Cusco unit in and STILL have a problem then......
Old Jun 13, 2018, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Yep, thats me. Thank you. Wish the class was a little bigger though. It was very fun running there. Insane amount of grip for asphalt and big space for a course. Easily my highest average MPH this season including a nice 3rd gear/75mph finish.

I'm going to try a few things to keep the front down... First, set the front CIRO brackets to stock. If i'm confident with the over-steer, i'll also set the rear bar to full stuff. I plan on raising the whole car a quarter inch before the next alignment. Hoping it will affect the geometry in a positive way.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 05:20 PM
kaj

So, I got the new diff in.. can anyone explain to me how in heck this is supposed to work? I would expect both sides to look kinda like on the box; with bearings to fit into the housing. But the one I have has this weird, giant bearing and opening. Am I to reuse part of the OEM unit and I'm just not remembering??
I tried to Google but could only find the same, generic picture for every single ad/article, etc.

Thanks, in advance!

Old Jun 13, 2018, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

yeesh no idea here lol jon did it all for me
Old Jun 13, 2018, 09:06 PM
kaj

I figured it out. The guy sold me a differential for an Evo eight and nine with active yaw control.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

hm thought it was the same
Old Jun 13, 2018, 09:18 PM
kaj

No sir. U.S. Board, he's in CA, said he was using it in a shop car in CA, who would think to ask that it was non-AYC? Didn't even cross my mind.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 04:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
It's like $1100 for all the options IIRC, and there is no point to not get all the options. Maxlock, HD side cover, Sight glass rear cover, new bearings/seals, shot peening, correct setup of Gear backlash/Contact pattern and bearing preloads.

You can't just toss your new diff in there. You have to check/set bearing preload and gear backlash.
tell me more about this sight glass rear cover!

I have one of the cusco RS diffs on the way from japan currently. overnight parts from japan yea boi!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 08:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
tell me more about this sight glass rear cover!

I have one of the cusco RS diffs on the way from japan currently. overnight parts from japan yea boi!
He puts a sight glass in the stock fill plug hole, and machines a new fill plug hole above it. Make its super easy to get the proper fill in the rear diff.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Jason,

That diff, so that is Cusco for AYC diff?
For Evo 7/8/9?

I assume it disables AYC?

I know a guy who was selling a JDM E7 that was converted to LHD if I remember this correctly, and he had extra parts. One of the parts was Cusco rear LSD. Maybe that is the same person?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

You basically just leave the clutch packs full of oil. blank off the lines and then on the pump side u just loop it back into the pump again. so yea essentially disables the ayc.

Thats how i had it explained to me anyway. ill let you know in a week or so when i drop my diff off to ralliart to install my cusco RS into my AYC diff haha.

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Jason,

That diff, so that is Cusco for AYC diff?
For Evo 7/8/9?

I assume it disables AYC?

I know a guy who was selling a JDM E7 that was converted to LHD if I remember this correctly, and he had extra parts. One of the parts was Cusco rear LSD. Maybe that is the same person?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

so is it time to start a thread and see who uses how many springs and clutch packs etc see what people have found?

Quick Reply: Spinning front, inside tire.