Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Spinning front, inside tire.

Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:43 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I'm old school and would gladly trade my electronics due mechanical diffs in all three areas.
helical F and C, plated R.
But...since I do have the ECU, at least we can tune them!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'm old school and would gladly trade my electronics due mechanical diffs in all three areas.
helical F and C, plated R.
But...since I do have the ECU, at least we can tune them!
You just said that you would rather down grade and go slower because you don't like "new" things. That makes sense...

There is a reason active diffs were invented.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
is that like how we all drive dual clutch transmissions to eke out every tenth? oh wait.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 02:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 720 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You just said that you would rather down grade and go slower because you don't like "new" things. That makes sense...

This... lol.

Its hard as we get older to accept new things when the old things work just fine. But that's how old grumpy people are made. I decided a long time ago to accept change is going to happen, embrace it early, get ahead of the curve.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 04:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
is that like how we all drive dual clutch transmissions to eke out every tenth? oh wait.
I often talk about my future track car being an Evo X MR. It has 2 active diffs, AND a DCT box. Somone finally makes a viable stroker crank for the 4b11 too..

Upgrading a car to a DCT box is hard, with cost being the biggest issue. But to talk about literally downgrading components because you're "old school" is pretty silly. That's like we should all go back to turbo with cast compressor wheels, ditch EFI in favor of carbs, and stick a points distributor with fixed timing on the end of the exhaust cam because who wants a pesky COP ignition. Oh, make sure to delete your Mivec too, wouldn't want any of that technology doing cool stuff for you.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 04:41 PM
kaj

I didn't say I don't like new things. And it's not as melodramatic at as you make it seem.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

I often talk about my future track car being an Evo X MR. It has 2 active diffs, AND a DCT box. Somone finally makes a viable stroker crank for the 4b11 too..

Upgrading a car to a DCT box is hard, with cost being the biggest issue. But to talk about literally downgrading components because you're "old school" is pretty silly. That's like we should all go back to turbo with cast compressor wheels, ditch EFI in favor of carbs, and stick a points distributor with fixed timing on the end of the exhaust cam because who wants a pesky COP ignition. Oh, make sure to delete your Mivec too, wouldn't want any of that technology doing cool stuff for you.
i think you're greatly misconstruing those comments. it's about fun. if something is more fun, be it mechanical diffs, manual transmission, whatever, more power to em. some people won't touch awd in favor of rwd, despite awd being the superior drivetrain. not gonna poopoo everyone who wants to do things their own way cuz it's not as fast
Old Jan 23, 2019, 08:26 PM
kaj

If I were all about the faster lap time, my car would be built a whole different way. It's built for my enjoyment and mine only. It's not the fastest but I enjoy it the most. I'll never claim my preferences are for everyone. I do chase lap times ,but only within the parameters of the car being fun for me to drive.
Shoot, If it were only about lap times, it's possible I wouldn't even have my Evo.
Yeah, paddle shifters are faster, AYC makes a car faster. So does more power. So do a lot of things that I have no interest in.

....yet. 😉
Old Jan 23, 2019, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

i'd trade the evo & the m3 and get a gtr. but that's not what i want in my weekend sports cars
Old Jan 23, 2019, 08:35 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kyoo
i'd trade the evo & the m3 and get a gtr. but that's not what i want in my weekend sports cars
Right? They are so fast...but just not as fun, for me.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 09:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 720 Likes on 566 Posts
I can fully appreciate wanting to strip out too much of the impure aspects of a mechanical Evo but it really is simple and robust with just a few things to think about (dont let it get salty bro). And the alternative is? Viscous, and? I dont even know if theres a quality replacement.
Big diff from a complete computerized transmission or Traction control. I think the Center diff to me is more seamless in action like the ABS where you shouldn't know its there.

My S4 is DCT and I try every once in a while (tried today actually) to drive in normally in manual mode. Its so totally devoid of feel, I could only know when it shift by looking down at RPM. DDing a manual, think about how often you actually have to look at the speed. Its just more engaging in feel vs waiting for a visual queue. The S4 + DCT is such a good DD but I really struggle to have fun with it on the street other than a little heavy throttle and let it pick a gear. Might as well be a slush box, which is what they did with the B9.

But I do agree on the EvoX. If I was building a pure track car at this point, I think the X is far enough along I wouldn't have a problem with it and its DCT.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

cusco used to make a 35/65. i'm a huge fan of the acd though, just makes me laugh to think about going down the rabbithole of how people want to set up their cars their own way and what's fun, what's fast, whatevver
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
ACD is pretty bulletproof though... SST on the other hand....
Old Jan 24, 2019, 08:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 572 Likes on 430 Posts
I prefer non acd because it less things to fail, to leak, less weight and takes up less space. It obviously provides benefits or it never would've been put into the evo. Cusco used to offer a replacement center diff (they still might) and Quaife does as well. I have no issues getting grip, the car rotates how I want it so I see no reason to add acd.

Mivec would be nice to have but people want so much more for mivec heads and I don't feel like doing all the work to change it over, maybe in the future I'll span that gap but for now non mivec is fine by me.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 08:21 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by ayoustin
I prefer non acd because it less things to fail, to leak, less weight and takes up less space. It obviously provides benefits or it never would've been put into the evo. Cusco used to offer a replacement center diff (they still might) and Quaife does as well. I have no issues getting grip, the car rotates how I want it so I see no reason to add acd.

Mivec would be nice to have but people want so much more for mivec heads and I don't feel like doing all the work to change it over, maybe in the future I'll span that gap but for now non mivec is fine by me.
I like simple, less fluids,.less electronics, parts I can diagnose and replace. Less stuff in the way, in the car. Blah blah. Just me.
If I ever build a car where I'm trying to be as fast as possible, at all costs, that will be different. I'll take full advantage of anything I can, at that point.
For now, I'm just having fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spinning front, inside tire.