Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Spinning front, inside tire.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
The only people who can actually make use of a 110% 10/10ths no expense spared build are professional drivers. I don't care to make everything as best as it can be because it wouldn't make me any faster.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Meh I'd argue as you have in the past, there is no penalty for a better handling car. Besides the performance benefits, I'd say building it all the best you can (within a budget/spec) is lots of fun build wise. And building in my opinion is at least 1/2 the fun in owning these cars. If a car came with ACD I wouldn't replace it unless I was building a drag car, would just maximize it best I could. This also stays true to the model line/year of car you have. Work with whatcha got. I wouldn't add ACD to a non ACD car, or mivec for that matter.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Meh I'd argue as you have in the past, there is no penalty for a better handling car. Besides the performance benefits, I'd say building it all the best you can (within a budget/spec) is lots of fun build wise. And building in my opinion is at least 1/2 the fun in owning these cars. If a car came with ACD I wouldn't replace it unless I was building a drag car, would just maximize it best I could. This also stays true to the model line/year of car you have. Work with whatcha got. I wouldn't add ACD to a non ACD car, or mivec for that matter.
I think we're singing the same tune here. There's no point for the average muggle to spend a ton making either of those changes in either direction because it wouldn't be worth it.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
I prefer non acd because it less things to fail, to leak, less weight and takes up less space. It obviously provides benefits or it never would've been put into the evo. Cusco used to offer a replacement center diff (they still might) and Quaife does as well. I have no issues getting grip, the car rotates how I want it so I see no reason to add acd.

Mivec would be nice to have but people want so much more for mivec heads and I don't feel like doing all the work to change it over, maybe in the future I'll span that gap but for now non mivec is fine by me.
I got everything for my mivec conversion for $1400. Complete head (sensor housings, cams, reluctor wheels, mivec solenoid, mivec gear, etc), harness, ECU. So worth it. You can get $800-$1000 for your 8 head. Changing the harness and ECU takes 2-3 hours and is pretty simple with the engine out of the car. Now is def the time to do it for you.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I got everything for my mivec conversion for $1400. Complete head (sensor housings, cams, reluctor wheels, mivec solenoid, mivec gear, etc), harness, ECU. So worth it. You can get $800-$1000 for your 8 head. Changing the harness and ECU takes 2-3 hours and is pretty simple with the engine out of the car. Now is def the time to do it for you.
Lol if I keep up the pace I've held for the past 2 years I'll have the motor out again next year. I'll go mivec when it comes time to build a proper engine for the car.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:38 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I don't plan to pull the ACD in favor of a mechanical diff, but I'd prefer mechanical.
my car is all setup already.
If my tcase died I'd consider replacing with a really nice mech unit, though, depending on price vs an ACD unit.
I​​'ve seen both work well, so am.open to either.
Not fighting the ACD line to get to the top tcase bolt would be nice LOL
Old Jan 24, 2019, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Not fighting the ACD line to get to the top tcase bolt would be nice LOL
rally cars run a dry break on that line and dont run that bolt that is obstructed by the acd line banjo... that is why they do a clutch change in 25 min..

as for acd vs mechanical.. it really depends on the use... on slippery stuff ACD is really a benefit..

Old Jan 24, 2019, 01:25 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
rally cars run a dry break on that line and dont run that bolt that is obstructed by the acd line banjo... that is why they do a clutch change in 25 min..

as for acd vs mechanical.. it really depends on the use... on slippery stuff ACD is really a benefit..
I don't run that bolt either. LOL. A custom line and fitting sure would help, though.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I know the pain of the banjo and that bolt well, but I would never run without it. Drag launches on hoosiers during pro solo weekends makes me want every last bolt in the drivetrain and then some.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
I think the only advantage of acd is that you can lock the rear wheels when you grab the ebrake.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:29 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by griceiv
I think the only advantage of acd is that you can lock the rear wheels when you grab the ebrake.
Tuning it is nice. HUGE difference from stock.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
also, the way the car can change direction when sliding around is something else.. cant do that with passive diffs that easily.. Evo's 4wd system is not constructed purely for steady state traction.. if anything it it is about yaw control
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:16 PM
kaj

As if on cue, my ACD pump.is taking a crap. It Must have read my posts.
now I get to **** with a pump instead of just driving the car. Awesome.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
eek, any clue why its going out? Rebuildable or something you need just replace? Ive been thinking this year I need to just start collecting spares of a few big ticket things like ACD pump, trans, T-case, axles, etc.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:33 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Dallas J
eek, any clue why its going out? Rebuildable or something you need just replace? Ive been thinking this year I need to just start collecting spares of a few big ticket things like ACD pump, trans, T-case, axles, etc.
I made a thread about it. Short version is that I swapped transmissions, it started buzzing, and every time I bleed it, it's fine for about a half mile then starts again.

I should get rid of it altogether.

I bought a rebuild kit, they are up to $120 now. I was gonna buy another pump to stash away, but they are all $650+ now. Things are getting harder to find and prices are going up.

At this rate, I may as well find a rebuilt non-ACD t case
The following users liked this post:
flmjr (Aug 29, 2019)

Quick Reply: Spinning front, inside tire.