Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Cooling Setups for Track Use

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
FYI, your water is definitely going into a cylinder, just that somehow Evo manages to combust it without obviously smoking.
I never seen an Evo smoke from head gasket, but I've seen Evo loose water via HG leak, and seem OK. Most cars do smoke, not sure why Evo does not seem to exhibit this typical sign of bad HG.

What is noteworthy is that bad Evo HG is usually accompanied, if not caused, by warped head and also block with slight dip in the center along the axis (on top surface parallel axis to crank - the center of the deck lower than sides).
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Don't delay repair, your head will corrode where its leaking, and so will your block.
No joke. And its challenging to add material and questionable especially to block.

So pull it, flatten block and head, than you know you are good.
Yea it's coming out sometime in the next month when I find time. Hoping the head isn't warped again and I can just give it a quick half thou pass to clean it off.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
bumping this

Setup:
Radiator - stock
Radiator fan - stock
Radiator cap - stock
Thermostat - stock
Oil cooler - Setrab/Map kit
Oil Pan - Racefab sump ~6.5 qts
Fluid - Zerex Asian Vehicle Fluid 50/50 + Redline water wetter
Water temp gauge - stock
Power/torque - 310/290

I'm looking into upgrading the radiator & fan for a direct replacement - Koyo looks good for radiator, I've seen fan fitment issues - should I be ok with stock here, or should I go for something else? I've seen a few aftermarket ones tout lighter weight, how much of a difference are we talking here?

I haven't noticed any coolant overheating issues to date, but I don't measure it closely. I also have a ported and coated exhaust manifold to decrease the heat output there, which may help. I also have a ceramic coated downpipe to help with heat by the oil pan also.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 03:45 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I've always been told the OEM radiator works better than anything aftermarket (unless something's changed in the past couple years). It may be hard to find something that works as well. The OEM radiator is thinner, and made of aluminum/plastic so not sure how anything can be lighter. Especially once an aftermarket radiator is full of fluid. I looked into replacing my fan because THAT is really heavy, but I'm too lazy to make a shroud. Otherwise, an aftermarket fan is also not really all that great.
Are you not happy with your current cooling?
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Dec 6, 2018)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I've always been told the OEM radiator works better than anything aftermarket (unless something's changed in the past couple years). It may be hard to find something that works as well. The OEM radiator is thinner, and made of aluminum/plastic so not sure how anything can be lighter. Especially once an aftermarket radiator is full of fluid. I looked into replacing my fan because THAT is really heavy, but I'm too lazy to make a shroud. Otherwise, an aftermarket fan is also not really all that great.
Are you not happy with your current cooling?
nope just making sure i cover my bases
Old Dec 5, 2018, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Some of the Koyos are thicker than OEM so that can push the fan shroud much closer to diverter valves and the like so beware of that.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Dec 6, 2018)
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The CSF slim rad with slim fan cools just as well as OEM. Possibly better. My car does well with it even at over 450whp on track.

The mishimoto is garbage, and the Koyo works, but its yuge (thiccc). Lol
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

I mean really you can't overcool an engine unless you're not running a thermostat. So as long as you can keep temps within 20-30F of your thermostat open temp your setup should be sufficient.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 07:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
I mean really you can't overcool an engine unless you're not running a thermostat. So as long as you can keep temps within 20-30F of your thermostat open temp your setup should be sufficient.
^This. But there is something to be said about moving away from the plastic end tanks of the OE rad. My Koyo is big and heavy. The SPAL slim fan works well at controlling temps even without a shroud. I have it set to turn on straight to 100% in the ECU though. I didnt need to do this but why not. The thing isnt loud by any means.

I'd like to go to a CBRD Rad just to shed more weight though.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V.8MR
^This. But there is something to be said about moving away from the plastic end tanks of the OE rad. My Koyo is big and heavy. The SPAL slim fan works well at controlling temps even without a shroud. I have it set to turn on straight to 100% in the ECU though. I didnt need to do this but why not. The thing isnt loud by any means.

I'd like to go to a CBRD Rad just to shed more weight though.
you are referring to this one?

http://www.cbrdspeedfactory.com/ultr...ator-with-fan/

the more i read, the more i'm glad/think the exhaust manifold getting coated (and ported while you're at it) is a must. i still also keep the factory heat shield on it anyway too
Old Dec 7, 2018, 07:45 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
My cooling system runs at 3-5psi. Plastic end tanks are quite happy.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 09:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
you are referring to this one?

http://www.cbrdspeedfactory.com/ultr...ator-with-fan/

the more i read, the more i'm glad/think the exhaust manifold getting coated (and ported while you're at it) is a must. i still also keep the factory heat shield on it anyway too
Yeah thats the one. Also has Evo6 style input from Tstat housing. But its damn pricey.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:13 PM
EvoM Guru

For what it is it's worth it IMO. I'll be getting a CBRD rad when the time comes. As for exhaust coatings and heat shields they're always a good idea on a car that sees extended track time.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 04:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Order the CSF. It's in stock, no hassle, works and looks good. Is also a slim rad with Evo 6 upper hose placement.

No BS with Chad at CBRD saying 2-3 weeks and then it takes 12 weeks and then the POS hits the AC condenser.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Dec 9, 2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Yeah thats the one. Also has Evo6 style input from Tstat housing. But its damn pricey.
+1 on moving to the Evo VI style with the hose not going directly over the exhaust manifold (shielded or not).