Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Cooling Setups for Track Use

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 01:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
so all ive learnt today is avoid a guy named chad hahahah.

I run a Fenix brand radiator which is basically just a generic chinese one. i struggle to keep temps down when it comes off track hot with just 1 fan but its okay with 2. its fine when u warm it up from cold but if its already warm it isnt happy with the heat soak. Need to put a second fan on it.

Also plan to chop the upper rad support out so i can slide it into the void that that will leave moving it further away from the turbo
Old May 9, 2019, 02:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
**cough** **cough** don't forget the stakes on the bottom being mounted in the wrong spot too Oh and the hood that didn't want to close, that is assuming you plan to use a radiator cap which I'd imagine most here would prefer to keep I don't know who this guy, Im told he is very good looking but I don't play for that team so cant comment but pretty sure he was not thrilled about his CBRD radiator experience.
Idk, kinda has big goofy ears.

But yes, now I recall these additional issues with his CBRD turd..... I mean radiator.
Old May 9, 2019, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Hahaha you say that like its a bad thing.

Exhibit A I give you a beagle...look at those guys!

Old May 9, 2019, 07:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
I didn't mean to start a CBRD flame war, thought someone was interested. In any case i cant spare 600bucks for a rad right now. My koyo will have to do. Need to get some money together for a trailer and trailer related accessories.
Old May 9, 2019, 07:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Doing some research on cooling and airflow... I may do a half radiator and some ducting blocking off all the extra stuff up front. I "think" with proper ducting I should have enough cooling for a couple hot laps then cool down laps for TT/TA and will be fine for AX since I spray FMIC/Oil Cooler/Radiator between runs since you cant over-cool those.
Old May 9, 2019, 07:35 PM
EvoM Guru

I considered going 1/2rad. Esp since i dont ever plan on over 450whp. But i dont think I have the skill to do proper ducting and make it work right.
Old May 9, 2019, 07:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Kinda surprised there isnt a suitable radiator/oil cooler in 1 package like ive seen for other cars.
Old May 9, 2019, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
STM also makes a slim CSF radiator. I find the Sheepy Built CSF radiator to be a better deal compared to the STM radiator. However, if money was no object...

https://stmtuned.com/products/stm-ev...-slim-radiator
Old May 9, 2019, 08:46 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Kinda surprised there isnt a suitable radiator/oil cooler in 1 package like ive seen for other cars.
Would combining allow for everything to cool as much as keeping them separate? Part of what makes the OEM radiator work so well is because it's so thin. Having 250* oil running through the same setup may make everything heat up faster and cool less? Just thinking out loud.
I plan to move my oil cooler up to the "grill" opening of my bumper cover to make room for brake ducting... not so sure even that will work as well as it does now, though...
Old May 9, 2019, 09:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by deylag
STM also makes a slim CSF radiator. I find the Sheepy Built CSF radiator to be a better deal compared to the STM radiator. However, if money was no object...

https://stmtuned.com/products/stm-ev...-slim-radiator
That sheepey build radiator is the same one I mentioned earlier. I've got 3 of them in cars here making good power with no issues.
Old May 10, 2019, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
is the only problem with the oem one the plastic end tanks?
Old May 10, 2019, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
The OEM rad like many things on our car is fairly stout in stock form. The plastic end tanks do eventually separate at the crimp. From a cooling perspective, they seem to work quite well. Only reasons I see that warrant switching are, its leaking, need more room (which can get away with slim fan usually) want to drop weight (again fan assembly is where all the weight is) or want to move the upper rad hose over due to tubular manifold.
Old May 10, 2019, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
The OEM rad like many things on our car is fairly stout in stock form. The plastic end tanks do eventually separate at the crimp. From a cooling perspective, they seem to work quite well. Only reasons I see that warrant switching are, its leaking, need more room (which can get away with slim fan usually) want to drop weight (again fan assembly is where all the weight is) or want to move the upper rad hose over due to tubular manifold.
This is pretty much why I still have the OEM rad. Feeling like its probably best to just get a fresh OEM rad incase this one decides to leak. Unfortunately, thats more expensive than other options if I find a new one.
Old May 10, 2019, 09:28 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
is the only problem with the oem one the plastic end tanks?
I think so. The only reason I've seen people swap them out is due to leaking end tanks. That's the only reason I run Evans (stable temps/no hot pockets is a bonus). I can run the car without a radiator cap, if I had to. The radiator may see 5-7psi or so, max. That keeps the end tanks very happy. I still have another OEM rad in the garage, just in case though
I'd like to swap the OEM fan out for something lighter and with a shroud, if I could find something that would mount nicely.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:31 AM
EvoM Guru

The plastic end tanks, and the YUGE fan that takes up a bunch of room.