2019 D-Street discussions - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2019 D-Street discussions

Old Oct 30, 2018, 02:53 PM
  #1  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
 
MrAWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Reading, MA
Posts: 1,513
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
2019 D-Street discussions

Old links:
2018 B-Street discussion
2017 b street discussion
2015 scca b-street evo discussion

There was a hope on horizon in the potential move of most of the AWD cars to D-Street. Guess what - it just happened! Here is a November Fast Track, for those looking at more details. Either way, now EVOs have a great place to play in Street and they could easily be contenders for National Championships to come!
MrAWD is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 04:11 PM
  #2  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11,308
Thanked 594 Times in 565 Posts
Pretty hilarious that the 2018 Golf R is still in BS, while 15-17 is in DS with the rest of the AWD's. Same car with a face lift.

I'll continue on my feelings that scca has too many classes, with too many rules. Feels like it's setup for everyone to get a trophy.
letsgetthisdone is online now  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 04:21 PM
  #3  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
 
MrAWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Reading, MA
Posts: 1,513
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
Pretty hilarious that the 2018 Golf R is still in BS, while 15-17 is in DS with the rest of the AWD's. Same car with a face lift.

I'll continue on my feelings that scca has too many classes, with too many rules. Feels like it's setup for everyone to get a trophy.
I strongly believe that 2018 R is just an error and it will be fixed shortly. But, if you have really strong feelings about this, just write a letter!!
MrAWD is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 04:31 PM
  #4  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Dallas J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 3,355
Thanked 125 Times in 103 Posts
SCCA does have too many classes. There could definitely be some consolidation. But I find the bigger issue is giving like 1/3rd of people trophies at Nats. So many trophies!

Good move for the Rally cars to DS but street is boring, needs more mods
Dallas J is online now  
Old Oct 30, 2018, 04:51 PM
  #5  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11,308
Thanked 594 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
SCCA does have too many classes. There could definitely be some consolidation. But I find the bigger issue is giving like 1/3rd of people trophies at Nats. So many trophies!

Good move for the Rally cars to DS but street is boring, needs more mods
1/3 of the people getting trophies stems from too many classes lol
letsgetthisdone is online now  
Old Oct 31, 2018, 04:57 AM
  #6  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (41)
 
EVO8LTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,008
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD View Post
Old links:
2018 B-Street discussion
2017 b street discussion
2015 scca b-street evo discussion

There was a hope on horizon in the potential move of most of the AWD cars to D-Street. Guess what - it just happened! Here is a November Fast Track, for those looking at more details. Either way, now EVOs have a great place to play in Street and they could easily be contenders for National Championships to come!
Do you really think the AWD will beat the RWD Camaro king? Seems like a reach. Better sell your Evo X and get a 2.0L Camaro! (private joke)

Will the 2019 1LE Camaro 2.0 be legal in DS next year? My 2017 1LE Camaro V6 was quite a bit more capable than the regular V6 model, if that is any indication of the 4cyl 1LE's potential competitiveness.
EVO8LTW is offline  
Old Oct 31, 2018, 07:29 AM
  #7  
EvoM Moderator
iTrader: (28)
 
kyoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: US
Posts: 7,459
Thanked 68 Times in 68 Posts
i think the old cars, in stock form, can't get it done. way way too soft, wheels too narrow compared to more modern cars, and don't have the space to fit wider rubber on stock fenders. btw, who still even has a stock 8/9? lol
kyoo is offline  
Old Oct 31, 2018, 09:03 AM
  #8  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Balrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North GA
Posts: 2,896
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo View Post
i think the old cars, in stock form, can't get it done. way way too soft, wheels too narrow compared to more modern cars, and don't have the space to fit wider rubber on stock fenders. btw, who still even has a stock 8/9? lol
I think I could build 2 or 3 with all the spares I have lol.
Balrok is offline  
Old Oct 31, 2018, 09:20 AM
  #9  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Dallas J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 3,355
Thanked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok View Post
I think I could build 2 or 3 with all the spares I have lol.
Im pretty sure I could make a solid STU car with what I have here. Should probably start getting rid of all these extras too
Dallas J is online now  
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:00 AM
  #10  
Evolving Member
 
Wanted EVO IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 179
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I think the stock Evo would hold it's own in DS, you still get to go wider wheel by one inch so a 255 tire is doable. Change 1 sway bar and then source the Bilsteins ( may or may not be class legal ). I hope to see how it plays out and agree that a stock Evo would be hard to find. A friend of mine bought a Fo RS and regrets it every day. He thought we would be able to hang with us in autox and he does like the car. He claims the Fo RS just has too much tech and its killing driver inputs and feedback. What car do you see having the advantage for the class?
Wanted EVO IX is offline  
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:09 AM
  #11  
EvoM Moderator
iTrader: (28)
 
kyoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: US
Posts: 7,459
Thanked 68 Times in 68 Posts
you don't get 1" wider wheel, you get +- 1" in diameter, ie 16x8 or 18x8.
kyoo is offline  
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:18 AM
  #12  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Dallas J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 3,355
Thanked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Street would be so much more balanced if they made a level playing field in wheel width. The fact you can change diameter and offset (small range, but some) means its silly they dont do some balancing with wheels to normalize at least that one variable. Could be something like if OEM < X, plus 1", or something along those lines. Newer cars cars and obscure packages would get balanced with normal specs and older cars. POTENTIALLY.. But this is why I have no interest in the street game.

I understand the "dont want to require people to change wheels" argument but the stupid shocks rule sorta makes that moot. If you are at a high enough level, you're 90% likely to have multiple sets of wheels for it regardless.
Dallas J is online now  
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:54 AM
  #13  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11,308
Thanked 594 Times in 565 Posts
And like you said with the modern "obscure packages", we have V6 and I4 muscle cars coming with 95 and 10" wide wheels with 285 and 295 wide tires. Puts AWD cars at a bid disadvantage as most come with a 235 or 245 on an 8 or 8.5" wheel.
letsgetthisdone is online now  
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:34 PM
  #14  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (8)
 
BigT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 1,003
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX View Post
I think the stock Evo would hold it's own in DS, you still get to go wider wheel by one inch so a 255 tire is doable. Change 1 sway bar and then source the Bilsteins ( may or may not be class legal ). I hope to see how it plays out and agree that a stock Evo would be hard to find. A friend of mine bought a Fo RS and regrets it every day. He thought we would be able to hang with us in autox and he does like the car. He claims the Fo RS just has too much tech and its killing driver inputs and feedback. What car do you see having the advantage for the class?
its +- 1 inch in diameter not width.
BigT is offline  
Old Oct 31, 2018, 04:40 PM
  #15  
Evolving Member
 
Wanted EVO IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 179
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
its +- 1 inch in diameter not width.
I was off in space with that comment, thanks for the correction guys.
Wanted EVO IX is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.