Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Crashed my evo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2010, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashed my evo

Dont know if you guys saw it in the general post... But today I got rear ended and im really mad...

I got hit at about 25 mph and my bumper is smashed and my exhaust is kinked like a V ...

no baker run for me (probably was going to be able to go anyways)

Time to find a painted JDM bumper and a new exhaust... although I wonder if they will just try to replace the broken part...

Also is it possible my turbo/engine area got messed up as well? Since the exhaust connects up there and it obviously got smashed pretty hard...

There is a terrible noise I fear is related to the drive train... i need to find a shop to take it too, any ideas?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

**** man, sorry to hear it!!! I'd be livid, that's for sure.

As for body shops, everyone here seems to love Bel-Kirk Auto Body, so I'd suggest them.

I highly doubt the damage to the exhaust would transfer further than the downpipe to turbo connection, that manifold is tough, and bolted up very well (for strength... not ease of removal).

If whoever hit you hit you hard enough, there is chance of frame damage which on an Evo will most likely = total, and is there any way the sound could potentially be the bent exhaust riding on any of the drive train components?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by drocksmash
Dont know if you guys saw it in the general post... But today I got rear ended and im really mad...

I got hit at about 25 mph and my bumper is smashed and my exhaust is kinked like a V ...

no baker run for me (probably was going to be able to go anyways)

Time to find a painted JDM bumper and a new exhaust... although I wonder if they will just try to replace the broken part...

Also is it possible my turbo/engine area got messed up as well? Since the exhaust connects up there and it obviously got smashed pretty hard...

There is a terrible noise I fear is related to the drive train... i need to find a shop to take it too, any ideas?
if you got rear ended than just make sure you have the adjuster (from the insurance company of the other party) look at the underside of the car and point out to him/her that there may be damage further down the exhaust since it does connect to the engine... also point out the drivetrain noise you are talking about.... a good adjuster should look at this but just be sure to point it out to them when they walk around the car. Good luck.

The insurance company usually gives you the option to either let them fix it or for you to pick a place where you want your car fixed. Do a little research and find a good body shop if you don't feel good about letting them fix it.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN

As for body shops, everyone here seems to love Bel-Kirk Auto Body, so I'd suggest them.

I highly doubt the damage to the exhaust would transfer further than the downpipe to turbo connection, that manifold is tough, and bolted up very well (for strength... not ease of removal).

If whoever hit you hit you hard enough, there is chance of frame damage which on an Evo will most likely = total, and is there any way the sound could potentially be the bent exhaust riding on any of the drive train components?

I hate being so new and clueless when it comes to the anatomy of my car (still working on learning it all)

The exhaust is only bent at the first connection to the pipe that runs back, so basically the 'axle' back connection, the rest APPEARS fine who knows if that is true,

I dont know if it is rubbing, the noise is not audible enough for a video and I really dont want to drive it at all.. let alone to a shop... I am wondering if I should have it towed somewhere once i talk to the shop.

I have dealt with progressive before, when I got ran over on my motorcycle and it was such a pain... hopefully times have changed.

I will call them tomorrow, demand my parts be replaced by a shop of my choosing and have them cut a check for a new exhaust and bumper and once i figure out this noise... watching her get put on the tow truck was so sad... havent been that close to tearing up in years
Old Sep 4, 2010, 02:02 AM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear that derek. i hope your insurance takes care of you. GL.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

Also if they try to total it I will be PISSED!!

I paid 4k cash, financed 16... they better pay me at least 20k to come out even... i have had it for less than a month!
Old Sep 4, 2010, 02:05 AM
Evolved Member

^no sh|t. gl sir.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

If it is a total, they're going to lowball offer you, unless its USAA or a similar insurance agency, and if they do, turn down the first offer until they give you book value on the car, or as close to it as you can get. Your considerable down means that you wont need GAP at all, which is good in the event that you don't have it lol.

Make sure you have a body shop look at it too, don't just trust the adjuster, sometimes they miss things, and if it's their adjuster, they may miss things on purpose, also and adjuster wont be able to tell if its a twisted or bent frame with out some way to take precision measurements or a frame rack (I think).
Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN

Would bel red be the place to take it to troubleshoot the drivetrain noise/issue? or autobody as in cosmetics only
Old Sep 4, 2010, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

not again! i had this same exact thing happen to me about a year ago man except I was the car that got sandwiched so i had front and rear damage...my exhaust was kinked the same way right behind the right rear tire...even my downpipe was bent...i made a post on here ...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/no...ded-idiot.html

I'm still dealing with the whole situation to this day...my car got fixed even though it ended up being $22k damage ...whole rear end of the car was rebuilt but so far so good i dont have any problems or noises and I track my car so its been tested...with my situation my car ended up being the least of my problems...Good Luck and dont let the insurance company try and screw you over
Old Sep 4, 2010, 09:42 AM

Bel-kirk body shop has a body shop and full alignment shop/ mechanical shop also. Pm me for info!!
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

ohhhh mannnn! thats freaking crazy! you just got it too! good luck getting some nice goodies out of it I hope
Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

photos are in the evo general thread about my accident, it wont let me repost

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ck-advice.html
Old Sep 5, 2010, 01:46 AM

Have you thought of putting it on a dyno to help find were the noise/noises are coming from. Btw I feel your pain man I have had to avoid idiots several times from every direction, it seems if you have a nice car it just makes you more of a targe.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DKC6691
Have you thought of putting it on a dyno to help find were the noise/noises are coming from. Btw I feel your pain man I have had to avoid idiots several times from every direction, it seems if you have a nice car it just makes you more of a targe.
I have never put it on a dyno, and Im sure a mechanic would be able to spot it it quickly if he rode in it 5 feet... ill see what happens though.. I will probably try to take it to the bel red auto place.

Quick Reply: Crashed my evo